What has been your experience??

pmurphy713

<font color=purple>Will miss the Gourmet Pantry...
Hello all Disers! I have a questions that I would like some advice on. My DH and I are flying into MCO in November for a week long stay at the Boardwalk. We have used several modes of transportation before to get there, but would like to see others opinions. We have used Tiffany Towncar several times, but it is a bit pricey. However, we've always had a great experience. We have used DME before, but not a huge fan. We like to be at the resort sooner than what we usually get there. What has been your experience with wait times lately? How many stops does it make before getting to BWV?

Next question. Have you ever used an Uber/Lyft service to get to your resort? How was your experience? Are they prompt? How long does it take to get a Lyft/Uber? Where do you meet them?

Looking for advice/suggestions. Would appreciate both your good and bad experiences with any mode of transportation.

Can't wait till November!

Next question. Have you ever used an Uber/Lyft service to get to your resort? How was your experience? Are they prompt? How long does it take to get a Lyft/Uber? Where do you meet them?
We took Lyft from MCO to the Swan, worked great. No issues for us at all. Ran right about $30 plus tip. Pick up takes place at Arrivals, level 2. Ride.guru says; After getting off a flight, follow the signs to "Ground Transportation" and "Baggage Claim." When ready, walk outside and look for "Passenger Pickups" or a designated area labeled, "TNC/Rideshares."

We took Lyft from MCO to the Swan, worked great. No issues for us at all. Ran right about $30 plus tip. Pick up takes place at Arrivals, level 2. Ride.guru says; After getting off a flight, follow the signs to "Ground Transportation" and "Baggage Claim." When ready, walk outside and look for "Passenger Pickups" or a designated area labeled, "TNC/Rideshares."

Thank you so much, Steve!

We have used DME from MCO to the Boardwalk many times. The bus usually has made one stop prior to arriving at BWV. The longer delay might be waiting for the next bus departure from MCO to the resort. We’ve had wait times from zero to about 20 minutes queued inside the terminal and up to 10 more minutes once loaded onto the bus waiting for all luggage and passengers to be loaded. We plan on 90 minutes total from exiting the plane at the arrival gate to resort arrival on the DME bus and are happy if we happen to arrive earlier than this. If an earlier arrival is desired, Uber or Lyft might be the way to go. We have not used ride share from the airport, but have used it multiple times within WDW and also from to/from other airports. We have been quite satisfied with the service and prices.

We have used DME from MCO to the Boardwalk many times. The bus usually has made one stop prior to arriving at BWV. The longer delay might be waiting for the next bus departure from MCO to the resort. We’ve had wait times from zero to about 20 minutes queued inside the terminal and up to 10 more minutes once loaded onto the bus waiting for all luggage and passengers to be loaded. We plan on 90 minutes total from exiting the plane at the arrival gate to resort arrival on the DME bus and are happy if we happen to arrive earlier than this. If an earlier arrival is desired, Uber or Lyft might be the way to go. We have not used ride share from the airport, but have used it multiple times within WDW and also from to/from other airports. We have been quite satisfied with the service and prices.
Thank you so much for your help! We still haven't decided what we want to do yet, but it kinda sounds like waiting for DME is a loooonnnnngggg wait sometimes!

Next question. Have you ever used an Uber/Lyft service to get to your resort? How was your experience? Are they prompt?
To answer the promptness part of your question, Uber and Lyft drivers are waiting in a staging lot nearby, so you will not have a situation where nobody is available. I think most folks report <10 minutes from ordering to pickup.

Be sure NOT to order until you are in the pickup area, with your luggage, and ready to get in the car. Ordering from anywhere else is likely to complicate pickup and will probably cost you a cancellation fee.

Another option is Disney's MinnieVan, but the fare is $150.

We have used DME before, but not a huge fan. We like to be at the resort sooner than what we usually get there. What has been your experience with wait times lately? How many stops does it make before getting to BWV?
Its always been my understanding that the DME buses can and will vary based on need. We've stayed at CSR several times and sometimes we've been the first stop and sometimes we have been the last stop. It just depends on time of day, arrivals, etc.

Regardless of the mode of transportation, its still about a 30 minute commute from the airport. By using a service other than DME, it would save about an hour, give or take. But by the time you factor in getting your own luggage from the carousel and making your way to the pickup area, you can probably subtract 20 minutes from your time savings. So, you have to decide if schlepping your own luggage and paying for your transportation is worth saving roughly 45 minutes.

When you request a ride from uber/lyft, you "drop a pin" on a map using your GPS location on a map. Some airports will force the pin to the designated pick up area so you can't get picked up anywhere else. I haven't used either at MCO, so I don't know if they are one of the airports that does that.

Once nice thing is that the price of a rideshare, unlike a cab, remains the same as what you accepted when requesting the ride, even if you hit traffic.

To answer the promptness part of your question, Uber and Lyft drivers are waiting in a staging lot nearby, so you will not have a situation where nobody is available. I think most folks report <10 minutes from ordering to pickup.

Be sure NOT to order until you are in the pickup area, with your luggage, and ready to get in the car. Ordering from anywhere else is likely to complicate pickup and will probably cost you a cancellation fee.

Another option is Disney's MinnieVan, but the fare is $150.
I wasn't aware of that. Thank you so much for that tip!
I sincerely think Minnie Van's, although very cute, are out of our price range.

Its always been my understanding that the DME buses can and will vary based on need. We've stayed at CSR several times and sometimes we've been the first stop and sometimes we have been the last stop. It just depends on time of day, arrivals, etc.

Regardless of the mode of transportation, its still about a 30 minute commute from the airport. By using a service other than DME, it would save about an hour, give or take. But by the time you factor in getting your own luggage from the carousel and making your way to the pickup area, you can probably subtract 20 minutes from your time savings. So, you have to decide if schlepping your own luggage and paying for your transportation is worth saving roughly 45 minutes.

I think you are right. That's what's going to have to be the deciding factor. Time vs money vs do it yourself. Thank you for you opinion.

When you request a ride from uber/lyft, you "drop a pin" on a map using your GPS location on a map. Some airports will force the pin to the designated pick up area so you can't get picked up anywhere else. I haven't used either at MCO, so I don't know if they are one of the airports that does that.

Once nice thing is that the price of a rideshare, unlike a cab, remains the same as what you accepted when requesting the ride, even if you hit traffic.

That's a great point. I do like the thought that we can actually budget ahead and figure out how much this is going to cost even before we get there.

DME is already budgeted into our WDW trip (translation: we already paid for it when we opted to stay at a Disney resort, LOL) so when possible that's what we use. I find the bus ride a nice respite from the stress of air travel and all it entails. When we stay at BWI, I think it's the first stop on the bus so that's simple enough as well. Sometimes we take Amtrak to FL and I'm always sad that at the end of the ride we have to take a taxi and spend 50 bucks to get to our hotel but that's a trade off as well since we find the train ride more enjoyable than the plane.

Have fun making your decision.

In May we took Uber from MCO to Universal Cabana Bay. Next day we took Uber to Saratoga Springs. Following several days we took Uber about 4-6 times, and took it back to MCO when we left.
Super easy, super quick and not a budget buster for us. I'd guess we spent less than $150 on all the rides? Maybe a bit more - given how fast we were able to get to where we were headed it was WELL worth it.

DME is already budgeted into our WDW trip (translation: we already paid for it when we opted to stay at a Disney resort, LOL) so when possible that's what we use. I find the bus ride a nice respite from the stress of air travel and all it entails. When we stay at BWI, I think it's the first stop on the bus so that's simple enough as well. Sometimes we take Amtrak to FL and I'm always sad that at the end of the ride we have to take a taxi and spend 50 bucks to get to our hotel but that's a trade off as well since we find the train ride more enjoyable than the plane.

Have fun making your decision.

We would LOVE to be able to ride the train to Florida. But, alas, Amtrak discontinued service to Mobile several years ago never reinstated it.

Thank you!

In May we took Uber from MCO to Universal Cabana Bay. Next day we took Uber to Saratoga Springs. Following several days we took Uber about 4-6 times, and took it back to MCO when we left.
Super easy, super quick and not a budget buster for us. I'd guess we spent less than $150 on all the rides? Maybe a bit more - given how fast we were able to get to where we were headed it was WELL worth it.

Thank you! I'm thinking the same thing. Not really a budget buster, but still very economic time wise for us. The most important thing is to be at the resort and spend every minute we have soaking up the atmosphere at the Happiest Place on Earth!

do like the thought that we can actually budget ahead and figure out how much this is going to cost even before we get there.

Keep in mind that if you price a ride now (weekday during rush hour), it might give you a very different estimate than on, say, a Sunday night. But if you get a price quote on the same day/time as you plan to ride, it *should* be pretty similar. But your price quote takes into account the traffic at that very moment.

We took Magical Express to the resort but ubered back to the airport.

Our only issue with Uber was that the trunk of the uber car was filled with greasy tools and was not thrilled with putting our luggage there but there was no room in the passenger area.

Another thought- look at the price of rental cars. Then you have it when you want it and can use it to drive from Boardwalk to other theme parks and not wait for Disney buses . That can save waiting for their buses at the resort and at the end of the day, at the theme park. One issue now is that Disney will charge you to park your car in their parking lot at the resort - totally unfair and awful but they own the ground! You would have to compare the cost of the rental, the daily parking fee at the resort, and the tolls to get to WDW. Good luck.

On our last trip on DME, I was annoyed because three buses left for the All-Star resorts while not one left to take us to Kidani. I know the All-Stars accommodate a large volume of people, but the people going there were walking onto a bus instantly while the AKV line was huge.

We are going to WL. Is that closer to the "last stop" on the ME route? Also how do you know which bus to get on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter