What takes Disney so long to build attractions?

DJ Disney Kid

Walt Disney World Vet
Six Flags gets their attractions up in a few months and even the whole Disneyland park was built in less than a year, and that was even with them building the first theme park and having nothing to compare too. So why does it now take Disney 2 to 3 years to complete attractions like Toy Story Mania or Everest?

because disney isn't slapping together pieces of metal. they're innovating.

Disney puts more into the rides, then just a ride. EE for example, not just a roller coaster.

Well they put up Disneyland in less than a year and I wouldn't say that they just "slapped it together". So how is it that they were able to build a whole theme park in less than a year but not the current attractions?

Well I think the folks above have a point in that Disney puts a lot more into their rides than a metal track and a line queue. As far as why Disneyland was built so fast, I would tend to think that had a lot to do with a sense of urgency inspired by Walt. You miss opening day on an entire park, its a lot worse than opening day for a single attraction within an existing park. In addition, I'm sure there was quite a bit less government red tape 55 years ago than there is today....

um, because this is not 1955... and the latest crop of rides are not a carousel, Dumbo going in circles, and a variety of ride that were already tested and installed at a world's fair?

The complex attractions from the opening of Disneyland were all things from the worlds fair were they not?

These days the complex attractions they are slapping together are pushing the boundaries of technology, not sure the last time I noticed Six Flags pushing the envelope on anything, heck they wait for smaller more innovative parks to work out the details of thrill rides and copy those.

Well they put up Disneyland in less than a year and I wouldn't say that they just "slapped it together". So how is it that they were able to build a whole theme park in less than a year but not the current attractions?

In part because large sections of Disneyland weren't built or finished until YEARS later. Don't forget that opening day went very badly.. Washrooms weren't finished etc.

What was ACTUALLY open on the first day was pretty minimal... compared to what opened in the early 60's and then again in the mid to late 60's.

And.. they didn't have to watch those pesky labor laws so closely in the 50's when they built DL.

Last I checked, nobody's built a full themed park on the Disney level of quality.. in 12 months since then.. So that tells ya something too.

Moved this one over to Theme Parks Community Board.

:)

Knox

Disney does not do "just" a ride/show/rollercoaster. Much thought and attention is put into every detail. I live only 10 miles from a "Great America". As soon as I walk in, I'm disappointed because I compare it to WDW and it never even comes close to measuring up.
So I have to remind myself: it is just what it is and IT"S NOT DISNEY:sad1:

And.. they didn't have to watch those pesky labor laws so closely in the 50's when they built DL.

Knox

:rotfl: ;) That's for sure. Now with the way rollercoaster technology has advanced, I'm surprised EE got done in a year or so. We've come along way from the cyclone ride at Coney Island I had when I was a kid.

Also remember, Disneyland was built in a year but it took years of planning.

Rides like Toy Story Mania are announced usually very early in the planning stages when all the research and development are still going on. If I remember, the actual construction of Toy Story Mania only began around October so I'd say the 8 months of planned constuction is pretty good.

details, details, details
disney just does not build a ride, they build a story then the world as to which that story takes place. EE is a great example just walk through the queue and look at everything.
At six flags they build regualr steel/wooden rollercoasters with no story or character...disney builds moutains.
disney's rides are worth the wait.

Maybe Im mistaken, but didn't they build the monorail, matterhorn and 20k sub ride all in the same year at Disneyland also? And I'd definitely consider those pretty elaborate attractions!

Matterhorn opened in 1959 ... as did 20k sub ride ... and yes the monorail.. All part of a big plan to expand Disneyland and add more attractions.

But the year was not the same year they built the park... and those attractions were almost four years in development.

The Haunted Mansion was announced for a 1963 opening and the exterior was completed that same year.. but the completed attraction didn't open till 1969.. a six year delay.. (in part because of Disney's involvement in the World's Fair). Pirates didn't open til 1967... after years on the drawing board as a walk thru wax museum.. it changed to an animatronic boat ride.... and lots of animatronics were added to Haunted Mansion.. in part because of Disney's experiences with animatronics for the World's Fair attractions...

So clearly sometimes the waiting - is definitely worth it.

Knox

Not phishing at all. I think its a legitimate question on how a whole theme park ( or atleast the majority of it ) could be constructed in less than a year, but then an attraction like TSM takes almost the same amount of time. I just think its odd, that is all. If anyone takes this as a negative attack on Disney or if it is upsetting someone, then lock the thread.

i think regardless of post count... someone is phishing

Not sure if thats the case. :confused3 :dance3:

any who... The amount of detail that goes in to EVERY attraction is crazy. Look at EE: the amount of time and $$ to make the yeti, for what.. you see it for about a second if that.

So thats my $.02

pirate:

Not phishing at all. I think its a legitimate question on how a whole theme park ( or atleast the majority of it ) could be constructed in less than a year, but then an attraction like TSM takes almost the same amount of time. I just think its odd, that is all. If anyone takes this as a negative attack on Disney or if it is upsetting someone, then lock the thread.

I think this is a great thread... why... because it makes you think of what really goes on to make such wonderful attractions. This is one reason i like WDW, the complexity of what goes in to making WDW.

I love the techy threads and the did you know threads.

disney's rides are worth the wait.

While I certainly agree with most of your answer, although to wait on a Disney ride- is there some other choice? Even with FP, I find waits to be substantial. As far as the OP question, everyone is right on- Disney invents and innovates. Goes to show why so many of us are disappointed in our local Six Flags/ amusement parks after a visit to Disney. There is everything from lavish grounds and well maintained attractions, to stories, to the CM's. You don't get that with Six Flags. SF is good for one thing- being close by and mild to wild thrill rides. OK so that was two things....can't count today- it's the weekend. :confused3

Obviously Disney takes a long time because like Everest the send teams of people to study that area and the Mt to get an exact replica of it. I am sure down the artifacts that are on display when you walk through to get there are exact replicas of items the saw or bought.

I also think, they like to open new attractions each year so they can get repeat business. Obviously if they opened up Stitch, Toy Story, Everest, Nemo, Pirates (remodeled) all in one year and then it took them 2 to 5 years to open 5 more new attractions the repeat business would probably go down. People would wait and hit them all when the new attractions opened.

I have to agree about the post regarding Six Flags, we have one about 15 mins from us and of course we have seasons passes, but they can't hold a candle to Disney. From the atmosphere, employees, food, shows, rides, cleaniness. Six Flags will never be up to Disney's standards. Yes, it may take them 6 mos to put up a ride, but it is exactly that a ride, a steel coaster on a slab of concrete.

That is just my opinion on this subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter