What is a good 35mm Camera for High School Photography class?

luvmy3

<font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t
My dd has to pick her electives for HS and she has chosen to take a photography class. I have just read through the course handbook and saw that they need a 35mm camera for the class. There aren't any other details so I'm not sure exactly what is required. I know I have time before she needs it but I like to do my research and I have no idea where to start when it comes to cameras.
Can anyone here tell me what beginner camera your child used, or any photographers here that can recommend a good camera for a beginner?
I don't want to spend a fortune so I'm not looking for top of the line but my dd will most likely be continuing with a focus on photography/media arts so I don't mind getting a good one at a reasonable price. Is a used camera okay or would you not recommend that? Thanks for any advice :)

Most classes I've taken recommend the Pentax K-1000 as a starter camera. It doesn't have a built-in flash, though, so check with the instructor whether that's needed.

Enjoy the class!

Hi Luvmy3. I'm a fan of the nikon line of cameras. I have a D3100 that is an entry level dslr and I love it.

Most of the entry cameras can be purchased in a kit (which I like) that includes a zoom lens and a genera all purpose lens. I love mines, very easy to use and since she is taking a class they will teach her how to get off of the automatic setting and really use the features of the camera. Also she can grow with the camera (add lenses etc)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736704-REG/Nikon_9798_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

So couple of suggestions.

a) You'll find many of the major camera manufactures will offer a lot of similar features (they have to, to stay competitive). If you can visit a camera shop and let her "hold" the various cameras. skip the electronic stores as they tend to carry a very limited selection. I know people who love pentax but pentax was not very popular in my neck of the woods. I had to go to a dedicated camera store to see it.

Agreed, The Pentax K-1000 is sort of the Model-T of the 35mm film camera world and considered a great "learning" camera. Cheap, reasonably well built, and no automatic "bells-n-whistles". You set all the controls yourself and it forces you to figure out what all the "stuff" does on the camera.

Photography board http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

I would go cheap. Places like B&H have good stock of used 35mm cameras. No one shoots in film on a regular basis anymore. I'd go with a major brand like Canon or Nikon then she might be able to keep the lens. If she progresses into photography she'll want a dSLR soon enough.

You mean people still use film cameras?
Where do you get film? Hasn't Kodak stopped making it? I have some old slides and noticed the slides made with Kodak film still look great. The ones made with other films have all faded.

Agreed, The Pentax K-1000 is sort of the Model-T of the 35mm film camera world and considered a great "learning" camera. Cheap, reasonably well built, and no automatic "bells-n-whistles". You set all the controls yourself and it forces you to figure out what all the "stuff" does on the camera.

Wow, can you find these new? Op, be warned. this is a film camera. ;) I'm not a professional photographer so I really wouldn't want to go back to film but if you daughter is going to seriously pursue this art she may not mind.

I didn't like mine, I totally admit to loving the automatic focus now found on most models.

Wow, can you find these new?

I didn't like mine, I found it too limited in what it could do and I'll totally admit to loving the automatic focus now found on most models.
New? No, but there's still plenty on the used market.

I never said the K-1000 is a "great" camera, but it's good for the purposes of learning the basic elements of how photography works. It strips away all of the extra "stuff" and leaves you with the basics: lens, mirror, shutter, focusing screen, basic TTL light meter, aperture control, shutter speed control, and shutter release. That's pretty much it. Back to the car analogy, it's easier to learn about the basic workings of an internal combustion vehicle by working on a Model-T then it is popping the hood on a 2012 Mustang.

Op, be warned. this is a film camera. ;) I'm not a professional photographer so I really wouldn't want to go back to film but if you daughter is going to seriously pursue this art she may not mind.
The OP said they needed a "35mm camera"... by definition that's a film camera. And yes, a lot of "intro" photography classes still use film.

My dd has to pick her electives for HS and she has chosen to take a photography class. I have just read through the course handbook and saw that they need a 35mm camera for the class. There aren't any other details so I'm not sure exactly what is required. I know I have time before she needs it but I like to do my research and I have no idea where to start when it comes to cameras.
Can anyone here tell me what beginner camera your child used, or any photographers here that can recommend a good camera for a beginner?
I don't want to spend a fortune so I'm not looking for top of the line but my dd will most likely be continuing with a focus on photography/media arts so I don't mind getting a good one at a reasonable price. Is a used camera okay or would you not recommend that? Thanks for any advice :)

The OP said they needed a "35mm camera"... by definition that's a film camera. And yes, a lot of "intro" photography classes still use film.

I took a photography class through a local junior college last year. It was a film/dark room class, much to my surprise. I posted on my Facebook page that I was looking for a 35mm SLR, and ended up with 2! You shouldn't need to spend much, if anything. If you can find one that does the auto-focus, that would be very helpful.

No insult intended. I was just surprised. Sort of like when people tell me they still do their school papers using a typewriter. I'm surprised.
My son is a graphic art major at Rowan in NJ and his intro classes were definitely all digital. It wasn't until he took a course in black and white medium did he even remotely come across anyone using a film camera and all of those where as a "backup" if some thing happened to their digital.

all my intro classes were digital.

Thanks for all the info, there is definitely alot to learn.

No insult intended.
None taken... I just didn't understand why you were "warning" the OP that the recommendations that others were giving were for film cameras.

I'm sure over time the use of film in intro classes will subside, but the practice is still alive and well today. In addition to the "Model-T" benefits of using film, there's another: cost to the student (and their family). Used 35mm SLR equipment is going for pennies on the original dollar now. I read a thread on a pro-photography board yesterday where a guy was lamenting that the top the line pro SLR he bought for $1,500 (back when that was an huge amount of money for a camera) a number of years ago is now selling on eBay routinely for ~$100. An entry level dSLR with "kit" lens will run around $600. Around $200 will get you up and running in the film world for a intro film class. That's also a price point for equipment that I wouldn't mind my kid taking to and from school all the time either.

None taken... I just didn't understand why you were "warning" the OP that the recommendations that others were giving were for film cameras.

I'm sure over time the use of film in intro classes will subside, but the practice is still alive and well today. In addition to the "Model-T" benefits of using film, there's another: cost to the student (and their family). Used 35mm SLR equipment is going for pennies on the original dollar now. I read a thread on a pro-photography board yesterday where a guy was lamenting that the top the line pro SLR he bought for $1,500 (back when that was an huge amount of money for a camera) a number of years ago is now selling on eBay routinely for ~$100. An entry level dSLR with "kit" lens will run around $600. Around $200 will get you up and running in the film world for a intro film class. That's also a price point for equipment that I wouldn't mind my kid taking to and from school all the time either.

The reason I asked here was because a 35mm is required. I honestly assumed that everything was digital now so when I saw that she would need a 35mm I panicked thinking where on earth am I going to find one of those :laughing:
I knew there would be DISers with the answers! :)

Where do you get film? Hasn't Kodak stopped making it? I have some old slides and noticed the slides made with Kodak film still look great. The ones made with other films have all faded.

Kodachrome (not Ektachrome) last almost forever.

Here's a suggestion, ask the school if it is film or digital.

Kodak stopped making 'Kodachrome' film. They still make several different varieties of 35mm film, however.

To the OP, I personally would pick up a cheap, used Canon 35mm camera. Canons are great cameras and the lens can be reused if she decides to upgrade to dSLR. I used a Canon Rebel XS for years to good effect. These older cameras from teh '90s can be found super cheap on amazon and ebay.

Most classes I've taken recommend the Pentax K-1000 as a starter camera. It doesn't have a built-in flash, though, so check with the instructor whether that's needed.

Enjoy the class!

This is what I used about ten years ago. I bought mine on eBay for less than $100. We needed film because part of the course was working in the darkroom which was a lot of fun.

My daughter is taking art photography at her high school this semester (starting tomorrow), and they will be using 35mm film cameras for the class. Apparently developing the (black and white) film is part of the class. DD says she heard that if you have a 35mm camera, you should bring it, even a point and shoot, but if you don't have one, the school has lots that you can use.

I looked around here, but the only film camera I can find in my house that works is an APS one, and I doubt that is going to work out. We'll know more tomorrow.

"Digital Art Photography" will be a class for her to take next year, "Art Photography" is a prerequisite for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter