• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What !! There were Parks ?!?! (Food Report Part Two)

Fantasia Sam

I've been here so much longer!

Monday 12th May

Breakfast was to be at AK at Donald’s Restaurantosaurus. It was your typical Disney Breakfast Buffet but firstly the plates and mugs are plastic (I guess this has something to do with the animals) the buffet was OK it was different to have sausage patties but we felt that the main thing that let this meal down for us was the lack of refilling things. There was hardly any choice of donuts left when we went to get one. Not a lot of fruit and it all looked a bit sparse – almost like if you hadn’t got there first you didn’t get the best of the food. It’s a given that we won’t be eating here again we felt that there were better character breakfast buffets in the “World” for the same price.

Believe it or not we didn’t again that day until dinner, unusual for us. Dinner was at one of our favourite restaurants Liberty Tree Tavern. We think the family style meal here is good value and again we love the characters. We made a PS for as the park closes that way we get to have lots of interaction with the characters and we get to leave the park when no-one else is around. The meal starts with Declaration Salad of tossed mixed greens, served with the special strawberry vinaigrette dressing. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Paul and I think this is the best salad dressing in the whole “real” world. On the side are bread rolls served with honey butter……mmm divine. This is followed by the Patriot’s Platter of turkey, beef and smoked pork Loin Chops, mashed potatoes (very good), market veggies, Herb bread stuffing and Macaroni Cheese with turkey gravy on the side. I think they must have thought we looked hungry because they served us a very big platter we couldn’t even manage to split a dessert. Now this would have been a great meal on it’s own but the characters were in high spirits. I couldn’t help but mention to Dale that he sure was looking a cutie and he lapped up the compliments and paid me some back. Then he went off and got a pen and wrote on the back of my menu “love ya more than nuts”. A little while later he came back and asked me (I don’t remember how he did bearing in mind he can’t talk) if I was single I said I was, this was all in front of Paul then he got down on one knee and proposed – I told him I couldn’t accept as I thought there were laws against that sort of stuff in Florida. I told him that I would love him all the same. At this point Paul decided to pretend to get angry and so they had an armwrestle over me – Paul swears he let Dale win.
246Paul___Dale-med.JPG

Afterwards Dale and I tangoed together.
246Sam___Dale-med.JPG

It was a great evening and it ended up with all the characters getting together and posing for a CM so I managed to get a piccy of all of the characters together. A real hoot of a meal.

246LTT_Gang-med.JPG

Now the food didn’t end there that evening because by the time we got back to the Epcot Resorts we decided to stop in at Beaches and Cream for a sundae. Paul had a hot fudge sundae and I just had some chocolate ice cream with hot fudge sauce. We didn’t really need them but we couldn’t resist. I managed to get some coke on my white top and our server went and got me some seltzer and a clean white towel to help me get the stain out which worked a treat, so thanks again Darlene.

Tuesday 13th May

We just had a snack breakfast from the Ale and Compass Bar in the Yacht Club lobby.

Lunch was at Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom. I decided to be a bit different and thought I’d have a chicken wrap – I wish I’d had my usual burger. I was really disappointed with the wrap. I don’t think there was anything wrong it, but it didn’t have a lot of taste to me. Still my fries were great. The burgers here are really good as Paul very kindly confirmed for me. He had a Double Cheese and Bacon burger and then went and added onions from the fixings station. They have great fixings; lettuce, tomato, raw chopped onion, fried onions, fried mushrooms, pickles, and sauces.

As I hadn’t enjoyed my lunch so much later in the afternoon we headed to Adventureland for Dole Whips from the Aloha Isle counter - we both had pineapple floats which were lovely and refreshing on such a hot day. But you don’t have to have pineapple they do twists of pineapple and vanilla or you can have just vanilla.

Back to the Yacht & Beach club for dinner. We finally got to eat the Clam Bake Buffet at Cape May Café and we were not disappointed. Paul had done this buffet some time ago but I’d never dined there before. Tony was our server and he was very nice. We decided to go through the buffet course by course. We started off with Soup, I had the clam chowder with lots of chewy clams and Paul had the tomato soup. A plate of salad next there was such variety. Then we moved onto our seafood course we shared plates of mussels, steamed clams and very fresh shrimp in the raw. We were a little disappointed with the clams as they were so gritty but the mussels were huge and tasted very good, and you so can’t go wrong with shrimp. Then we moved onto the hot bar and had some succulent prime-rib, ribs, chicken, corn, mashed potatoes, snap peas and red skinned potatoes. Finally we managed to have some dessert but can’t remember what they were but they were scummy. At $23.99 per adult you can’t beat a 5-course meal like that ;)

Wednesday 14th May – Don’t know how we didn’t manage to roll all over the place after the amount we ate today

Breakfast and we found ourselves at the Yacht Galley restaurant. Now they do have a limited buffet style breakfast on offer here but we’d decided to go a la carte. I knew Paul wouldn’t be able to resist the Steak and Eggs (he’s obsessed with having this at least once when we’re on vacation) I stuck to Two Eggs Your Way (over easy for me) with a side of bacon – both dishes were served with breakfast potatoes. Paul said the steak was just right for breakfast just done well enough with no blood oozing out which he doesn’t feel appropriate for breakfast but the steak was still tender.

Now you’d think we wouldn’t be interested in lunch but we couldn’t help ourselves we found ourselves in Beaches and Cream yet again and this time split a burger and fries and I had a chocolate malt on the side. Burger was just as good as the other day and it made up for the chicken wrap thingy I’d had at Pecos Bills the day before.

And if that wasn’t enough we had booked a Fantasmic Dinner package at Hollywood Brown Derby for that night. Now I have eaten here a number of times and the last time I went I wasn’t so impressed with the service. Paul had never eaten here so we thought we’d give it a try. Now it nearly didn’t start off so well, our server Bev (originally from the UK) disappointed me a little as our appetizers came out before we’d even been served our drinks so I asked her to slow the meal down and she started to tell me in a very patronizing way that it was the American way, so I very politely (I promise) told her “I was well aware of what the American way was as I had visited MANY times before but would still like to savour the food I’m eating and to receive our appetizers before our drinks I thought was a little too rushed”. What I couldn’t believe was she almost started to argue with me and started talking about Fantasmic which was on at 9.00 and guests like to make sure they have a good seat so don’t like to linger, well folks it was 6.20 when she was telling us this and if she’d had her way we would have been out of there at 6.45 – didn’t seem a lot of point in that when we had reserved seating with the package. Having been a server myself when I was younger I would never even have entered into a debate with the customer but just said “sorry I’ll slow it down”, she finally, after she’d had her say, told us that she hadn’t put the entrees through the computer yet anyway so the meal would be slowed down……good grief why couldn’t she have just said that in the first place !! Rant over and back to the food, Paul had the Potatoe Crusted Lump Crab Cakes and they were sooooo good, lots and lots of fresh crab meat. I had the soup but LOL I can’t remember what soup it was it was creamy but that’s all I can remember. We both had the Grilled Filet Mignon which was very good and Paul said it was just as good as the one he’d eaten at Californian Grill. As dessert was included in the Package price of $36.99 each we went for it. I had the signature Grapefruit Cake which is so refreshing and moist and Paul had the White Chocolate Cheesecake served with Strawberry Soup, also very good.

Thursday 15th May

Breakfast at Crystal Palace in MK. Paul had never eaten here before for breakfast and compares everything to the Cape May Café and he thought that to date this ran a close second place to it. Normal breakfast buffet with the characters Tigger, piglet and Eeyore coming round to meet you with Pooh at the entrance. They have a great omelette station here where they make the omlettes in the shape of a Mickey head, cool. We had lots of interaction with the characters and it is a lovely venue to eat in.

We were supposed to go to Bomas for an early dinner but it was so hot that we could only be bothered to go across to Spoodles. Now we ate here last year and I saw that we were put with the same server from last year and when he came over to the table he looked at me in a really odd way and said that I looked really familiar to him, we told him that he was our server last year. He insisted on knowing our names so that he’d know for next time, sweet. They served really nice Sangria in Spoodles but I managed to just stick to the one ;). We started with appetizers but you don’t need them really, Spoodles serves up some really nice Mediterranean breads with hummus. Paul had the Sesame Caesar Salad and I had the Roasted Peppers with Mozzarella Cheese and Basil. Paul’s was better than mine – I felt that they served too many peppers and the dish got a bit boring after a few mouthfuls. Still the entrees were very good. Paul had a featured special with was a Veal Chop served on Goats Cheese Mashed Potatoes and roasted Mediterranean Vegetables, it must have been good as he kept mentioning it for the rest of our stay and since we’ve been back home. A young girl on one of the buses had recommended the Medallions of Filet Mignon to me so I couldn’t resist. Well I couldn’t believe the size of them, at home it would have been like ordering 2 filet steaks. The steaks were cooked to perfection and tasted so meaty and juicy but velvety at the same time, divine. No dessert for us ;)

Part Three here

More great reviews :)

Restaurantasaurus - hmmm, this seems to be a bit of a love hate place by all accounts...as a result I can never make up my mind whether to try here or not! All seems like hard work to get up so early anyhow ;) Which brings me to my next question...what time did you eat here? Was it late? Do you think that might be why the food was scarce?

LTT - shame on me, I've never done dinner despite hearing constantly good comments, I've even eaten here twice for lunch so I know the food is good! Sounds like you had a blast though eating there late and having fun with the characters :) Some people knock Chip n Dale, because they are so commonly found in the parks and at meals, but personally I love 'em because they are so mischievous ;)

Oh, I agree, Peco Bills has just the <i>best</i> fixin station - love those burgers :)

Dole Whips - I like the mixed twist you can get, but alas, I don't have them often enough. There is just an awesome Strawberry Shortcake (they also do hot fudge) sundaes at Mrs Potts Kitchen in Fantasyland and generally speaking, we head there if we fancy an ice-cream in MK. Too many nice things...not enough time!

Oh cool, you did the Cape May Dinner. As I said before, I thought that buffet was fantastic - the selections are just so varied and the dessert bar isn't bad either ;)

I was interested in what you said about the Yacht Galley - it's not a place I hear mentioned often, but when it is - it's always glowing praise. I <b>must</b> try this next trip, even if it's just for a nibble!

Brown Derby - that waitress...how rude! Glad the food was good though, that's what counts. I dunno, it's never really appealed to me that much though obviously one day I'd like to get round to eating there - maybe lunch instead though.

Crystal Palace - well, back in the days I ate dinner at the CP before MNSSHP - it was ok, but I didn't leave particularly impressed to be honest. Breakfast sounds good though...perhaps I'll give it a 2nd chance sometime!

Ah, now I'm probably going to go against the grain here with most people, but Spoodles for dinner I think was over-rated. I mean, it was ok, but it just didn't push my buttons, ya know? (Though breakfast I think it's nice there) - it does earn kudos for being the only place I've eaten where I've found a hidden Mickey in my food though :)

Right....on to the next!!!

Thanks for more great reviews. It's a shame your meal at Hollywood Brown Derby got off to such a shaky start.

I love your experience at the Liberty Tree Tavern :) ! It really is what character meals are all about!

The Brown Derby is not for me - they make a habit of rushing people through their meals... and not very subtly either.

You ate the dinner at LTT and then still had room for Beaches and Cream. I am deeply impressed! LOL Carolyn

Originally posted by Disneymad
More great reviews :)

Restaurantasaurus - ...what time did you eat here? Was it late? Do you think that might be why the food was scarce?

There is just an awesome Strawberry Shortcake (they also do hot fudge) sundaes at Mrs Potts Kitchen in Fantasyland and generally speaking, we head there if we fancy an ice-cream in MK. Too many nice things...not enough time!

Ah, now I'm probably going to go against the grain here with most people, but Spoodles for dinner I think was over-rated. I mean, it was ok, but it just didn't push my buttons, ya know? (Though breakfast I think it's nice there) - it does earn kudos for being the only place I've eaten where I've found a hidden Mickey in my food though :)

At Donald's we were in there at just gone 9.30 so it wasn't late - just a bad morning i guess

I love the coke floats at Mrs Potts - scrummy :)

Spoodles hmmm You know I would have agreed with you after our meal there last year - neither Paul nor I were bowled over. But it had been such a hot day and we were supposed to go to Bomas for 5.30 and the last thing I wanted to be doing was going out for dinner at 4.30 in order to get there for that time. So we thought hang it lets just get the boat to Spoodles and see what they have and this girl on the bus had raved about the filet mignon medallions. We were so shocked that the meal was sooo good - we weren't counting on that LOL!

I'm reading these all at once, so tummy ache is setting in (I only had roast beef, roast tattie, broccoli, carrots, gravy, rhubarb crumble and custared for dinner!!)

The Dole whip day, followed by Clam Bake Buffet, perfect!!! I've eyed up Hollywood Brown Derby several times, but itlooks a bit stuffy. doesn't sound my cup of tea....storing away all the tips.

Sam

Loved the pictures of Liberty Tree Tavern.......

Everything sounds wonderful....pity about Hollywood Brown Derby.
Never been to Liberty Tree Tavern.........the food sounds great, and I just love Chip n Dale. Wonder if I should try and squeeze another character meal in - we have 3 PS's already, Chef Mickets, Crystal Palace and Restaurantausaurus..........

Think I will.....

Cath :)

:D Ah Sam, I'm feeling for Paul - you and Dale looked SO good together;)

You are having such a good time . . . . heaven only knows what else you could fit in while you were testig all these restaurants for us all:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter