• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the best luau in Oahu??

jondee

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Aulani in January. What is the best luau to attend? I can't find current reviews to help me decide. Has anyone been recently?

We are staying at Aulani in January. What is the best luau to attend? I can't find current reviews to help me decide. Has anyone been recently?
From my experience and from what I see printed in guidebooks, the traditional Oahu Luau's tend to be sub par as a group. While not a traditional Luau, my preference is the Polynesian Cultural Center where they have a Luau meal and a very nice show. I'd leave early, stop by the Dole Plantation, have lunch in Haleiwa then hit the PCC when it opens. Do the Luau meal then the show. It's a long day but worth it if one has never been. Historically they've had a coupon in the entertainment book buy one regular admission and get one half off, but I'm not sure if they have this year. If you reserve a package ahead of time, they will refund the difference for almost all packages. If that is your choice, reserve ahead and pick your seats.

We attended the Paradise Cove Luau in July. It is within easy walking distance to Aulani. We enjoyed the food and drinks. The show was great too. There are a lot of activities to do beforehand. If you want to have a Mai Tai during your luau, I suggest skipping the one at PCC. They do not serve alcohol since the Center is run by the Hawaii BYU.

From my experience and from what I see printed in guidebooks, the traditional Oahu Luau's tend to be sub par as a group. While not a traditional Luau, my preference is the Polynesian Cultural Center where they have a Luau meal and a very nice show. I'd leave early, stop by the Dole Plantation, have lunch in Haleiwa then hit the PCC when it opens. Do the Luau meal then the show. It's a long day but worth it if one has never been. Historically they've had a coupon in the entertainment book buy one regular admission and get one half off, but I'm not sure if they have this year. If you reserve a package ahead of time, they will refund the difference for almost all packages. If that is your choice, reserve ahead and pick your seats.

When we lived on Oahu, the PCC opened early in the morning. It was a long all day thing (exhausting but the only way to see all the countries was to get there when they opened). Do they open after lunch now?

All luau's on Oahu are touristy. That being said, I've done Paradise Cove twice - once 20 years ago when we moved there then 10 years ago when visiting with my mom and friends (we moved to Maryland). That was once too many - it's long and boring. Still if you insist on doing one, I'd do that since it's right there in Ko Olina. Food is typical - show is cute but so LONG. If you do go, go early to do the activities. It's cute and fun.

When we lived on Oahu, the PCC opened early in the morning. It was a long all day thing (exhausting but the only way to see all the countries was to get there when they opened). Do they open after lunch now?

All luau's on Oahu are touristy. That being said, I've done Paradise Cove twice - once 20 years ago when we moved there then 10 years ago when visiting with my mom and friends (we moved to Maryland). That was once too many - it's long and boring. Still if you insist on doing one, I'd do that since it's right there in Ko Olina. Food is typical - show is cute but so LONG. If you do go, go early to do the activities. It's cute and fun.
They opened at around noon when we were there last a couple of years ago.

We just came back from Aulani a few days ago. We did the PCC and it was a LONG day. It opens at noon and we got there a little before 2. Enjoyed the various villages but it was hot walking around. Then they have a short luau around 5(decent food, a little entertainment)and then their mainstage production in a large ampitheater AFTER the luau around 7:30-9:00 with a short imtermission. It is a very long day. The mainstage show, Ha, reminded me of a Disney style show. It seemed like the Polynesian version of The Lion King. All said, it was a very long day with TOO MANY shows, IMO. Then there is a long drive back. Ha was kind of cheesy. If I had to do it over again I would try the Paradise Cove luau which is a walk away from Aulani.

Just went to paradise cove in August. Main reason was the walk from Aulani. We were worried as there were mixed reviews! However, we were pleasantly surprised! Enjoyed the activities, food, drink tickets, etc. Show was great and not long or boring in my opinion. We got a discount in the entertainment book and saved about $100. We did middle package, orchid.

I recommend it!

They opened at around noon when we were there last a couple of years ago.

I am probably mistaken. It was a long time ago; I just remember that it was a long day for us, and we didn't stay for the evening luau (we just did each country's thing).

I think the PCC to do everything and stay for the show does sound like too long of a day to me!

I agree if you do Paradise Cove, do the intermediate one (not the cheapest but not the most expensive). We also got a discount from the Entertainment book. For the proximity, I'd choose that one.

I am probably mistaken. It was a long time ago; I just remember that it was a long day for us, and we didn't stay for the evening luau (we just did each country's thing).

I think the PCC to do everything and stay for the show does sound like too long of a day to me!

I agree if you do Paradise Cove, do the intermediate one (not the cheapest but not the most expensive). We also got a discount from the Entertainment book. For the proximity, I'd choose that one.
When we were there living in Kahaluu (Valley of the Temples), we were a bit closer than most to Laie. My recollection was it opened 11-12 depending on time of year but that's been 28-29 yrs ago. My wife made the trip quite regularly when we had any visitors but she isn't sure as to usual opening time.

We just got back from Hawaii and really enjoyed the luau at Paradise Cove. The food was ok, nothing special. Need more desserts, imo. The show was very entertaining and the setting was beautiful. We just did the basic package and could see just fine as we were seated near the main aisle. Make sure to get there early with the basic package to choose your seat.

We booked through Hawaii Discounts site and saved around 20%.

Another vote for Paradise Cove! We really enjoyed our day at the Polynesian Cultural Center (also felt like a long day to us but after 4 visits to Oahu, we felt it had to be done!) but you can't beat the fact that you can walk to and FROM (after a few mai tais!) PC back to Aulani!

I *love* Polynesian dance. Love it, love it, love it! I also love mai-tais. Yum! Luau food can be hit and miss. We went to Paradise Cove the last time we were in Hawaii and I *hated* it. The food was absolute garbage. The drinks were watered down, even after paying extra for a REAL Mai Tai. The show was just 'meh'. Honestly, the best part of the whole experience was the bus ride from our Waikiki hotel (the Royal Hawaiian :goodvibes) to PC. Our bus guide was a hoot. In short, Paradise Cove sucked. Really, really sucked. Waste of money and a waste of time.

We went to the Polynesian Cultural Center years ago. I really loved meeting all the people from the different Polynesian counties. We did not eat at the luau because I couldn't being myself to eat luau-type food where there were no Mai Tais because the PCC is run by the LDS church. We came back for the main show and it was FABULOUS! I highly recommend it.

I've heard very good things about 'Aha'aina - A Royal Hawaiian Luau over at the Royal Hawaiian. We watched the show from the Azure Restaurant and Mai Tai bar (serving the BEST Mai Tais on the island IMO) on the same trip at the visit to PC. The food looked really great (although non-traditional) and the show was very good. It's on Mondays only and right on Waikiki Beach. If you go to the luau itself it is VERY expensive.

royal-hawaiian-luau-outside.jpg

See the umbrellas to the left? That is the beach restaurant and bar. The food at Azure is pretty good too!

Another Paradise Cove vote! It's walking distance from Aulanj which was a plus!

We went last summer and did the Hale Koa Luau. It was great for a fun touristy luau. Check out tripadvisor for pics and reviews.

I came on here to vote for Paradise Cove too, but that has been covered. It is a really fun luau with lots of great activities beforehand. Enjoy and Aloha!!

Save your money and attend Starlit Hui at Aulani. We went to Germaine Luau. It was cheesy..the food was probably out all day and not that good. I did love Starlit Hui...it seemed more authentic and FREE! And a nice surprise at the end.

Save your money and attend Starlit Hui at Aulani. We went to Germaine Luau. It was cheesy..the food was probably out all day and not that good. I did love Starlit Hui...it seemed more authentic and FREE! And a nice surprise at the end.

Cute and entertaining! But, short and no food. The whole imu pig is an important part!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter