• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is Jersey Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
Can somebody please tell me what this is? How does it affect crowds? Is it a special event, like "red shirt day" or more like a competition?

Somebody told my wife to avoid it and simply said, "dont go jersey week, the people are so rude" That tells me nothing. People everywhere can be rude.

It starts 3 November this year. It's when many New Jersey schools have their fall break. I have been there during that time, and it's busy, but then I really think all times are busy now. It also runs up against Veterans Day and holidays always see higher crowds. On top of that, it tends to be the end of halloween parties and then holiday parties start up during the same timeframe.

Last edited:
In NJ the schools close for teacher convention in 2018 it’s Nov 8-9, it’s also Election Day on the 6th, so some schools are only open Monday and Wednesday so a lot of parents pull there kids for the week because it only requires missing 2 or 3 days (some schools are open on Election Day).

Personally I don’t find people from NJ rude, but then again living here probably helps.

Take everything with a grain of salt, a lot of people go that week from around here, and crowds may be higher but it’s no Christmas week!

Eta: and I have learnt some school close for the whole week too!

Last edited:
Rudeness is regional. People in New England and NY/NJ tend to be direct (it's a survival skill in the winter, no need to mince words in sub zero wind chills).

At least in these parts, we won't ask if you need help with something because we don't want to intrude. To someone from a different part of the country, not asking is rude and if they came up here and asked someone, they'd probably get yelled at mind their own business.

In NJ the schools close for teacher convention in 2018 it’s Nov 8-9, it’s also Election Day on the 6th, so some schools are only open Monday and Wednesday so a lot of parents pull there kids for the week because it only requires missing 2 or 3 days (some schools are open on Election Day).

Personally I don’t find people from NJ rude, but then again living here probably helps.

Take everything with a grain of salt, a lot of people go that week from around here, and crowds may be higher but it’s no Christmas week!

We lived in a district before that closed for that whole week each year, and it can also run into Veteran's Day weekend, like it will in 2018.

We lived in a district before that closed for that whole week each year, and it can also run into Veteran's Day weekend, like it will in 2018.

That’s amazing here we get this chopped up ridiculous week. I think it’s because we also close for the Jewish holidays so we need those 2/3 days.

We've been on a WDW vacation multiple times during Jersey Week including last Nov 2 - 11 which was also the last full week of Food&Wine. All the hubbub is way overblown IMHO. We'll probably be there again in 2019.

Bill From PA

Now that crowds are more even throughout the year, I'm not sure it's as big a deal.

Up until a few years ago, Jersey Week saw a VERY visible increase in park crowds compared surrounding weeks. Not just from NJ, but there is often a fall break for many New England areas. Is it as bad as peak weeks? No. Are NJ guests any ruder, pusher or louder than any other guests? No. It's just more people. But over the last few years, the Food and Wine festival has increased crowds so much,, I don't think Jersey Week has the same visible impact that it once had.

I'll also add that free dining has historically been blacked out during "Jersey Week". Never been that week, but that may speak to crowd levels as well.

The name should tell you all you need to know...because New Jersey. :duck::duck::duck:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...I grew up in a town literally on the PA side of the Delaware river and am married to a Jersey native.

You should be so lucky and go that week and meet all us fine NJ folks. Honestly, anytime I go I run into a ton of NJ people.

I'll be there for my first Jersey Week this year. Our schools close Tuesday for election day and the Thursday and Friday for the convention. Monday and Wednesday are half days. I'm pulling DD out the Friday before (11/2) and we are heading to WDW.

I don't think NJ people are rude either. We are just more direct. We don't mince words and say what we have to say. Direct and rude are two different things. For example if you cut the line and someone from NJ is the person you cut in front of I will say 95% of the time they will call you out on it and not back down. You will end up behind them. lol

We've gone "Jersey Week" 3 times (we are from Kentucky) and we have found it to be a fairly nice week to go. Crowds are fairly high, but manageable. If you time you vacation just right, you can experience Halloween and Christmas in the span of the same trip.

We will be there Nov 6-11 this year.

You should be so lucky and go that week and meet all us fine NJ folks. Honestly, anytime I go I run into a ton of NJ people.

I'll be there for my first Jersey Week this year. Our schools close Tuesday for election day and the Thursday and Friday for the convention. Monday and Wednesday are half days. I'm pulling DD out the Friday before (11/2) and we are heading to WDW.

I don't think NJ people are rude either. We are just more direct. We don't mince words and say what we have to say. Direct and rude are two different things. For example if you cut the line and someone from NJ is the person you cut in front of I will say 95% of the time they will call you out on it and not back down. You will end up behind them. lol

True dat :teeth: LOL

People who think Jersey folk are rude have been watching too many episodes of the Sopranos and Jersey Shore :P

We have inadvertently been at WDW during Jersey Week a few times. It doesn't feel or look any different than any other time. It's crowded. It's crowded most of the time.
Crowds are not more rude, there are rude people there every single day, I don't notice them or pay them any attention if they make themselves known. I keep it moving and ignore.

Since the Brazilian tour groups are no longer in the parks, this is the new pariah of the world? Don't worry, it's nothing. Truly.

Since the Brazilian tour groups are no longer in the parks,

I don't mean to go off topic, but can you elaborate? We were at Universal two weeks ago and the South American groups were abound. Did Disney do something about them?

I think their economy tanked and many took huge financial hits. I have no idea if Disney did anything.

My husband sold his old house in Celebration about 10 years ago to a Brazilian owner who turned it into a massive boarding house for tourists. He made a ton of money renting the house to people visiting Disney that didn't want to stay on property. Fast forward several years, they had to sell and it's been purchased by a family who reverted back to a family home. Several Celebration properties were sold to Brazilians who then had to unload the property when their financial downfall hit.

I was highly disappointed when I found out that Jersey week meant people from new jersey were in the park. Simply because I thought Jersey week was something cool where everyone wore sports jerseys.

Just like Gay days, if you didn't see it online prior, you'd never know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter