What I have learned...

1. No to split stays. Disagree. I see some of your point, but it was awesome last time we did it. At Boardwalk to make EP and HS easy, followed by the Poly for ease to MK and EP. Just left bags with bell services on our way to the parks from the boardwalk, and picked them up at the Poly for our afternoon break
2. I only need a place to sleep. Mostly agree but we're starting to spoil ourselves. We like them all from values (POP) to Mods (POR) to Deluxe (BWV and Poly) for different reasons. Renting DVC has been our way to afford deluxe. Would never pay rack rate or even discounted rates for deluxe.
3. The food is not worth the hype, most of it at least. Mostly disagree. To me, the problem is the price.(too high) Other than that, there is nowhere by us that has the level of theming in the restaurants, the general atmosphere, and just some of the unique offering (like at F&W)
4. Character meals are a one and done for me. Completely agree now, but not back in the day. When we could go with Free Dining, and the kids were little, the character meals were great. If I had to pay OOP, they are WAAAAY overrated. It only lasted a few years before we started to realize that most sit down locations had much better food where you order off the menu.
5. I wish I could have stopped more and taken everything in. Yes and no. Time is money at WDW so we try to mix it up while still getting in as many rides as possible. For us, FP+ and now G+ are indispensable to make this possible. We went in 2021 when there was no FP or G+ and swore never to return unless they offered it again.
6. Next time I will book more off days for pool days or resort hops. Nah, between sleeping in and afternoon breaks thanks to G+ or FP, we're refreshed plenty, even for our more typical 8-10 night stays.
7. Ubering to the park is totally worth it. Never had a problem with Disney transportation, or just walking. We may have shied away because we need Uber X with the size of our family and that starts to add up.
8. Leaving a park mid-day for a break with the intention of coming back in the evening never works for me. We used to be park open to close people, and as the kids have grown (now 21, 19 and 16) we take an afternoon break every single day. Typically from about 1-4pm. Just enough to nap if needed or just chill and get energy back. We do close the parks every single night.

Now that I am a professional Disney attendee and planner I know what works and what doesn't work for me and my family. I wanted to share and this is just my own opinion.
What are some of your hindsight lessons?

1. Avoid a split stay. I wasted half a day packing, checking out and checking back into my new resort. I didn't want to leave valuables with Bell Services so I stayed with a few of my belongings and waited at the new resort for our room. Also, a split stays counts as 2 reservations which affects your 60+ day dining reservation. Never again.
2. I only need a place to sleep. I admit I'm high maintenance and I love the finer things in life; including hotels. Not the case on a Disney vacation. A stay at the Poly was once on my bucket list, but for the same cost I would much rather stay at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. It's AoA forever for me.
3. The food is not worth the hype, most of it at least. I was incredibly disappointed with most of the things we ate and nothing blew me away. Looking at you: cinnamon bun at Gaston's, Dole Whip, corn dog nuggets, brioche ice cream, just to name a few. Shout out to Docking Bay 7, Skipper Canteen, that cheeseburger pod place in AK, and Skool Bread because that was tasty.
4. Character meals are a one and done for me. We started off the trip with breakfast at Topolino's, the food was ok and I felt like we paid $500 for the characters.
5. I wish I could have stopped more and taken everything in. I was in an intense go mode for the entire trip. Next time I'm going to try to remember to sit down, stop, and take it all in.
6. Next time I will book more off days for pool days or resort hops.
7. Ubering to the park is totally worth it. Note for self - call Uber 20 minutes before I want to leave in the morning.
8. Leaving a park mid-day for a break with the intention of coming back in the evening never works for me. Once I'm in bed with my bra off, I'm done and it's impossible to get motivated to go back. Coffee and an indoor show is the answer.
Everyone is definitely different, probably based in part on “where you are in life.” —> Novice vs veteran; kids vs just adults; solo vs group; etc.

We love split-stays, unless we are staying less than 5 nights. You just have to be more organized and it helps that we have a car. Stop at the next resort, drop off luggage, usually stop at the front desk to say “hey, we are here”, and go do something else while waiting for the room. It fun to switch from the MK resorts to the Epcot resorts; go to SSR/OKW to be close to Disney Springs; or hang out with animals at AKL.

As DVC members, we primary stay in one bedrooms. Love being on-site and having the extra room, kitchen, laundry, separate living area. Before purchasing DVC, we went to conferences at WDW and had a stipend from my husband’s company. Not only did we get discounted rates to stay at the deluxe hotels, part of the trip was paid for. We called it the Doctor’s Vacation Club. 😂 We still do it, but put the money towards the rental car, plane tickets, and food.

IKD, I enjoy trying new food, snacks, and restaurant. Some I like and sometimes never go back. We usually only have 1-2 ADR and graze on QS.

As AP holders, we have more flexibility in visiting the parks and don’t use Genie+. We tend to spend more time at the resort and wander over to the parks around 5p. If we are close to a park, we will walk over in the morning and get a coffee at Starbucks. Lots and lots of steps on our vacations.

Now that I am a professional Disney attendee and planner I know what works and what doesn't work for me and my family. I wanted to share and this is just my own opinion.

1. Avoid a split stay. I wasted half a day packing, checking out and checking back into my new resort. I didn't want to leave valuables with Bell Services so I stayed with a few of my belongings and waited at the new resort for our room. Also, a split stays counts as 2 reservations which affects your 60+ day dining reservation. Never again.
2. I only need a place to sleep. I admit I'm high maintenance and I love the finer things in life; including hotels. Not the case on a Disney vacation. A stay at the Poly was once on my bucket list, but for the same cost I would much rather stay at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. It's AoA forever for me.
3. The food is not worth the hype, most of it at least. I was incredibly disappointed with most of the things we ate and nothing blew me away. Looking at you: cinnamon bun at Gaston's, Dole Whip, corn dog nuggets, brioche ice cream, just to name a few. Shout out to Docking Bay 7, Skipper Canteen, that cheeseburger pod place in AK, and Skool Bread because that was tasty.
4. Character meals are a one and done for me. We started off the trip with breakfast at Topolino's, the food was ok and I felt like we paid $500 for the characters.
5. I wish I could have stopped more and taken everything in. I was in an intense go mode for the entire trip. Next time I'm going to try to remember to sit down, stop, and take it all in.
7. Ubering to the park is totally worth it. Note for self - call Uber 20 minutes before I want to leave in the morning.
8. Leaving a park mid-day for a break with the intention of coming back in the evening never works for me. Once I'm in bed with my bra off, I'm done and it's impossible to get motivated to go back. Coffee and an indoor show is the answer.
What's a "Professional Disney attendee"?

Everyone is definitely different, probably based in part on “where you are in life.” —> Novice vs veteran; kids vs just adults; solo vs group; etc.

We love split-stays, unless we are staying less than 5 nights. You just have to be more organized and it helps that we have a car. Stop at the next resort, drop off luggage, usually stop at the front desk to say “hey, we are here”, and go do something else while waiting for the room. It fun to switch from the MK resorts to the Epcot resorts; go to SSR/OKW to be close to Disney Springs; or hang out with animals at AKL.

As DVC members, we primary stay in one bedrooms. Love being on-site and having the extra room, kitchen, laundry, separate living area. Before purchasing DVC, we went to conferences at WDW and had a stipend from my husband’s company. Not only did we get discounted rates to stay at the deluxe hotels, part of the trip was paid for. We called it the Doctor’s Vacation Club. 😂 We still do it, but put the money towards the rental car, plane tickets, and food.

IKD, I enjoy trying new food, snacks, and restaurant. Some I like and sometimes never go back. We usually only have 1-2 ADR and graze on QS.

As AP holders, we have more flexibility in visiting the parks and don’t use Genie+. We tend to spend more time at the resort and wander over to the parks around 5p. If we are close to a park, we will walk over in the morning and get a coffee at Starbucks. Lots and lots of steps on our vacations.
You just gave me an amazing idea and I’m mad I didn’t think of it. My partner works in tech and we have used his conferences to subsidize vacations. The company pays for his flights, hotel, and there’s a generous per diem for meals. We recently went to Amsterdam and while my partner was at meetings and parties, the kids and I explored. We stayed for a few days after the conference and did some sight seeing as a family. It was lovely. Now I’m off to check for conferences in Orlando.

I think our opinions are shaped by the randomness of quality that one experiences. I’m sure some are unlucky with Disney transportation (statistically, someone has to be.) And one terrible experience could be enough to never go back. I’ve had experiences where 4 epcot busses come by while waiting for MK. It is mind numbing and extremely frustrating. But on our last trip we lucked into very little waits all week. One time we came upon a bus as it was leaving and the driver stopped again for us! Luck plays a big part in how we perceive Disney.

As for AK and Nomad Lounge: I had a completely opposite experience. We actually commented how the ribs at Nomad Lounge were both better and cheaper than the ribs we had at one of the epcot festivals (food and wine I think). But that’s randomness for you.

You just gave me an amazing idea and I’m mad I didn’t think of it. My partner works in tech and we have used his conferences to subsidize vacations. The company pays for his flights, hotel, and there’s a generous per diem for meals. We recently went to Amsterdam and while my partner was at meetings and parties, the kids and I explored. We stayed for a few days after the conference and did some sight seeing as a family. It was lovely. Now I’m off to check for conferences in Orlando.

It’s the best way to travel!

But the best trip I ever had was a 10 day trip from the end of Oct through early Nov. We got to experience Halloween and then moved into Christmas as all the parks transitioned overnight. We went to the last Halloween Party and the first Christmas Party. I am looking forward to doing another trip like that sometime.
Oh great. Now I have to put that on my bucket list. :rolleyes:

Unless you're on a strict budget, imo there's really no upside to taking a Disney bus over a Lyft.
I take Lyfts frequently around property due to credit card benefits but MK blows a TTC-sized hole in that statement tbh. Disney cracked down on people ridesharing to CR to skip it, and post-fireworks surge pricing is frequently bonkers. Even to the other parks, super early rope drops of the sort I like to make are a bit difficult with rideshare, sometimes it takes a while to find a ride because they're just not as abundant around property that time of morning compared to midday. And god help you if you get a new driver and you're going to Disney Springs. I've had so many bad experiences with the latter that going to DS is the one time I regularly spring for Minnie Vans over regular Lyft. Rideshares are also a nonstarter for people with multiple car seat aged kids also, unless they're doing Minnie Vans. Don't get me wrong, like I said I do take Lyfts a lot and find them very convenient, but they're not without their own problems at times.

Honestly, I'm with @snikki in that I don't have issues taking the buses because I come from an area where public transportation is abundant and the things people complain about are no big deal to me, even on vacation. Folks who complain about Disney buses never dealt with the MTA. Funny enough when I stayed at CSR, probably the resort where people complain the most about the bus service, I actually ended up taking Lyft the least of any trip--just once actually, on arrival night, when my flight was delayed and I didn't get off DME until 8 something when Epcot closed at 9 and I wanted to see the fireworks. Other than that, I took buses the whole time and enjoyed it. Only getting back from MK after fireworks on July 4th was bad but the surge pricing that night was pure comedy.

I take Lyfts frequently around property due to credit card benefits but MK blows a TTC-sized hole in that statement tbh. Disney cracked down on people ridesharing to CR to skip it

We booked an ADR breakfast at CR, ubered to CR, had breakfast, and walked over to MK.

Granted, we didn't like MK, so it's been a couple years since we did it. But it's definitely much better than the buses.

We booked an ADR breakfast at CR, ubered to CR, had breakfast, and walked over to MK.

Granted, we didn't like MK, so it's been a couple years since we did it. But it's definitely much better than the buses.
If I have an ADR booked, ride share to Contemporary is not a problem.

If I try to ride share to Contemporary without one in order to skip the TTC and walk over, I might have a problem.

If I have an ADR booked, ride share to Contemporary is not a problem.

If I try to ride share to Contemporary without one in order to skip the TTC and walk over, I might have a problem.
Yes, ride shares cannot enter the Contemporary without a dining reservation. You will need to take the ride share to TTC.

Last edited:

....I totes get that 'bra thing'....popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter