• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What things were great but now are terrible?

Pretty much everything. Consumer products are designed to fail. Cars are designed to not be able to actually drive them. Food is shrinking in size so you need to purchase twice as much now.

School lunches. They were great when I was a kid, but now they are inedible -- no seasoning, no sugar, no butter, only skim milk, nonfat Ranch dressing. I see kids take one bite and throw the whole thing away.

Pretty much everything. Consumer products are designed to fail. Cars are designed to not be able to actually drive them. Food is shrinking in size so you need to purchase twice as much now.
Not sure about cars. People used to HAVE to buy new cars every 3 years because they were falling apart. My first career path was law enforcement and in the early 1970's we retired patrol cars at 70,000 miles. Now they run them 250,000 miles.
I have a 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid and the basic warranty on the hybrid components is 10 years or 150,000 miles

Not sure about cars. People used to HAVE to buy new cars every 3 years because they were falling apart. My first career path was law enforcement and in the early 1970's we retired patrol cars at 70,000 miles. Now they run them 250,000 miles.
I have a 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid and the basic warranty on the hybrid components is 10 years or 150,000 miles
I like cars from the 80's and 90's, back when you could actually drive them. I was a Toyota fan. Cars don't last longer now. It's just that all the rest of the manufacturers have finally caught up to Toyota. Toyota cars lasted just as long then as they do now.

I like cars from the 80's and 90's, back when you could actually drive them. I was a Toyota fan. Cars don't last longer now. It's just that all the rest of the manufacturers have finally caught up to Toyota. Toyota cars lasted just as long then as they do now.
I never thought I would own a Toyota. My first experience was with a company car, a 1974 Corolla. Cardboard door panels, no carpet, 1200 cc engine, 4 speed manual. A rolling tin can, but it never broke down.
A friend retired 2 years ago as a mechanic for 50 years at the local Toyota dealer. He never felt Toyotas were any better than most other cars. He said what made Toyota different was how aggressive they were in fixing their mistakes for free. Case in point, the Toyota V6 engines of the 1990s into the 2000s had huge issues with blown head gaskets. Toyota stood behind them. And if other issues were discovered during the head gasket repair, those were covered too. My friend had a customer bring in a Toyota Pickup with 400,000 miles on it with blown head gasket. He pulled the heads and the rings were shot too. Toyota didn't blink, the authorized a brand new engine for free.
Ford has the same issue with their V6's, I had one. Ford did offer a free extended warranty, but it only covered the car until it had 60,000 miles.

My friend had a customer bring in a Toyota Pickup with 400,000 miles on it with blown head gasket. He pulled the heads and the rings were shot too. Toyota didn't blink, the authorized a brand new engine for free.
Wow, that's way more impressive than the guy I know. 88 4Runner 3.0L and locked up the motor at 150,000. Toyota threw a brand new motor in it.

Some did have their issues, but the Toyota R series motors from back then are legendary.

Sit-Coms
Quick, name your favorite Sit-Com.
OK, when was it last aired on TV? I can't think of a single current sit-com that anyone would consider to be a "classic", or even better than average. When I was growing up sit-coms were literally "must-see-TV" that you scheduled your week around.

Man, I know! "Free download in every box!" just isn't the same. Pretty soon the cereal will be digital too!
Even going back before then cereals used to offer a series of collectibles ( or at least cool toys). Quake and Quisp used to offer cowboys and Indians). Obviously that is out of the question in today’s world.

Even going back before then cereals used to offer a series of collectibles ( or at least cool toys). Quake and Quisp used to offer cowboys and Indians). Obviously that is out of the question in today’s world.

I remember some Cap'n Crunch PVC figuriens - him and the Soggies and Sogmaster. Those were cool!

I remember some Cap'n Crunch PVC figuriens - him and the Soggies and Sogmaster. Those were cool!
Good thing there was no sugar in that variety. In cast there wasn’t why not add crunch berries

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter