What It Would Take To Be Captian?

JLMEBW

Mouseketeer
I have always wondered what you would need to do to be captain and it would be also very fun to do as your job in my opinion. What do you think you would have to do to be the Captian of the Magic or Wonder??? :banana:

I would think that it would take roughly a lifetime in the maritime industry to acquire enough experience to become a licensed master mariner. That is the license that is required. I remember the bio for our Captain on the RCI Empress of the Seas that he began as a young man working in the engine room, working his way through the ranks.

GenieDana said:

Good Info with one clarrification - this data applies to a Master/Captain of a US flag vessel.

DCL being flagged in the Bahamas has slightly different rules, most importantly, typically the Master must be licensed in the Flag State. (I'd imagine there are reciprocal arrangements i many cases but that's just a guess. I do know 4 sure that a US flag requires a US master....)

In general the Master of a cruise ship has more than 20 years experience at sea, always will hold an unlimited tonnage, any ocean license and while holding this lic, has usually worked as the staff captain, and various Mate positions while working his way up the ladder.

No short cuts to this one .... alto my som thought from our first trip that it would be a great job for Dad...:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter