What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and that was just a handful of hours until close, with a measly 2 min. refresh time. When I'm there and I'm actually testing here from home, I get pretty much whatever I want day of, and see SDD, MFSR, ToT, R'n'R, TSMM, multiple times a day and I don't sit here and refresh much at all. As I said; I'm concerned for the newbies when they are given wrong info and assume it's true so don't seek out correct info on how to score those FP's. And, those examples are just day of, let alone, what I line up 60 days ahead of time, and how to stack them so you can get more FP's in a day. That's useful information as to what is going on in the parks, not an odd screenshot of "no FP's" available for the next day that will go away if you refresh, or wait til day of.

Yes, and that was just a handful of hours until close, with a measly 2 min. refresh time. When I'm there and I'm actually testing here from home, I get pretty much whatever I want day of, and see SDD, MFSR, ToT, R'n'R, TSMM, multiple times a day and I don't sit here and refresh much at all. As I said; I'm concerned for the newbies when they are given wrong info and assume it's true so don't seek out correct info on how to score those FP's. And, those examples are just day of, let alone, what I line up 60 days ahead of time, and how to stack them so you can get more FP's in a day. That's useful information as to what is going on in the parks, not an odd screenshot of "no FP's" available for the next day that will go away if you refresh, or wait til day of.

My point is, yes sometimes (often) refresh is very successful. Sometimes it’s not. If posting “nothing available” at DHS is unhelpful so is reassuring someone they can get near everything with little effort same day, and it’s all there if you want it. They’re both snapshots of ever changing availability. At what I’m pretty sure was the exact same time, you saw better results than I did. Periodically checking for a couple minutes here and there throughout the day (save for drops) has given me similar unexciting results.

And honestly, if a newbie is paying attention to Josh on twitter they’ll be better off than most “uneducated” tourists anyways. I don’t think it was that misleading of a post. It’s pretty bad if you can’t even prebook muppets. The overall point was it is ridiculously busy for the operating hours they have.

I was able to get Slinky, AS2, and TSM on Friday for 3 with little effort. MFSR also popped up many times throughout the day. We already had RnR and ToT prebooked, but I saw those pop up lots throughout the day as well.
Agreed. Friday I pulled plenty of erides. Later in the day it gets harder. That's one of the keys to refreshing. Open to noon. Very easy. 12-4 Reasonable. After 4. Fairly tough at all tiered parks. Drop times extremely easy. Mmrr will make studios a lot more manageable for even the average refreshers.

The fact that a majority dont know or dont educate themselves is the fact they dont peruse disney message boards. They go to disney to have fun. If they get on 7 attractions in a day. 3 with fp and 4 in long stand bys, they are happy because they dont know what others know. Its oblivious bliss. And they enjoy the vacation they have and that's all they care about. The only people debating the merits of refresh are die hard disney people on sites like this and of those even a small.percentage get the whole thing. So again at any given time maybe 10 percent of the crowd knows how to use refresh. And the ones that dont. Dont care and enjoy their vacation.

I did the math, we spent about $23K total last year on WDW including AP's. My wife suggested we skip 2 years and pay off the house. I agree but our upcoming WDW trip in April and our trip in October at UO are paid for so those are a go. Our Christmas trip is 50% paid for but I'm not opposed to getting that chunk of change back. Now our AP expires in September. Not renewing will be my first step. Is there a Disney Anonyms?

What you’re implying is also not true though.

It isn’t fact that the FP are there for the taking as long as you’re willing to refresh. I literally saw the same 3 fairly useless FP in different variations at the same time you found slightly more success. Even yours are still what I would consider “nothing” (not literally nothing, but nothing worthwhile) in DHS, as they’re not all that useful even during very heavy crowds.

Again, I refreshed for much longer than 2 minutes and came up unsuccessful. Last trip we looped through TSMM, ToT, and RnRC as much as our hearts desired with near immediate access with less effort than I put in today.

U are absolutely correct, yes u can refresh the app over and over nonstop and get some fp to pop up but 99% that does come available are non popular rides that dont really require a fp to ride without waiting anyway. Sure, there is a very slight chance that a popular fp does appear but even when one does finally pop up, there are so many people doing the same thing that it goes away before u can even lock it in. Or its available at 11pm only. Not to mention, it false pretense to say someone can get any fp if they just resh their mde app cause it does NOT work that easy, u have to literally sit on ur phone and refresh the app over n over n over hundred times nonstop and could take 20-30 min of doing this before u actually get a popular fp that's worth getting to finally pop up. Now it might be ok for someone that visits alot to spend half their time on their phone refreshing the app, but a newbie is going to want to be able to spend their time enjoying the parks, filled with awe, not wasting time on cell phone cause everything is new to them and at this point their not worried about trying to get another fp cause there is still just too much to see and do. The refreshing of mde nonstop is more for the non-newbie folks.

Sorry, I guess we just operate differently; I don't stay on my phone at all (as evidence, I don't run out of battery in the parks ever and don't carry a charger) and yes, I can get FoP, NRJ, Everest, SDD, TSMM, Soarin, etc... day of. It is not misleading people to inform them of how to do so and when to try as a balance to acting like there is no FP's for a given day, the day prior when he knows better. Yes, indeed, if you have 8 people you are probably going to have to split 4/4 in order to search successfully. You have to start your day off right and get through your FP's in short order by moving things around as you use up FP's. I do almost all of this in line in less than a minute.

I've never argued it doesn't take planning, I plan for every vacation I take. Not everyone is a planner and that's ok. Doing day of FP's takes knowledge, not necessarily planning. Part of that is working the park hours, which have reduced, but that reduction does not have to equal a reduction in what rides you can get on in a day. It also takes knowledge of when to not go to the parks unless you can handle them when they are slammed (here's looking at you NYE). Totally get griping about it, but I don't support misleading information for newbies. I just taught a friend going during full blown Spring Break how to get FP's, move them around, drops, and how to get a BG for Rise.

U are absolutely correct, yes u can refresh the app over and over nonstop and get some fp to pop up but 99% that does come available are non popular rides that dont really require a fp to ride without waiting anyway. Sure, there is a very slight chance that a popular fp does appear but even when one does finally pop up, there are so many people doing the same thing that it goes away before u can even lock it in. Or its available at 11pm only. Not to mention, it false pretense to say someone can get any fp if they just resh their mde app cause it does NOT work that easy, u have to literally sit on ur phone and refresh the app over n over n over hundred times nonstop and could take 20-30 min of doing this before u actually get a popular fp that's worth getting to finally pop up. Now it might be ok for someone that visits alot to spend half their time on their phone refreshing the app, but a newbie is going to want to be able to spend their time enjoying the parks, filled with awe, not wasting time on cell phone cause everything is new to them and at this point their not worried about trying to get another fp cause there is still just too much to see and do. The refreshing of mde nonstop is more for the non-newbie folks.
I would disagree without reservation that you have to sit on your phone to get eride level FPs. We go every other weekend and have absolutely no issues in groups up to 4 and split of more than that. Again, if you show up at 5PM, your chances are less, but, if you know the drops, it isnt hard at all to get good FPs. We have been to AK a ton in the past few months and not once have we failed to get an FoP at 101 with minimal effort. Last Friday for a friend I pulled multiple eride attractions at Studios ( SDD, TSM, SMuggler(2), ToT(2), RNRC (2), Star Tours)with no more than 5 or so refreshes ( understanding when drops happen helps). Epcot is generally easy other than TT when it is up but between 12 and 2 it generally will show up quite a bit. We do not sit on our phone to do it. We both open the app in a FP line and within a few refreshes have something we want. We actually have fun seeing who can grab what first. It allows us to eb flexible, move at a chill reasonable pace, and enjoy the day on our terms. The nice thing is there are 3 camps..People willing to work the app/website and know drops, know how to maneuver through things and adapt, People who know but think its too much work and isnt reliable, and people who dont have a clue. As long as those people in the second camp keep thinking the way they do, it makes it even easier for those of us in the first camp to do our thing. Because the people in camp 3, who are the vast majority will never be in the first or second camp. And that is fine by me.

Throughout the various threads I've found that people's definition of "being on the phone constantly", "being on the phone forever and ever", etc all seems to vary on a personal level. Perception of time and effort honestly.

It is literally no issue whatsoever for me to pull out my phone in a queue and look for a FP. I think some people resent that, the idea that Disney has created an app that is used (both at WDW and DLR). There are kisosks available though to select FPs for those without either a smartphone or those who don't want to use a smartphone.

How successful one is on the refresh method I think depends on personal preferences towards rides. A newbie..I mean they'll probably be happy there IS a FP to use if they are using the app in the first place. The Vets are the ones who are typically so discerning on what is a good FP or not good FP. Heck even I have my own preferences towards FP that I know other people consider a waste of a FP.

But I've said it before sometimes people overestimate the complaints newer Disney guests have. Way too many people I know just go and have fun or they go and don't have fun and they don't make a big fuss over it..it is what it is no biggie to them. They aren't usually concerned with the things that people here on the Boards are. To me that's totally ok :)

What you’re implying is also not true though.

It isn’t fact that the FP are there for the taking as long as you’re willing to refresh. I literally saw the same 3 fairly useless FP in different variations at the same time you found slightly more success. Even yours are still what I would consider “nothing” (not literally nothing, but nothing worthwhile) in DHS, as they’re not all that useful even during very heavy crowds.

Again, I refreshed for much longer than 2 minutes and came up unsuccessful. Last trip we looped through TSMM, ToT, and RnRC as much as our hearts desired with near immediate access with less effort than I put in today.

Refresh is in no way a guarantee. I've had terrible luck with it over the last 2 years, and IMO its only going to get worse. Knowledge of refresh is gaining. More and more people are using it. Couple that with no availability the day before and as time goes on it will be even harder (or they will just charge for it).

I don't see the problem with stating a fact that there are no more FP's available. I actually think its more genuine than saying, "You can get as many same day FP's you want in just 4 or 5 refreshes"..............

And the overall point is, WDW obviously knows its going to be busy (ALL FP's are booked). So why not stay open a smidge later than 8?

I don't see people saying "You can get as many same day FP's you want in just 4 or 5 refreshes." I saw the screencap of Josh's showing "no available FP's for DHS for the next day," however. You have to know how to use the system in it's most efficient way in order to score those harder to get same day FP's as well as the drops, and what to choose on your 60 or 30 day window if that is available.

I did the math, we spent about $23K total last year on WDW including AP's. My wife suggested we skip 2 years and pay off the house. I agree but our upcoming WDW trip in April and our trip in October at UO are paid for so those are a go. Our Christmas trip is 50% paid for but I'm not opposed to getting that chunk of change back. Now our AP expires in September. Not renewing will be my first step. Is there a Disney Anonyms?

Mine expires next week. It's hard to take a year off and reduce the number of trips, but we have projects we want to do around the house and we want to pay off our car. I was also feeling a little burnt out, but I know it's tougher when you still want to go a bunch.

I'm already planning our trip for May 2021 and that helps. :)

I don't see people saying "You can get as many same day FP's you want in just 4 or 5 refreshes." I saw the screencap of Josh's showing "no available FP's for DHS for the next day," however. You have to know how to use the system in it's most efficient way in order to score those harder to get same day FP's as well as the drops, and what to choose on your 60 or 30 day window if that is available.
See below:

We have been to AK a ton in the past few months and not once have we failed to get an FoP at 101 with minimal effort. Last Friday for a friend I pulled multiple eride attractions at Studios ( SDD, TSM, SMuggler(2), ToT(2), RNRC (2), Star Tours)with no more than 5 or so refreshes ( understanding when drops happen helps).

I don't see how Josh posting a verifiable fact is wrong but stating that you can just do 5 or so refreshes and expect to pull multiple erides is acceptable...

And again, the main point is there is no reason that HS should close at 8, especially when they saw all the FP's were gone.....

ETA: What do you think happens to the refresh method as knowledge spreads? (It already is terrible for me can't imagine adding another 10% of the WDW population to it)

See below:

I don't see how Josh posting a verifiable fact is wrong but stating that you can just do 5 or so refreshes and expect to pull multiple erides is acceptable...

And again, the main point is there is no reason that HS should close at 8, especially when they saw all the FP's were gone.....

ETA: What do you think happens to the refresh method as knowledge spreads? (It already is terrible for me can't imagine adding another 10% of the WDW population to it)

Typical HS hours for February have been 9 AM to 8 PM in the past but this year it's been 8 AM to 8 PM so they are actually keeping the park open a bit longer. I'm not sure you can schedule employees hours and buses around whether or not there are fast passes any given day. Most venues run on reduced hours in the winter; Island of Adventures runs on a 9 AM to 7 PM schedule usually and that has a very in demand ride right now.

Typical HS hours for February have been 9 AM to 8 PM in the past but this year it's been 8 AM to 8 PM so they are actually keeping the park open a bit longer. I'm not sure you can schedule employees hours and buses around whether or not there are fast passes any given day. Most venues run on reduced hours in the winter; Island of Adventures runs on a 9 AM to 7 PM schedule usually and that has a very in demand ride right now.

They opened their crown jewel at HS since the last Feb, and they thought an hour in the morning would cover it?

They've got data on top of data telling them that HS is going to be busy. So they strip out morning characters and still close at 8....It's a shareholder move, that's what it is. Still doesn't make me accept it.

IoA has neighboorhood restrictions they have to follow, not the same as WDW.....

"most venues" - Most venues don't charge what Disney charges...

Over the past two years we have not seen use of refresh become more prevalent. If you take yourself outside the message board bubble, the majority of people in the parks, id say well over 80 likely closer to 90% have no clue. The boards and die hard Disney fans who understand the system know about refresh and such is miniscule as a percentage of guests in the park. We have actually seen the availability be easier in the past few months and the new tiers and MMRR will make Studios even easier. It isnt a piece of cake, it takes knowledge and timing, but, to say there arent any top level Fps available in a few refreshes is categorically untrue. Just as a tweet saying there are no more FPs tomorrow at Studios. That is also untrue. The prebooks are gone, but, the FPs are not.

They opened their crown jewel at HS since the last Feb, and they thought an hour in the morning would cover it?

They've got data on top of data telling them that HS is going to be busy. So they strip out morning characters and still close at 8....It's a shareholder move, that's what it is. Still doesn't make me accept it.

IoA has neighboorhood restrictions they have to follow, not the same as WDW.....

Islands of Adventures has restrictions that means it closes at 7 PM in February but by 9 PM in April? I can't see that being the case but I might be wrong.

And yes almost all theme park venues reduce their hours in February. Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea Word etc are not what I would call cheap.

Last edited:
Over the past two years we have not seen use of refresh become more prevalent. If you take yourself outside the message board bubble, the majority of people in the parks, id say well over 80 likely closer to 90% have no clue. The boards and die hard Disney fans who understand the system know about refresh and such is miniscule as a percentage of guests in the park. We have actually seen the availability be easier in the past few months and the new tiers and MMRR will make Studios even easier. It isnt a piece of cake, it takes knowledge and timing, but, to say there arent any top level Fps available in a few refreshes is categorically untrue. Just as a tweet saying there are no more FPs tomorrow at Studios. That is also untrue. The prebooks are gone, but, the FPs are not.

So you are saying that his tweet is accurate for 90% of WDW travelers?

This. They added 1 hr.... 1 whole hour over previous operating times. Come on now.

The parks were at a 10 this entire week (president’s day) and you’re taken issue with josh pointing out that all FP were gone (true statement) but hey, it’s ok that they close at 8 because some of our guests know how to refresh?!?!

Islands of Adventures has restrictions that means it closes at 7 PM in February but by 9 PM in April? I can't see that being the case but I might be wrong.

And yes almost all theme park venues reduce their hours in February. Universal, Busch Gardens etc are not what I would call cheap.

So we are defending here by looking at the competitors?

I wish that worked with hotel rates....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter