What is your line in the sand?

Cost probably? Although we have our DVC membership already so that's not as big of a factor. Sell the park to Universal? Have one of the characters punch my kid in the face? I'm not really sure

Close World Showcase- that would probably do it

For me, it's when it's not a good value anymore. It doesn't bother me when they raise prices, as long as I still feel like it's a good value for our vacation money. We don't go to Disney World every year, though. For one thing, we can just go to Disneyland any time we want for the day. And for another thing, we like to vary where we go so the kids have a wide range of experiences.

Attendance was up again last year at Disney World, so any changes they have made haven't had a negative effect on the number of visitors.

#1: Crowds. We have gone so far three times in early January and found the lines mostly short and the crowds manageable. If there are no longer "off season" times when lines are 10-15 minutes for most things, I would not go anymore. Also, if they a) eliminate or reduce FastPasses (any more), or b) cut back on staffing so restaurants, etc. have long waits, that would also make a Disney vacation much less attractive for me.

#2: New Attractions. I'm pretty excited about new Avatar stuff, and (hopefully??) Star Wars... If they don't invest much in building new things/updating the parks, I'll lose interest in going. I do love the oldies-but-goodies, but that alone is not enough to draw me to WDW.

#1: Crowds. We have gone so far three times in early January and found the lines mostly short and the crowds manageable. If there are no longer "off season" times when lines are 10-15 minutes for most things, I would not go anymore. Also, if they a) eliminate or reduce FastPasses (any more), or b) cut back on staffing so restaurants, etc. have long waits, that would also make a Disney vacation much less attractive for me.

#2: New Attractions. I'm pretty excited about new Avatar stuff, and (hopefully??) Star Wars... If they don't invest much in building new things/updating the parks, I'll lose interest in going. I do love the oldies-but-goodies, but that alone is not enough to draw me to WDW.

I would have to agree here. We are really hoping for some great things at Hollywood Studios. I think I have only gone 3 or 4 times (ever). We usually skip it or park hop over for a a couple hours. My husband used to work at Hollywood studios and he always wants to skip it as well. I could not fathom paying for a full day admission at Hollywood Studios (especially now) The value equation is not there. I think new attractions would make it a must see again. If after all these changes they only add a couple minor things, I could see some backlash against that park.

I have hit my limit as it pertains to AP, as I did not renew due to price vs. value. It simply went out of the range I was comfortable to pay (not a FL resident).

Cost is a big one, as are crowds. More on people's attitudes below.

Another reason is - well, I've been going since Disney World opened. Just about every year. Quite frankly I've done it all and seen it all. Multiple times. It's still a wonderful place, but I really want to do something new. So I am going to wait until there are enough new things at WDW to return.

That's why I am going to Universal in 2015. Haven't done everything there yet.

Another thing - crowds and people. Others have touched on this.

I find it humorous in a way. I am a computer programmer and Sheldon-like in my attitudes to others... I simply like being alone. I find being social taxing and a pain, but the thing about that is - I do it. And perhaps I go slightly over the line in being TOO polite to other people, if there was such a thing.

The ironic thing about technology today is we are ALWAYS connected. It has turned the "normal" person into what would have been considered (back in the day) as a rude, selfish person - always checking their phone, head down, avoiding human contact. The very strides we've made in instant communications have turned us all, in various degrees, into mini-nerds. It's the new normal. It's kind of sad and very funny, at least to me. But I've always enjoyed dark humor.

I guess we already crossed that line in the sand because we are local and switched from Disney AP's to Universal (although we still do water park AP's). I still love Disney and we really enjoyed the Halloween party this year, so we aren't completely out. And I keep reading these boards because I like to keep up with what Disney is doing and I keep thinking that we will switch back. But every year we do a couple of staycations and have been absolutely loved doing those at Universal. We love the pace at which Universal has been adding attractions, the staff at Universal are consistently wonderful to DS6 with autism, and we love our after 4p express passes that come with our premium AP's.

As others have mentioned, my line in the sand is if the elimination of the standby lines/reservation only thing becomes the norm. I don't know why it bothers me so much because the truth is we are not getting in a line for Toy Story that's 60 minutes long (my son just can't handle it). But there is something about the idea of Disney telling me that I can't wait in the line even if I wanted to (taking away that choice) that really turns me off.

I guess we already crossed that line in the sand because we are local and switched from Disney AP's to Universal (although we still do water park AP's). I still love Disney and we really enjoyed the Halloween party this year, so we aren't completely out. And I keep reading these boards because I like to keep up with what Disney is doing and I keep thinking that we will switch back. But every year we do a couple of staycations and have been absolutely loved doing those at Universal. We love the pace at which Universal has been adding attractions, the staff at Universal are consistently wonderful to DS6 with autism, and we love our after 4p express passes that come with our premium AP's.

As others have mentioned, my line in the sand is if the elimination of the standby lines/reservation only thing becomes the norm. I don't know why it bothers me so much because the truth is we are not getting in a line for Toy Story that's 60 minutes long (my son just can't handle it). But there is something about the idea of Disney telling me that I can't wait in the line even if I wanted to (taking away that choice) that really turns me off.

You get 3 FP+ and a DAS so your son doesn't have to wait 60 minutes for TSM. Don't you know about the DAS?

You get 3 FP+ and a DAS so your son doesn't have to wait 60 minutes for TSM. Don't you know about the DAS?

I do, thanks! We haven't had to use it yet - they refused to give us one for the 4-7 before the Halloween party (turned out that we didn't need it but didn't know that beforehand). But I think during the Toy Story test they weren't allowing any DAS's at all or am I wrong about that? It's a hypothetical that they would do this large scale, but if they did I can't imagine going back to Disney AP's. I recognize that my feelings might be a little illogical in that I'd be mad that Disney would be saying that I can't wait in a line we wouldn't wait in anyway :). But there is something about removing the choice (again hypothetical since they haven't done FP+ only on a permanent basis) that would bug me.

NOTHING will keep us away from Mickey!!!
We love our Mickey! We'll all get used to everything as it settles. FP+ & DAS will each be easier as we get more experienced in using them.

It was all started by a mouse - there were flaws to overcome back then, just as there are flaws now.
We will still have our enjoyment of Disney - we just have to get used to new rules & new ways of doing things.

I'm looking forward to our February trip! It's exciting!!!!

Cost. Knowing that we could go to Europe or South America for (oftentimes) the same price irks me a bit. If it becomes too cost prohibitive it might be just a once in a great great while treat.

But in terms of service and decision-making, we were on the Fantasy in Hurricane Sandy and after a death-defying night Disney gave us only 25% off another cruise. It fell short of expectations, especially after a night sitting in the lobby thinking we might be in the water at any moment BECAUSE of their decision making. They wanted to push up the coast to get back to port. It was a decision based on their schedule and finances, not the safety and comfort of passengers.

And after all of that, GUESS WHAT WE DID LAST FEBRUARY. I'll never cruise in hurricane season again, but I gladly used my 25% off for a Western Caribbean Cruise and we had a great time. So maybe if I HAD actually died I wouldn't go back again? HA!

i wasn't going to respond to this thread, but i have to come in here to correct this. The captain and DCL made the decision to sail north when Sandy was on a different path. She changed direction and by that point, the Fantasy had no other option. It was inside the hurricane (Sandy was enormous, with a much larger footprint than what was forecast even the day before).

Again, at the time the decision was made to sail north, Sandy wasn't supposed to be in that area.
Disney would NOT put a multi-gazillion dollar ship at risk - not to mention the passengers and crew - just to save a day or two on the schedule.

sorry for the off topic post, but i had to respond to this one.

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread ;)

I haven't reached my limit yet, but am getting close. We always stayed in Deluxes - we take time during our trips to get away from the park and spend some time at the hotel. These last two trips I was totally priced out, and could not justify the per night cost. Our last trip we stayed at the Coronado so we could do FP+. Dark, dismal room, too far from the main building and the fire alarm going off on our sleep in morning (I actually ripped it off the wall the second time and left it on the desk). The crowds were outrageous, esp at MK, and if we didn't have 3 bonus FP due to problems from our previous trip we wouldn't have been able to ride as much as we did, even with RD and EMH ( we enjoy riding some multiple times). And the 10 day NE tickets I purchased a couple years back are about to run out, paying $100/day for a few rides at HS isn't really worth it.

I love Disney Magic but crowds and I don't go well together, so this last trip soured it for me. It will be awhile before we go back. We will, just not as often. Between the crowds (our dates were limited), and the rising costs of hotels, food and tickets, it will be a less frequent experience. Right now, we are planning a Grand Canyon trip, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and maybe Hershey. Another trip to WDW is always down the road. We have to pay tuition now, so can't do both.

We quit buying annual passes, and have cut our number of trips per year.
We have been staying at deluxe resorts, but I think we will go to moderates after our next visit.

Air travel is also a consideration. It used to be a lot easier to travel. We don't enjoy flying any more.

I don't really know if I could pinpoint anything specific. I'd first have to have something that I could compare WDW to for reference, but there really isn't anything like it. The closest option I have is Cedar Point, which really isn't comparable. Now, when I do Cedar Point I stay on site for free (my parents have a boat), the tickets and in-park costs are comparable to WDW's, and the thrill rides are spectacularly better than anything the mouse puts out. But the food sucks, shows are basically nonexistent, workers clearly would rather not be there, the park is dirty, my daughter and husband actually can't ride most of the rides, there's rarely fireworks, zero 'magic', you can't go there during the winter (and you wouldn't want to), and there's nothing offsite worth seeing (unless you're really into off track betting on harness racing). And ultimately, it's ONE park. So basically, in order to stop me going to WDW, Disney would have to offer a product that is inferior to what I get at Cedar Point.

I'm really impressed at people who say they can travel to Europe for less than a WDW vacation. My last Europe trip was more than twice what I usually pay to go to WDW. I'm by no means rich, but I consider WDW to be a cheaper option trip to be taken in between more expensive vacations. I mean, international airfares alone are killer! Perhaps it's having multiple kids that makes a difference.

Edited to say, I really do like Cedar Point! It's a different experience.

Never eat CP food. Stop at Meijer on the way to the park and get picnic food.
It's an amusement park, not a theme park. Not meant to be a multi-day attraction.Summer staff are college students, so this is only a part time job for them, not a career. That being said, still enjoy CP. I decide what I am going to ride without having to schedule them 30+ days out.

I really think tiered levels of fast passes and operating hours per hotel category would bother me. (and i think it will happen) . For example, 6 fp plus one hr early for deluxe only. Before you say Universal does it, I already know that and I think implementation at Disney would be much different

It's going to bother me if they DON'T do this. I like staying deluxe and the price is getting more & more difficult to meet. I think the customers that spend the most deserve more rewards from the company. And right now the perks just are not there

I think our upcoming trip in February will be our make or break. We're lucky because we can go during "off times" since we don't have children. I think until we see more growth (star wars or something new) we might lay low until we have children. My husband is a Sheriffs Officer, and Disney is one of the only vacations he feels relaxed and doesn't constantly have his guard up. That being said, this is our first go round with only FPP (last time we were testers and had both legacy fp and fpp) sooooo we shall see the stress level in 84 days.

The line in the sand has not been reached but it has crept closer with how the rollout of FP+ was handled and still is currently being handled. I dont like all the planning and we plan. I want to ride things over and over just like we did with FP-. We have been on trips where weather and sickness have had us switch things up. I dont like the fact that the ability to switch is jeopardized by not getting the rides we want for FP+. We did not pay all this money to stand in long lines, it was why we chose WDW in the first place. We got a lot of bang for our buck rides wise and did not have to wait a long time like in other places. The same with the fee on ADRs, this is my vacation, I should be able to cancel my plans and not be charged. They can fill the table with a walkup.

If they go to the FP+ for all rides then that might be the dealbreaker.

We went to DL this past summer and it was so nice to deal with things the way they use to be.

:rotfl: Good for you.

OK to answer your question for ME the line has been crossed with on site VS off site windows for FP+ Been going for over 30 years. We will always go to WDW, we just do it differently.

I think it's more than fair for those that are paying for onsite to get a longer FP window.

I think it's more than fair for those that are paying for onsite to get a longer FP window.

And I think it royally stinks, and I am a DVC owner! It should not matter where one is staying, whether it is with grandma down the road or in the GF!!!! Everyone pays the same to walk through those gates, they should be treated the same. EMH is enough for onsite, imho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter