What I'm Focussed On - Animals

2iu3xn7.jpg

Humpback Whales - Bubble Net Feeding
While we were docked at Juneau we took a boat tour with nature photographer Cam Byrnes (www.flickr.com/photos/cambyrnes/) who took us to the humpback feeding areas. We saw this feeding behavior at least 4 times in a matter of about 30 minutes. He told us that watching the activity of the seagulls was also a clue as to when the humpbacks would soar upwards from the water.

From Wiki:"The humpback has the most diverse feeding repertoire of all baleen whales. Its most inventive technique is known as bubble net feeding; a group of whales swims in a shrinking circle blowing bubbles below a school of prey. The shrinking ring of bubbles encircles the school and confines it in an ever-smaller cylinder. This ring can begin at up to 30 metres (98 ft) in diameter and involve the cooperation of a dozen animals. Using a crittercam attached to a whale's back, researchers found that some whales blow the bubbles, some dive deeper to drive fish toward the surface, and others herd prey into the net by vocalizing. The whales then suddenly swim upward through the "net", mouths agape, swallowing thousands of fish in one gulp. Plated grooves in the whale's mouth allow the creature to easily drain all the water initially taken in."

DSC_4746-XL.jpg

DSC_5072-XL.jpg

DSC_5345-XL.jpg

DSC_5274-XL.jpg

DSC_5497-XL.jpg

Fantastic shots of the Whales, PythonFan888. I'm totally envious. The Alaskan trip is on my bucket list...and seeing whales on that trip would be pure icing.

I recently went to Sydney and visited their Taronga Zoo. Here are some shots from that zoo.

Bilby

Owl

Sailfin Lizard

Stick Insect

Little Penguin

princess::upsidedow

Some of my latest shots with my Nikon D800

One of my fluff babies with my phone: Samsung Galaxy SK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts