What stores are good for finding older/vintage candies?

Foxhound3857

Mischief Managed
I'm still expanding on my emergency provisions, and I'm mostly focused on non-perishables that require no preparation, just open and eat. Some of what I've got stashed away includes raisins, bulk pop tarts, granola bars, individual hersheys chocolate, crackers, potted meat (closest thing I could find to pate), canned salmon and oysters, etc, but candy is what I'm having a hard time finding. Only after watching Steve1989mre videos did I realize what a versatile survival food hard candy can be, specifically Charms, which used to be a staple in survival rations in the 40s and 50s.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find Charms anywhere, nor the next best thing which would be Lifesavers. I can find them in large non-reseal packs, but I'm trying to find them in the small individual rolls, the ones wrapped in foil that come 10 to a pack and fit in your pockets. None of my stores seem to carry either of these.

Any recommendations that don't involve shopping online?

I don't see too many of the Lifesavers at checkout stands, but maybe dollar stores have them. Another option would be a place that does resale, such as Costco Business Centers or a foodservice wholesaler.

My kid has a lot of the mini Charms. The place I remember was at a party store, although I'm not sure if any would be open right about now.

There is a website called oldtimecandy.com that carries Life Saver rolls in single rolls or boxes of 20 rolls. They have a lot of nostalgic candy, but I don’t see Charms there.
If stores were open I would say check Cracker Barrel, but I don’t think you will have luck with in person shopping for such a specialty item.

Last edited:
I would give my right arm for Tangy Taffy - NOT laffy taffy. I want TANGY TAFFY. I miss it soooooo much. Also - Jolly Rancher STIX in flavors like orange and lemonade.

So far as Charms goes, I used to find tins of Charms Balls, but haven't seen them in years.

Oh - Amazon has Charms sour balls...maybe I'll order some!

I was just thinking about Lifesavers and how I don’t see them around like I used to. I was specifically wondering what I would think of the Butter Rum flavor today. I don’t know how many decades it has been since I have had one, and really can’t recall for sure, but think I liked them.

Vermont Country Store used to have some old time candies, but not at old time prices.

Do places like CVS and Walgreens carry those kinds of things?

Last edited:
CVS has bags of individually wrapped life savers in the bagged candy section. I saw butter rum there just the other day. They still sell the rolls at convenience store like 7-11. But I agree, Lifesavers have been replaced in many places by Tic Tacs, Altoids and other packaged mints and gum.

I was just thinking about Lifesavers and how I don’t see them around like I used to. I was specifically wondering what I would think of the Butter Rum flavor today. I don’t know how many decades it has been since I have had one, and really can’t recall for sure, but think I liked them.

Vermont Country Store used to have some old time candies, but not at old time prices.

Do places like CVS and Walgreens carry those kinds of things?

I remember once I bought a special Christmas package of Lifesavers 5 Flavor rolls in a box that looked like Christmas book. It had maybe 6 of the standard rolls. That was after Christmas though, and I got it for 75% off. Other than that, the individually sold rolls are kind of hard to find these days. They've gone mostly to the individually wrapped ones in bags, where the individual candies are larger.

It's easy enough to order online with free shipping, but the OP specifically said other than that.

I'll just note that a pretty good hard candy is Claeys. They come in bags, but they're pretty good. I found them at one single Walmart once, but had a hard time finding them anywhere else. Eventually I found (of all things) a local hardware store that had them.

I think there's a party store near the blood bank where I volunteer. I donated platelets today so I wish I had stopped there now to check, but it might not have even been open, so no use crying about it. I'll be going back on thursday, so if they're open then and have what I'm looking for, I'll find out.

In the mean time, I got a 66 pack of Welch's fruit gummies to add to my rations, with a bit of vitamin C in them. I can have one or two of those with lunch or dinner if I'm put on full lockdown.

Places I have seen individual rolls of Lifesavers: Rite Aid, Big Lots, Michael’s craft store, and the airport gift shop (I don’t suggest going there now).

Haven’t seen Charms in years, except the cans of sour balls in the supermarket, not the square ones.

There are many sources online for multipacks of both the Charms and
five flavor Lifesavers you are looking for.

Last edited:
I was a bit confused because I’ve never seen Charms Squares. I equated the name with Blow Pops and their little mini lollipops (similar to Dum Dums.

I know at the holidays Target has been carrying tins of Lifesaver Rolls. The tin is a large metal cannister designed to look like a roll of Lifesavers.

We also buy old time candy at a store in Frankenmuth, MI called Rau's Country Store. They're currently closed with no online presence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter