• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what kind of digital camera?

momshark

<font color=purple>My family has been giving me th
If this is on the wrong forum please move me.

I have a digital camera that I brought last time. It is a Kodak EasyShare CX 4200. Anyway, when I was trying to take pictures there is this 1/2 second wait from when you push the button to when the picture is taken. It was really hard to get a quick picture.
This time we go I would really love to be able to take unposed pictures of the kids and pictures of the nighttime things like fireworks and the lights in the parks. Oh, and zoom in and get really clear detailed pics.
Any suggestions on what kind of camera to use? What has worked well for you? A friend already suggested that I get one with "optical zoom" as opposed to "digital zoom" as the picture is much clearer.
Thanks for all your help! and may your day be Disney filled! :earsboy:

I would recommend any of the Sony digital cameras. I got a sony cyber shot point and shoot. I love it. It take great pictures quickly and also does video. It is 5mega pixils. I know it is expensive but the price has come down since the holiday.

SY_BrowseCatalog-Start

hopefully that worked.
Cannon's are really nice too.

Hope this helps!

We used to have a Nikon where we had the same issue as with your Kodak. We recently bought a Canon and we're really happy with it. Consumer Reports online is a good place to get more details and ratings.

This delay is a common problem with almost all digital cameras. Although delays are getting better and are almost eliminated on high end professional models, just about all entry level cameras will still have a delay from 3/4 second to over 1 second.

For a great website that reviews digital cameras and has a good buying guide, go to...

www.dpreview.com

As for features, look for a bigger optical zoom versus digital zoom (this just blows the picture up), size and weight you are comfortable with, 4MP or more (most consumers will never need 6, 7, or 8 MP), ability to take short videos, and consider image stabilization.

I believe your current Kodak used SD memory so that might also be a factor if you want to stay with the format.

My Olympus digital has extremely slow auto focus. If you want to literally point and shoot, it takes a couple seconds bwteeen the time when you push the button and the shot is actually taken.

To help reduce this, I use the "half-press" auto focus function. If you press the button half-way, the camera will auto focus. Then, when you push it the rest of the way down, the shot is taken pretty much immediately.

You need to think ahead, but it works out well for me.

Writing the data to the memory card is another issue. That technology is getting much better.

Ted

I love my Sony Cybershot DX100. It's autofocus, sooooo easy to use and very small so it fits on your belt for easy access. :wave2:

We have a Fuji S7000 that we really like. It's more like an SLR as opposed to a "point and shoot" camera.

Another good site to compare cameras is www.steves-digicams.com

Gary

We've got the Kodak EasyShare DX7590. I also wanted no delay so I could capture all those special moments. So far, I have noticed none with this camera. I have been able to capture every moment. The other things I really, really like about it -- larger than normal LCD screen, 10x optical zoom (most dig. cameras only have 3x optical), 5.0mp picture quality, super-long battery life, and it comes with a dock making recharging the battery and downloading photos a snap. I can't tell you how much I love this camera. :love: We paid $409 for it online, it usually retails in stores for about $500. Good luck!

Angela

Ted and Holly said:
To help reduce this, I use the "half-press" auto focus function. If you press the button half-way, the camera will auto focus. Then, when you push it the rest of the way down, the shot is taken pretty much immediately.

Ditto for me. I use this same feature with my Kodak (see above post) and it makes the shutter almost instantaneous.

Angela

Wow!! Thanks you guys!! I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I am going to check out a few of those web sites too. I know I'll be able to find the camera of my dreams! :wave2:

two weeks worth of looking for a new digital camera. I really wanted a Nikon D-70 but when I actually held it in my hands I realized it was much more than I actually needed in a digital camera...

I then thought I wanted the Kodak DX7590 as it seemed like an awesome camera (and has a $50 rebate until mid Feb)... BUT then I found the Panosonic Lumix FZ20 and read the reviews.

It was picked hands down over the Kodak for lots of reasons, has a bigger optical zoom, has a better lens, and a few other reasons. It's about $150 more than the Kodak but both would be really good choices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter