What is the biggest DIY project you have ever undertaken?

Back in 1980 my soon to be husband who had bought a pre-1850’s fixer upper had to jack the house up and dig out a basement. They did it all by hand using a slip scrapper (like a wheel barrow with no wheels) and tractor. Poured the concrete, laid the block. That was just one of the many things he’s done to our house.

My DD’s were into American Girl dolls when they were little and I could never find an easy way to store/display all of their doll furniture, so I built them each dollhouses (large doll houses lol). I do not consider myself to be handy not artistic, but really wanted to do this for them- if was their Christmas gift and they loved them.
7FC72DA9-2B81-4364-84DA-EAD8DDF5E02B.jpeg

Completely gutted and remodeled our kitchen in our prior house. DH is quite handy and had a boatload of tools. The only thing we did not do ourselves was electrical as we took out our wall oven and moved the oven to another wall, also needing a 220 line run.

Also, our prior house had every room wallpapered and we stripped the paper and repainted ourselves.

Our first house, we dug out a strip in the front yard and put in a brick paver walkway. We also dug out for a patio in our backyard and laid a brick paver patio.

My DH loved doing all of these things, had the tools and know how. Now, we hire out as he’s older, has balance issues, etc.

I'm not that handy, but when I bought my first house I painted and blew texture on the ceiling and repainted every room and closet before I moved in. Then in 2020 I installed a new garbage disposal all by myself after watching a few Youtube videos.

Putting up wood paneling in my family room. I am not handy but managed to cut the openings for the electrical outlets in the right places, and fit it around our barrel shaped fireplace etc. I must have done an okay job as it is still up 38 years later.
I know wood paneling has cycled in and out of "style" repeatedly in 38 years, but it makes the room so welcoming and warm.

Well, I don’t like to brag, but I did single-handedly build the current tallest building in the world. And I did it all in one month, no two weeks, It was a wedding present to my wife, Morgan Fairchild… yeah that’s the ticket!

We redid the kitchen. We replaced the kitchen cabinets, & altered the layout. Did not move any plumbing or electrical. We did put in a different size sink. We did have someone come in to do the countertops.
i still have to pick out / put up a backsplash.

What is the biggest DIY project you have ever undertaken?

Not "me" alone, but my husband & I painted the entire inside of our house a few years ago.

Also removed the entire front yard and replaced with rocks and drought resistant plants.

In our first house, we removed the wallpaper in the kitchen and textured the walls before painting them. My DH replaced the fluorescent lights with track lighting and replaced the faucet. In our living room, we installed dentil crown molding. In our nursery, we painted a paint by numbers mural. The biggest job was our guest room. In there, we painted the walls, installed a chair rail, and installed beadboard below that.

Over nearly 20 years of life on the farm...so many projects.

We have put up miles of fencing
Replumbed the barn
Countless electrical fixes...new barn lights, new arena lights, electrical fixes
Remediated immense storm damage (trees down, roof destroyed)
built new bathroom cabinet/vanity/sink
built new kitchen cabinet doors/drawers
Rebuilt our kitchen island
Redid the floors in the house
Built a new railing on our back deck
Leveled floors in our barn stalls
Moved our entire yard fence and stripped/repainted

ANd on and on.

Our first home was a cosmetic fixer. Tearing down wallpaper, lots of painting, ripping up and replacing flooring, sanding and painting cupboards, etc. I was a teacher and we closed the last week of school. It was a busy summer! Fortunately it was very close to DH's work so he didn't have a commute because he needed every minute at home too. Painting I could handle on my own, but he took the lead on pretty much everything else. He grew up doing lots of home projects, I did not! I learned a lot - mainly that that's not anything I want to do again. It was definitely worth it to get into the housing market though.

I still do painting etc. but that's about it. Anything that involves a bunch of tools is either him or someone we hired. I did refinish a table with six chairs and all of our bathroom cupboards during the early part of the pandemic though. My guess is that will remain my last big project like that.

Biggest we did on our own was probably when we replaced the siding on the entire 2.5 story house.

Getting my store up and running.
We did need contractors to do our build out, but the rest was us.
Biggest project ever! (for us)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter