• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What quick and easy meals do you prepare

murcor

All you need is faith and trust...and a little pix
when on vacation. Generally we eat out for lunch each day, leaving some much needed meal ideas. We will be using wegoshop.com so we can stock up on supplies.

We will be at SSR for 12 days....3 adults and 2 children.

(This year when we went we just had basic meals like hotdogs, kraft dinner, sandwiches, frozen pizza)

Just wondering what good ideas I am missing?

Thanks

Angela

Tacos - very easy to prepare and a pretty light meal on hot days. I don't eat taco shells, so I just have all the filling with extra salad stuff.

Turkey burgers - I make them with an egg white, an onion soup mix packet and some ketchup to 1.2 to 2 lbs. They are moist and a good break from the beef burgers.

We take a Stouffers frozen lasagna and let it cook while we go to the pool! It's big enough for leftovers the next night as well. Usually we have a bag salad with it.
Breakfasts are usually bagels, eggs, bacon, toaster waffles - stuff like that.

For us, Bisquick is a must for breakfast... Pancakes, waffles, biscuits, danishes... All of which don't take much time and don't involve too many other ingrediants.

Spagetti is another staple for dinner...

Brownie mixes, premade cookie dough, etc., are also in the fridge...

I usually have a hard time eating at WDW for a host of reasons. This past visit we bought some baby spinich, croutons, dressing, cooked chicken strips, feta cheese and some nice crusty bread. I think I ate that for 4 meals and loved every bite. For me, much better than most meals I could order out, and much less expensive. We also get some Baglel Bites, eggs for breakfast.

We bring a crockpot and cook several meals overnight or while we are at the park....beans and rice (we are from the south...redbeans, lima or blackeyed peas), chicken and dumplings (again...southern), or roast and vege's. The possibilities are endless.

Wow, you all cook real meals! Crock pots and waffles, I'm impressed. We don't get quite as serious. I will generally (depending on what time we are planning to go to the parks) will make breakfasts, bacon, eggs, and toast. And then usually have some sandwich fixin's for pool days. And other than that, mac and cheese for the kids for some mid afternoon snacks. Unless someone isn't feeling good, all our evening meals are eaten out.

We usually do a quick pasta dish like Puttanesca or ravioli, bagged salad and bread, or we do tacos or quesadillas with rice on the side, there are usually grills at DVC resorts so we sometimes pick up a steak or burgers and have a cookout by the pool.

Macnjac87 said:
Snip....there are usually grills at DVC resorts so we sometimes pick up a steak or burgers and have a cookout by the pool.

Tell me, how difficult is it for someone like me who is gas-dependent to light a charcoal grill?? Do you ever have the luck that someone just finished cooking and the coals are hot?? The idea so appeals to me, but the thought of the charcoal and lighter fluid and time waiting for the thing to get hot just makes me want to run to the restaurant! :crazy:

Muushka said:
Tell me, how difficult is it for someone like me who is gas-dependent to light a charcoal grill?? Do you ever have the luck that someone just finished cooking and the coals are hot?? The idea so appeals to me, but the thought of the charcoal and lighter fluid and time waiting for the thing to get hot just makes me want to run to the restaurant! :crazy:

According to DH you should be fine. You wait to cook until the coals are ashed over.

Nachos, Fettichini Carbonara, spagetti, sundaes, hot dogs in a blanket, reheated chinese take out, stock of subway subs, chips and dips. Lots of snack items.

Thanks for the ideas.

If you think of any new ones to add to the list, let me know.

Angela

we do bagged salads, pasta, tuna cassarole, tuna melts. Make a turkey breast in the reynolds bags and then we have turkey sandwiches etc for several days.. I also bring a crock pot and make a roast or sloppy joe and pot pies with the left over turkey..

Campbell's Chicken noodle soup for the kids, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, cereal, fruit, cheese and crackers, pop tarts, to name a few.

Moo-

Just buy the small bag of Matchlight Charcoal-the general the resort should have some) light it and its ready in about 10 minutes- easy as pie!

Macnjac87 said:
Moo-

Just buy the small bag of Matchlight Charcoal-the general the resort should have some) light it and its ready in about 10 minutes- easy as pie!

10 Minutes! :cool1: . I didn't even know that type of technology existed!
It has probably been 30 years since I lit a charcoal fire.

Maybe we will try it next trip. Thanks! :wave2:

I sometimes buy the Tyson Chicken Fajita meal kit (comes in a bag in the frozen food section). It has everything you need and is fast and a quick clean up. I usually buy some pre-shredded cheese to add to what comes in the kit. Also, grilled cheese is big for our kids, and Easy Mac too. Hey, we're a "cheese-lovin'" family, after all....we are at the House of Mouse!

I'm planning on a trip to the Costco on Orange Blossom Trail on the way in from the airport. I'll pick up a couple of cooked chickens and a big beef brisket - then a bag of potatoes, a bag of salad (+ tomatoes, etc), salad dressing, mayonaise, bread and frozen green vegetables from somewhere.

I'm going to take the recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook for BBQ beef brisket with me. It just involves cutting up an onion and then covering the brisket with an easy worchestshire-ketchup-vinegar sauce that takes about 2 minutes to prepare. I can put the meat in the oven one morning and then let it bake for as many hours as we want to go play. Somewhere along the way, I'll con someone into making a salad.

Then we'll have help-yourself meals of chicken or beef, microwaved baked potatoes, green vegetables and salads, plus plenty of stuff for sandwiches for the week for a big family. I actually hate to cook, but this will make it look like I don't. We're not planning on eating in much, but when we do we'll have food around that will probably sound better than standing in line for counter food.

::MinnieMo

We did Spaghetti dinner - brought frozen homemade sauce and cooked the noodles in pot. French bread with garlic butter in oven to warm. Added a salad with onions and tomatoes. YUM!
Then we did a chicken dinner. Skinless, boneless breasts in the casserole dish with Campbell's chicken flavor soup and milk mixed and poured on top. Cook for 45 min at 350. Cooked Rice a Roni (family size) and fresh cooked carrots and corn. YUM!

I love the tacos idea and the turkey breast! Good to remember when we have 12 at Christmas time. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter