What happens when child turns 10 during trip?

aripantaloon

DIS Veteran
We've been going every 2 years to Disney and plan to do that until we tire of it. Oldest DD and I were just talking and she said that the next time she goes she'll be 8 and the time after, she'll be 10. I commented that we should time our next trip when she's still 9 so we don't have to pay adult prices, but she asked if we could spend her birthday in Disney. I'm sure that someone out there has done it, so what age does Disney consider them to be for purposes of determining whether they are adults or kids for ticket prices and dining plan prices? I highly doubt that we would actually go for her birthday since it falls during President's Day week and that's always so busy, but I like to be armed with the facts before making decisions.

If she is 9 when you check in then she is at child prices the entire trip.

It's the same policy with 2 vs 3 yr old.

The age at check-in is the age you are for your whole trip, regardless of birthday.

Disney doesn't punish you for spending your money... I mean... birthday, in the parks.

Thank you! That's good to know. Timing is everything. Now I have to find out if that's the case for airlines, too. The baby's birthday is in May and she could turn 2 during our trip next year. If we have her as a lap baby, I don't want to run into issues if she turns 2 before our return trip.

What happens when a kid turns 10 during your trip? You get LOTS of cupcakes!!!:love:

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #9, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature.

Oh, I would be interested in what you find out from the airline. We will be in the same boat of traveling down with a 2 year old and returning with a 3 year old for our next trip!

Thanks so much for the link!

Cab - your comment made me laugh! Yep, definitely lots of cupcakes! Our last trip was just after both of our girls' birthdays, so we told CRT that we were celebrating both. They got cute cupcakes AND their regular desserts. We let them eat some of both, but were thankful that we didn't tell each and every sit down place that we were celebrating since that would have been way, way too much!

Thank you! That's good to know. Timing is everything. Now I have to find out if that's the case for airlines, too. The baby's birthday is in May and she could turn 2 during our trip next year. If we have her as a lap baby, I don't want to run into issues if she turns 2 before our return trip.

The airlines don't operate like Disney. They are subject to FAA regulations and a child that is 2 must have a ticketed seat. If your child turns two during your trip, you must purchase a ticket at least for the return flight. I'd recommend purchasing a round trip ticket as it is safer for a child to be flying in their own seat in a carseat approved for airline travel than it is to be traveling as a lap child.

We've been going every 2 years to Disney and plan to do that until we tire of it. Oldest DD and I were just talking and she said that the next time she goes she'll be 8 and the time after, she'll be 10. I commented that we should time our next trip when she's still 9 so we don't have to pay adult prices, but she asked if we could spend her birthday in Disney. I'm sure that someone out there has done it, so what age does Disney consider them to be for purposes of determining whether they are adults or kids for ticket prices and dining plan prices? I highly doubt that we would actually go for her birthday since it falls during President's Day week and that's always so busy, but I like to be armed with the facts before making decisions.

10 and up is Adult price. In my opinion I think Disney should have 3 levels for pricing. Kid/Tween/Adult, this should also go with the dining plan too. Outrageous that they have to pay full price .

Oh, I would be interested in what you find out from the airline. We will be in the same boat of traveling down with a 2 year old and returning with a 3 year old for our next trip!

Your child will need a seat for both trips. a lap child is a child UNDER 2. Not 2 and under.

10 and up is Adult price. In my opinion I think Disney should have 3 levels for pricing. Kid/Tween/Adult, this should also go with the dining plan too. Outrageous that they have to pay full price .

That really depends on the kid in question. My nephew has been able to eat more than me, probably from the age of 8. I still can barely eat anything at breakfast and today I watched him practically inhale 3 pancakes, 2 scrambled eggs and bacon. While I ate about 1 1/2 pancakes. He is now 19 though.;)

I don't think there is an age cut off that everyone would consider fair. the great thing is, you don't HAVE to get the dining plan if it doesn't work for your family. The only time we get it is when we plan on doing a lot of character meals. I still don't eat enough to justify the cost though.

Ok, I read Cheshire Figment's link (as well as this thread), and I have a question that could result in $300 in savings (so I'd like to know the answer).

We're going for 11 days. On day 2, my daughter turns 3. We've paid (as part of a package) for her ticket. Should we have paid for her ticket?

I understand the whole "9 yo turning 10 yo" during the trip because, technically, that person has a ticket already (albeit a child's ticket). I can't imagine Disney looking at a precocious 3-year old letting everyone in sight know that she's 3 and letting her get in the parks over the next 10 days without a ticket. It seems like it'd be just as easy for them to direct me to purchase a ticket for her (since she didn't technically have or need a ticket on Day 1).

Has anyone actually done this where they were honest with Disney that the child was 3, and Disney still said, "well, this isn't your 1st day here (as a family) so she gets in free as an infant for the remainder of your trip even if she is 3"?

Ok, I read Cheshire Figment's link (as well as this thread), and I have a question that could result in $300 in savings (so I'd like to know the answer).

We're going for 11 days. On day 2, my daughter turns 3. We've paid (as part of a package) for her ticket. Should we have paid for her ticket?

I understand the whole "9 yo turning 10 yo" during the trip because, technically, that person has a ticket already (albeit a child's ticket). I can't imagine Disney looking at a precocious 3-year old letting everyone in sight know that she's 3 and letting her get in the parks over the next 10 days without a ticket. It seems like it'd be just as easy for them to direct me to purchase a ticket for her (since she didn't technically have or need a ticket on Day 1).

Has anyone actually done this where they were honest with Disney that the child was 3, and Disney still said, "well, this isn't your 1st day here (as a family) so she gets in free as an infant for the remainder of your trip even if she is 3"?

It works the same way for a child turning 3 during a trip as a child turning 10 during a trip. The age on the day they check in is the age that is used for the entire trip. So your 2yo will go by the 2yo rules for your entire trip, even though she turns 3 on day 2. You don't need a ticket for her, and she can eat for free in buffet and family service restaurants for the entire trip.

It works the same way for a child turning 3 during a trip as a child turning 10 during a trip. The age on the day they check in is the age that is used for the entire trip. So your 2yo will go by the 2yo rules for your entire trip, even though she turns 3 on day 2. You don't need a ticket for her, and she can eat for free in buffet and family service restaurants for the entire trip.

Cool!

Now the question is, "Will Disney credit my credit card for the difference in my package price with my daughter counting as a 2yo compared to a 3yo?"

I would suggest calling reservations and informing them that she will turn three the day after you arrive and check in. This will change her status from "child" to "infant". She will not need a ticket or dining plan on the trip. When you check in, the KTTW for her will say "infant" on it.

Just have her wear her Birthday Button daily, and she can proudly tell everyone "I just turned three".

Just wanted to post an update that my wife called Disney today, explained to them that my daughter would be turning 3 on Day 2 of our 11-day September vacation, and we now have about a $300 refund headed our way! :cool1:

She won't have a dining plan obviously, but we can work around that pretty easily.

Thanks to Cheshire Figment and others here for the hookup!

The same thing happened to us. My DD was still 3 when we booked and was not turning 4 until during our trip. I was worried I had received the wrong information from a castmember and called to talk to another just to be SURE!
I was also pleasantly surprised to realize we had purchased our APs last year the month before my son's birthday and it counts when we get them renewed for one more year :)

From my experience they treat each leg seperatly. On a past trip on our way down to Florida we left our folder on the plane with DD's Birth Certificate in it. On our way back they gave me a really hard time about not having it with me even though we flew down with her as a lap baby. She was only 6 months old so it didn't take a rocket scientist to see she was under 2 but they did say the could make me buy a ticket.

After that we have had to show the Birth Certificate on the way there and back to show she was under the age limit for a lap child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter