What happened to the Disney picture of the day thread

senecabeach

Have a Disney Day !!!
It seems that the POTD (picture of the day) thread is missing this AM.
I know its a HHUUGGEE file...maybe a MOD is working on it ??? :confused3

HELP MODs........ :surfweb:

I just went to my email to access the picture of the thread thru email notification, when I did, i received a message that I was not authorized to access the thread. Do to the size, it may have been shut down, hence the reason for the slow down of the board problems, things are really running so slow.

Oh no............all those beautiful pictures!!

This was posted mid-day yesterday. It will answer your question/concern.

From Webmaster Alex:

We need to evaluate the effect the "long threads" are having on board performance. In order to do that we will be "hiding" the long threads for 24 hours. They will come back so no need to panic.

I will be shutting the boards down around 11pm to move the threads around and make some other changes.

If you are a participant in one of these threads please feel free to start another thread tomorrow.

A long thread will be over 10,000 posts for the purpose of this experiment

Alex
_______

The information we got (see this thread) was that the long threads would be the ones affected, but it may have extended into the ones with lots of data too. I'm not sure.
The threads that Alex was looking at were not deleted, just hidden so that no one would be able to open them except Alex while he does his tests.
So, don't worry. The picture thread should be back.

deleted.

I see that old one will be coming back

YEAH!!!!!

Please note that for today an experiment is being conducted to judge the affect that 'long' threads, those with over 10,000 posts, have on the boards.

All very long threads, including such things as picture of the day and so forth have been hidden from view and cannot be accessed today.

After the experiment is over they should be returning.

For more info.. see here..

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1698419

Anybody who reads this feel free to post to it to bump it up.

THANK YOU FOR WHATEVER YOU DID. The difference is amazing. Enjoyable surfing this morning. :worship:

As a side note, my experience Adminning a VB board, high post count threads significantly slow board performance. Archiving The long threads preserve the information, and make it accessible to members. A monthly or bi-monthly look at the large threads and archiving them prior to the "slow down" worked for us. *shrug* But the DIS is huge....

The Webmasters have hidden VERY LONG threads.. that is to say threads with more than 10,000 posts in them.. These threads were potentially slowing down the boards.

I know things seem a lot better this morning so this theory may hold some water. Time will tell as the day goes on..

Knox

It does seem faster, but can the threads return as "sticky" threads? Or will that still slow things down? I belonged to a very long thread, and I miss it!!

Wouldn't hurt my feelings to just start a new POTD thread. It'll be up to 10K posts within a couple of weeks! There's some absolutely fabulous stuff on the old thread though. It would be nice to be able to access it... maybe by just adding a link in the first post of a new thread or something.

This is faster. I was getting annoyed yesterday thinking it was just my computer.

ITA that it is faster this morning. It has been so frustrating over the last week when things have been soooo slllllooooowwww...
Happy Friday everyone and BUMP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter