What makes a painting worth $90 millon?

moon

DIS Veteran
Hockney.jpg

This David Hockney Painting was sold for a Record-Breaking $90.3 Million at Christie's.

My question is, how is a painting, especially one by a living artist worth so much?

In my admittedly uneducated opinion, it is a nice painting, but there are dozens, or hundreds just as nice or even better.

What makes this piece so special?

http://www.artnews.com/2018/11/15/d...isties-new-record-work-living-artist-auction/

Last edited:
True. People who buy paintings and spend above $50,000 are not buying something that is nice or even better. It's an envestment, not aesthetic.

Hockney is very popular. Hold it for 18 months and sell it for another record breaking number. Even $100 million would be good.

Or maybe the buyer actually thinks there isn't something nicer or better.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/11/david-hockney-christies-auction/575530/

The Hockney painting is an unquestionable and probably timeless masterpiece (perhaps unlike the previous record holder). One can make an argument that it is one of the two or three most crucial canvases of the ever-youthful, now-81-year-old British master’s career. As the people at Christie’s (the ones who put forth the $80 million figure) are delighted to point out, the work marks the only time Hockney combined two of his most popular subjects: a swimming pool and a double portrait.

No, I don't know why that makes Portrait of an Artist worth $90 million.

I don't know what's art, but I know what I like. I do like that painting, but not $90 million worth.

Hey. If a Campell's soup can or paint flung at a canvas a-la-5 year old, is a timeless classic, why not a guy in the pool?

The prices for art seem so arbitrary, I have no idea how anyone determines the real 'value'. Can be quite iffy as an investment if enough people start to think art, in general, is overvalued.

I remember an episode of Knots Landing (looong time ago, I know), one of the characters who was wealthy was diagnosed with a terminal illness and had months to live. She and her husband had been planning on investing on a painting that was worth thousands. After leaving the Doctor's office she was walking in a daze, and went to the art gallery. Next to the painting she was going to originally buy there was another worth $400 (IIRC)

She decided to buy the $400 painting but paying the amount she was going to pay for the other one.

Must be sweet to be a struggling artist and get a fairy godmother (or father) to propel your career like that!

Dh bought me a print that I've had my eye on for 2 years. He had it framed and matted. This was my first 'real' art. Total was abt $450 for the print and framing. I am still choking that one down.

Can't imagine paying some of the prices some pay for art.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter