• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if you like to sleep-in...?

Setting an alarm to book rides is never fun but we did the Halloween party and didn't get back to the room till almost 1am and then weren't in bed till probably 1:30am. You can do everything from your phone so I just pulled my phone over under the covers booked our rides and went back to sleep. Everyone else didn't even budge. We didn't hit Epcot till the afternoon and had plenty to do that day with stacked rides.

"Leisurely holiday" and "Christmas at WDW" don't add up, sorry lol. That said I would suggest checking out Mammoth Club on YouTube, Molly has recently started doing videos on how to get a decent amount of things done at the parks if you're coming in during the afternoon. Just understand that someone will have to bite the bullet and get up early to stack LLs.

It all depends. If you are staying for a week, you have ample opportunities to ride everything. If there are holiday parties, after hours events, or you can take advantage of evening hours then you have ample opportunities to ride everything. If there are some attractions that don't interest you, especially if SDD or Rise don't interest you, then you have ample opportunity to ride everything.

OP: Just so you're aware. At 7 a.m. you can book a maximum of 2 things: 1 G+ selection and 1 ILL (Individual Lightning Lane). To further clarify, Individual Lightning Lane selections are NOT part of G+.

Also, you can book an ILL in a park other than your reserved park only if you have park hoppers

If you wanted to purchase the ILL for RotR, for example, that is a separate fee from G+, where you'd book your other DHS selections.

If you have interest in doing RotR and FoP (at DAK), these are both worth spending your ILL money on, since the lines for both these attractions can be ridiculously long.

Anyway, after you book your G+ attraction at 7 a.m., you cannot book another one until 2 hours after the park-opening time of the park you have reserved or even your hop-to park. So you can go back to sleep!

Meanwhile, do just a little bit of reading about G+ and ILLs. You need to have a plan unless you don't mind standing in lines. Long lines, since we're talking Christmas week, I believe.

If you have the funds and would like to stay up late and there are still tickets available, you might want to consider doing the Christmas party at MK instead of having a regular park day there. That way you could just sleep in, not worry about G+ or ILLs and enjoy MK that evening.

OP: Just so you're aware. At 7 a.m. you can book a maximum of 2 things: 1 G+ selection and 1 ILL (Individual Lightning Lane). To further clarify, Individual Lightning Lane selections are NOT part of G+.

Also, you can book an ILL in a park other than your reserved park only if you have park hoppers

If you wanted to purchase the ILL for RotR, for example, that is a separate fee from G+, where you'd book your other DHS selections.

If you have interest in doing RotR and FoP (at DAK), these are both worth spending your ILL money on, since the lines for both these attractions can be ridiculously long.

Anyway, after you book your G+ attraction at 7 a.m., you cannot book another one until 2 hours after the park-opening time of the park you have reserved or even your hop-to park. So you can go back to sleep!

Meanwhile, do just a little bit of reading about G+ and ILLs. You need to have a plan unless you don't mind standing in lines. Long lines, since we're talking Christmas week, I believe.

If you have the funds and would like to stay up late and there are still tickets available, you might want to consider doing the Christmas party at MK instead of having a regular park day there. That way you could just sleep in, not worry about G+ or ILLs and enjoy MK that evening.
Quick clarification---at 7am you can book 2 ILL selections if you plan on hopping, in addition to your 1 G+ and potential Guardians Virtual Queue. It's best to split up all that booking between 2 people, using the same MDE or separate ones as long as you are connected, because the popular ones go quickly!

Quick clarification---at 7am you can book 2 ILL selections if you plan on hopping, in addition to your 1 G+ and potential Guardians Virtual Queue. It's best to split up all that booking between 2 people, using the same MDE or separate ones as long as you are connected, because the popular ones go quickly!
True!

Wow it’s so ridiculous, how crazy that you have to know all of this stuff just to get on the rides now :(

Thank you for the tips though I really appreciate it!! I think I will go for the 7am wake up call, book what I need and then snooze for an hour haha 😂

Also, you need to wake up at 6:45 am to setup and pay for Genie+ each day unless you purchased a package before the change.

Setting up Genie+ (You do have to pay for it and sometimes there are issues with stored credit cards on MDE) and your ride preferences for each day isn’t necessary but does save a lot of time scrolling; click ‘LL’ on a ride on the tip board and when you refresh the tip board will automatically scroll down to that ride

Last edited:
Especially at Christmas, someone is going to have to be up at 7AM to ride any headliners. Unless you want to wait in line for hours. It doesn't have to be you, and it doesn't even have to be a person in WDW, but someone is going to have to do it.
You have an early riser mom or auntie who might do it for you? I bet my mom would, and she'd be up already.

Just log them in as you on the app.
Nope, just my partner and I. In our 30s and 40s but work in education so are early-risers who want a rest on holiday... ha ha! ;)

Just to be clear, Rose wasn’t suggesting the early riser would be someone travelling with you… actually just the opposite.

Her suggestion was that maybe you’ve got your mom or dad or a sister, brother, aunt, uncle or even a best friend who would be up anyway at 7 am eastern time— either because of time zone differences, or just because they themselves get up with the chickens… They could be at home—wherever home is— nowhere near WDW, making those initial G+ grabs, while you and DBf are happily snoozing, canoodling, or cuddling. 😉

Give them your log in info so that they can log in on the app as though they are you. Then they can grab those first LLs &/or ILLs @ 7a.m. (note: To make any ILLs, you’ll need to have a payment method saved within the app ahead of time…) You would just need to tell them what to prioritize for each day. You could pre-plan this, and leave them with a ‘to-do list’ or you could call or text them the night before to give them instructions.

Since you can’t book your next LL until 2 hours after the park opens, you will most likely be awake to do that selection yourself. If you anticipate a day where you’ll still be in bed at that time, just leave instructions for the second selections.

Your helper can be logged in as you at the same time you are logged in on your own device. DH and I shared my login — we were simultaneously logged in as me on our separate devices our whole trip. The system doesn’t care how many devices are logged in on a single account at the same time.

Hope that made sense.
DH & I would rather spend our mornings in bed too, now that we are empty-nesters. Apparently however, we seem to have raised a rope dropper. So on our recent trip with our eldest son & his family, we were sure to be woken up @ 6-6:30 every day.

Our last 4 days of our trip were on our own… we moved over to the Swan, and slept til noon… well, until 10 am anyway. 😉🙃 It was awesome… but we weren’t using G+ those days, nor were we worried about any must-do’s at that point.

So, I can definitely understand the desire to sleep in on vacation. I think a great many people would rather sleep in on vacation; but somewhere along the line a Disney vacation became the exception to the rule. Suddenly, all the ‘cool kids‘ are rope-droppers. And the rest of us ‘lazy bones‘ are at a disadvantage. Because of its start time, G+ is the total antithesis of a relaxing vacation to me— as is the 7 am VQ race. Whoever decided that 7 am is a perfect time to force strongly pressure guests to start their Disney vacation days, should be taken to IASW and have their butt forever glued to the seat of a boat. 🤣

So, I can definitely understand the desire to sleep in on vacation. I think a great many people would rather sleep in on vacation; but somewhere along the line a Disney vacation became the exception to the rule. Suddenly, all the ‘cool kids‘ are rope-droppers. And the rest of us ‘lazy bones‘ are at a disadvantage. Because of its start time, G+ is the total antithesis of a relaxing vacation to me— as is the 7 am VQ race. Whoever decided that 7 am is a perfect time to force strongly pressure guests to start their Disney vacation days, should be taken to IASW and have their butt forever glued to the seat of a boat. 🤣
They can easily make the first Genie+ and the 2 LLI$ Bookable at 7 am 15 days before the start of your trip each day at a time (so no one booking longer trips has an advantage.). So those 7 days would be miserable but you can rest on vacation .

They can easily make the first Genie+ and the 2 LLI$ Bookable at 7 am 15 days before the start of your trip each day at a time (so no one booking longer trips has an advantage.). So those 7 days would be miserable but you can rest on vacation .

They could do it 9PM for anyone staying on site. I get they don't want to commit to broken rides, but one day seems like enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter