What is Demi Glace?

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
What is Demi Glace and what section do I find it in the store? I'm going to attempt to make Major Domo's Favorite Pie. If anyone has made this I'd appreciate your tips. TIA!

A demi glace( pronounced demmy gloss) is a rich brown sauce made with beef or veal stock and something called espagnole(one of the French "mother" sauces..for ex...bechamel sauce is a mother sauce as is bearnaise). It takes LOTS of work to do and as I've never bought any(nor made any) I'm not sure where you could get it in your local grocery. Possibly in the international section under France??)

Thanks for the reply. I'm definately not going to make the gloss:blush:. I guess I'll ask my grocer if they have it or if they can order it.

I know Williams-Sonoma sells demi glace. I have never used it personally. All other food products have bought from them I have been satisfied with the taste. I do know there products do tend to be on the pricey side.

If you don't find it at WS try Dean and Deluca. I make it myself but it's a three day process so buying it is a good option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter