What specialty of Doctor can remove a Lipoma

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what Doctor can remove a 5 inch long lipoma. Would it be a Dermatologist or Surgeon? Is this an outpatient in office procedure?

My dh had one and thankfully it went away on its own but his regular gp was going to send him to a general surgeon.

I dont know about the outpatient versus office thing. My dh was pretty close to the top of the skin.

Best of luck.

My mom had one the size of a chicken egg on her back. She saw a surgeon and it was done as an office procedure.

Depends on where it is, how deep it is, and if there are any major vessels or nerves, etc involved. A general surgeon or plastic surgeon, depending.

If it were me, I'd want a plastic surgeon to do the procedure, but see a dermatologist before and after the procedure.

I have been told surgeon I don't think dermatologists go that big. My husband had 3 removed by general surgeon in office. They left very indented areas on his back for a while but now there is no indent just scars.

If the lipoma is somewhere that you are concerned about the look of a potential scar, like the face, I would go to a plastic surgeon.

Depends on location. I had a wonderful plastic surgeon do mine. In patient procedure. Out Patient was not an option due to size & location.

I was wondering what Doctor can remove a 5 inch long lipoma. Would it be a Dermatologist or Surgeon? Is this an outpatient in office procedure?

I am sure it is an outpatient procedure. As far as "who" should remove it that depends.

Better looking surgery would be a plastic surgeon (might be covered under insurance). A general surgeon can certainly remove it. There are special dermatologists that would remove it as well. Example, my mom was referred by the derm. to get her melanoma surgery at that place.

I would see a derm. and go from there. I see my derm yearly and get something cut off or out every yr.:ssst:

I have been told surgeon I don't think dermatologists go that big. My husband had 3 removed by general surgeon in office. They left very indented areas on his back for a while but now there is no indent just scars.
If you don't mind telling me - how big a scar? Do they have to make an incision the length of the entire thing? My DH has one about the size of a deck of cards on the back of his neck, which is most often partially hidden by his shirt collar. It's hideous and I really want him to get it seen to but he's holding out hope it will resolve itself without leaving a permanent mark.

I've had several removed over my lifetime, all by a general surgeon. OP, just be sure that you get it taken care of before it becomes inflamed--that involves a much larger incision as well as having to drain the infection afterwards. Good luck!

Its right above my collar bone on the left hand side. Its long rather than round.. feels like a fat slug :) :)

Many dermatologists can, and do, perform surgery in their offices. I had Mohs surgery for skin cancer in a dermatologist's office, and that is a fairly complex and specialized procedure.

Go to YouTube and search " Sandra Lee" and "lipoma." Dr. Lee is a California dermatologist who performs some surgeries in her office. She films many of the procedures for her YouTube channel.

hmmm the longest one is maybe 3 inches? it had been about the size of a golfball :(

I had one removed from my upper back many years ago. It was the size of half a tennis ball. It was done as an outpatient at the hospital under local anesthesia. He was a varicose doctor/surgeon.

Glad you started this thread. I have a long tubular lipoma on my back; looks like a third shoulder blade. Doctor said because they are encapsulated it would be a long incision to remove, I haven't done anything about it yet.

Its right above my collar bone on the left hand side. Its long rather than round.. feels like a fat slug :) :)
I had a 9-inch one removed from the exact same spot in May. It was done outpatient by a surgeon. He did send me for an MRI first to make sure no nerves were wrapped up in it (there weren't). The only pain I had was a pulled muscle where they literally had to pull a muscle out of the way to get to the lipoma. As the mass was where it was, they went in right where my neck meets my shoulder. The scar is barely noticeable, especially if I am wearing a collared shirt.

Look up Castor Oil pack. I have one I want to try it on. It is supposed to dissolve them.

Sorry for bumping, but I also need to remove a lipoma. Any updates are appreciated.
Having surfed the Internet, I read about doctor Rokhsar who does the CO2 laser treatment. This doctor is a board-certified dermatologist and laser surgeon with big experience. I'm thinking about addressing him. But of course, it would be great to learn from the experience of others.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter