• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if Wonder can't dock at PC?

Gonecruisin

novice
Tropical Storm Fay.

OK I have officially started to stress out.

I fly into MCO in 8/21 for the 3 night Wonder leaving same day.
I am trying to head off any airline probs but I have just learned that the port can be changed, too if the weather is too bad. So I risk getting my family to MCO only to be told the cruise is leaving from Miami????

Has this ever happened?
Is this storm so bad that there is a real risk of a port change?

Up here in Boston, Fay is only getting brief coverage and the lack of info is killing me.

I need reassurance........ Thanks

Watch the weather channel, they have non-stop coverage of Faye at this point. ;)

I haven't seen the ship LEAVE from a different port. Yes, they can decide not to dock a CC. You will just stay at sea or go to Nassau.

I would be more concerned with cancelled flights than cancelled ports.

Others have mentioned that if the ship cannot dock at Port Canaveral, it will dock at Port Everglades. The following post gives some additional insight. It appears DCL will still supply the transportation to that port as well. I believe they also mentioned Fay would be there and possibly gone by Wednsesday.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1925000

Actually, they did come into and leave from Fort Lauderdale a year or 2 ago. As of now, they are saying strong TS to mild hurricane when it hits the coast. The curve is changing so sharply every 12 hours, that it is hard to say where it will be come Wed. (2 days ago it was going through the panhandle, last night directly through Orlando, and today directly through Port Canaveral.) They are predicting it to be a heavy rain event, up to 10 inches, so air travel could be affected, and car travel will be harder. But it really is a watch and wait situation at this time. Bestt of luck!

http://www.crownweather.com/fay.html

Well... I thought it was Fort Lauderdale... but I stand corrected by those actually on the ship. LOL

Greetings from Central FL! We live about 30 miles from the Port, but moved from Boston (south shore) last year!

Yes, cruises have been diverted to the Port Everglades terminal down south due to weather. I believe the last time this happened was the crazy hurricane season in the fall of '04. I don't think even DCL knows at this point if they can dock in Port Canaveral on Thursday or not.

The storm's track is constantly shifting. It's moving slower than expected and thankfully, has not developed into a hurricane. In this area, we are projected to bear the brunt of the storm in the early morning hours tomorrow and our kids are off from school today and tomorrow - they just started yesterday! It is expected to head out to sea just below the port tomorrow and head up and back inland around Jacksonville Thursday morning, possibly as a tropical depression by then. Hard to say if that will affect the port enough.

Try one of our local tv station's sites for updated info: wesh.com
Also, I'm finding hurricane.accuweather.com helpful for their Hurricane Tracker.

Good Luck and happy sails! We went through this wait-and-see game in Sept 04, cruising in between hurricanes Ivan and Frances (and we missed Castaway). I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Back in September of 2004 during Hurricane Jeanne, we docked & disembarked in Fort Lauderdale. DCL bussed everyone to MCO, WDW, FLL, etc. I believe they also bussed everyone down from Port Canaveral to Fort Lauderdale for the next cruise. We had been on a 3 night cruise & it ended up turning into a 4 nighter - we were diverted to Cozumel & we missed CC.

WOW I had NO idea they would divert to FLL. Learn something new every day. :thumbsup2

Well I guess it makes sense. Thanks! I hope to be arriving and leaving from PC in a few weeks. ;)

Thanks everyone.:flower3:

I feel a little better. Still stressing but that'll probably be the case until I set foot on the boat.

I'll just keep repeating "It's just rain.... It's just rain...."

Ugghhh .. why did I book a cruise?

Ugghhh .. why did I book a cruise?

:grouphug: Awww..... keep smiling. You booked a cruise, and a DCL cruise, because it's the best vacation ever. Even if your cruise gets a bit "adjusted" you'll still have a great time. A day on "the Mickey Boat" beats a day anywhere else! The good news is that there has been no reported damage to any of your ports so your itinerary shouldn't change.

BTW, from another thread, Port Canaveral is closing down, expecting to reopen 8am Thursday. Based on that, your boarding time might be adjusted but you should still sail on schedule. Just focus on your airline and getting to Orlando. Once you set foot on the ground, the rest is details. DCL always does everything it can to stay on schedule, or as close to it as possible.

Faith, Trust and a little Pixie Dust!:wizard:

Right now Port Canaveral area is under some severe tornado warnings. Last night the Coast Guard was forcing a large carrier ship to leave the port and the news said a cruise ship with 2000 passengers were turned away.

Right now Port Canaveral area is under some severe tornado warnings. Last night the Coast Guard was forcing a large carrier ship to leave the port and the news said a cruise ship with 2000 passengers were turned away.

Yep. Norwegian Spirit got sent packing.

Still on as of 5pm Tuesday night when I called DCL.

Here's the last modeled wind field for Thursday at 1pm that I can find (follow here: www.tropicalstormrisk.com

Who knows if that's enough for her to get in to port, but I guess we'll see

200806N_4H.png

BOOGER!!!! :goodvibes

My fellow intrepid traveller!!!

Where are you? Did you and your family make it to FLA? I saw that some flights were cancelled today and was hoping yours wasn't one of them (not that I wanted you to fly into a hurricane... just that,.... ah, you know what I mean).

I am getting a bad feeling about this one. Can't shake the feeling that this is the perfect scenario for a ship not sailing on 8/21. The reports just keep getting worse. What storm strengthens into a hurricane over land?????

And to think, this time last week my biggest worry was jellyfish stings at CC!! :rolleyes:

Hi! We made it in to Port Canaveral.. for what that's worth :)
Our flight in was perfectly fine actually.. before anything happened, barely much rain.
We're sitting here waiting.. we'll see what happens Thursday am

I may have to start rethinking August trips.. this is our 4th one and we've never had a problem till now.. actually, we've never cruised till now either.. wonder if that has something to do with it.. hah

My first cruise, too. Whatever happened to beginner's luck??

It is seriously looking like the Wonder won't be docking at PC on 8/21. They are predicting Fay will become a cat 1 hurricane Wed evening through Thurs evening.

I think my flight will get cancelled.

I have lost all hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter