What food/cuisine does Disney need, or need improved?

I would like to see some TS restaurants that are child-free after a certain hour at night. Not all of them, but maybe two or three restaurants each night, and rotate which restaurants are child-free.

The Rose and Crown needs improving in Epcot, as does (a little) Tutto Italia. The food certainly isn't authentic at Rose and Crown and it would be nice if they made all the restaurants in WS as authentic as possible without being... Adventurous.

I'd like to see more dining options at SSR as it is one of our favourite resorts yet so often overlooked! There is only one TS restaurant at SSR and I think a character meal would be great at putting it on the map so to speak.

DHS could have some better options. The food at Sci Fi Dine In is terrible in our experience! Mama Melrose is cute, but there should be some more options IMO. We usually go over to the boardwalk for lunch instead.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

See, THAT is what I'm talking about! I see that you are from the UK, so you know that Rose and Crown is NOT authentic. The imagineers should research a bit better the cuisine they represent and at least do a better interpretation of that food. How about the fish and chips? Are they authentic because I LOVE it!

We are DVC and stayed at SSR once but didn't return partly because of the dining options! I think I read when they came up with the concept of the resort that they figured people would go to Downtown for their dining, but we felt like the boat ride was not very convenient to DD. I also hear they may put in a walkway from SSR to DD when they redo DD into Disney Springs, correct me if I am wrong. That might help "put SSR on the map" as you say.

I did not have a good dining experience at Sci-Fi either, sadly because it is such a GREAT idea! The food was bad and it was like 0 degrees in there and I was shivering the whole time.

Honestly I just feel like with all the resources Disney has...all the great, smart, talented, creative people that work there, there is no reason for the food to be BAD!!!:sad2:

There are no Indian restaurants in WDW. I'd like to see an Indian restaurant... It is a very famous country after all with amazing food.

The Rose and Crown needs improving in Epcot, as does (a little) Tutto Italia. The food certainly isn't authentic at Rose and Crown and it would be nice if they made all the restaurants in WS as authentic as possible without being... Adventurous.

I'd like to see more dining options at AK as there are only three TS restaurants presently! None of them we are that keen on.

I'd like to see more dining options at SSR as it is one of our favourite resorts yet so often overlooked! There is only one TS restaurant at SSR and I think a character meal would be great at putting it on the map so to speak.

DHS could have some better options. The food at Sci Fi Dine In is terrible in our experience! Mama Melrose is cute, but there should be some more options IMO. We usually go over to the boardwalk for lunch instead.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

As an owner at SSR, I would NOT like to see character dining there...ever! We like it being quiet and with its proximity to DTD there are plenty or dining options. That's just how we feel and I'm sure there are others on both sides.

And yes, they are building a bridge from SSR to DTD but you can already walk from SSR to DTD pretty easily!

See, THAT is what I'm talking about! I see that you are from the UK, so you know that Rose and Crown is NOT authentic. The imagineers should research a bit better the cuisine they represent and at least do a better interpretation of that food. How about the fish and chips? Are they authentic because I LOVE it!

We are DVC and stayed at SSR once but didn't return partly because of the dining options! I think I read when they came up with the concept of the resort that they figured people would go to Downtown for their dining, but we felt like the boat ride was not very convenient to DD. I also hear they may put in a walkway from SSR to DD when they redo DD into Disney Springs, correct me if I am wrong. That might help "put SSR on the map" as you say.

I did not have a good dining experience at Sci-Fi either, sadly because it is such a GREAT idea! The food was bad and it was like 0 degrees in there and I was shivering the whole time.

Honestly I just feel like with all the resources Disney has...all the great, smart, talented, creative people that work there, there is no reason for the food to be BAD!!!:sad2:

The Artist's Palette at SSR is a VERY nice quick-service grill restaurant, and makes a very tasty breakfast (esp. the omelet breakfasts!)

The broader problem with SSR is that no matter what you may add for a restaurant, the place is so s-p-r-a-w-l-i-n-g-l-y huge that its always likely to be an effort to get there. Yes, "officially," SSR is just a walk away from DTD, but that walk can be (relatively) short or a sizable hike depending on whether you're staying at Congress Park or the Carousel. To say only that it's "a walk" away is kinda ignoring the elephant in the room.

Now, please understand that my family really enjoys SSR, and we're staying there again this summer, so the dining issue isn't that much of an issue for us..

An all-breakfast all-day option would be awesome. My kids used to love what my wife called "night breakfast."

The Artist's Palette at SSR is a VERY nice quick-service grill restaurant, and makes a very tasty breakfast (esp. the omelet breakfasts!)

The broader problem with SSR is that no matter what you may add for a restaurant, the place is so s-p-r-a-w-l-i-n-g-l-y huge that its always likely to be an effort to get there. Yes, "officially," SSR is just a walk away from DTD, but that walk can be (relatively) short or a sizable hike depending on whether you're staying at Congress Park or the Carousel. To say only that it's "a walk" away is kinda ignoring the elephant in the room.

Now, please understand that my family really enjoys SSR, and we're staying there again this summer, so the dining issue isn't that much of an issue for us..

An all-breakfast all-day option would be awesome. My kids used to love what my wife called "night breakfast."

I suppose it could be seen as a long trek but to us its just a walk and doesn't seem much further than from the bus stop at say epcot to the ws and we never stay on the congress park section.

I'm not sure that SSR was ever supposed to draw people in from the parks but rather be a respite from the hustle and bustle. If that was it they did it perfectly!

We love SSR and its always so nice to meet others who do since it gets more than its share of haters here!
Enjoy your stay this summer!

And now back to topic, I would love to see a few places get a new menu and chef that's for sure (Tonys, Rose & Crown, etc) As for totally new places another sushi place other than Kona Sushi Bar or Kimonos would be nice. I know you can get some at Tokyo Dining or Cali grill but a lunch and dinner Ts place that has really great fresh authentic sushi! A BBQ place would be nice too just not sure where it would fit....

Authentic Indian and Russian would be great:) While we are dreaming, they could build some new pavilions in WS to go with those restaurants!

I see on the menus that there are lobster and shrimp rolls at Hurricane Hanna's, but the fact they have shrimp on them suggests they're not authentic...anyone have them?

Excellent thread topic.

I have to disagree slightly, plenty of NE seafood places have shrimp on the menu. Indeed, one food that is lacking at WDW is a NE perennial- baked stuffed shrimp.

I'd also like to see real maple syrup- but that's probably wishful thinking. (esp property-wide) I hate the fake stuff! Yuck!

I agree improved pizza is a biggie. I'd even settle for a good Chicago style pizza.

I agree with the poster who says Tony's needs work. If Disney can have Via Napoli and Tutto Italia, they should be able to make Tony's better.

My biggest property wide request though has to be more fresh fruit! If they can sell fresh fruit in airports- they can sell it at Disney! Disney gives kids a bit of fresh fruit and veggies, but many adult meals only have a garnish. I'd really like to see fresh fruit offered at every CS place. Sadly, if they offer anything- it's almost always limited to: boring 'delicious' apples, boring Sunkist oranges (In America's orange capital no less! Disney serves lousy oranges shipped form California!), boring melon, rarely red grapes, rarely bananas, and very rarely at buffets- strawberries. Sorry, but EVERY buffet that charges upwards of $30 pp shoudl be ableto provide a little fresh fruit! I want to see blueberries! Strawberries! Mango! watermelon! Real Florida orange (juice)! Raspberries! Fresh tomatos!

I'd like plain Chobani-type yogurt. Again, it's at almost every airport, but not WDW!

Sanaa is Indian, but VERY watered down. It's very bland Indian. In another snese, the food there is quite good, but I agree, it would be nice to see more Indian food. I also agree with more Asian foods- even beyond Chinese and Japanese.

It would be fun it they offered a few Epcot festival foods year round. Like maybe have the former McD's fry station offer one cuisine all year for a year- that changes annually. Disney doesn't offer much in the way of Greek street food. Also offer fun Belgian foods, Polish foods, Spanish foods, African foods....

Kona Cafe once had the most fun dessert creations. Whenever we went there they always had something new, amazing and SO Disney. Some places have desserts that are very good, but many of the fanciful creations are gone. Like we once got a 'paint your own' chocolate Mickey puzzle dessert that came with a cupcake as well.

Oh....and last but not least, bring back the Mickey shaped noodles that used to offered more places!

I'd also like to see real maple syrup- but that's probably wishful thinking. (esp property-wide) I hate the fake stuff! Yuck!

Funny little thread drift. I was at a small breakfast joint in VT recently and a sign on each table read: "Real Vermont Made Syrup Served With All Orders. Artificial Table Syrup Served Upon Request For A Fee."

At the current gallon price of real maple syrup, (especially after last year's historically low production rate), I can't see WDW moving to the real thing on a property-wide basis.

I agree with Mickey Luv'r that the easiest way to get my kids to eat healthy is the fresh fruit route. It seems we (my family) really overdo it on the calories during our vacation, and every once in a while just a nice fruit and yogurt/granola should suffice.

I think overall Disney does a great job trying to please as many people as possible. (You'll never get them all, right?) Since I don't know what true authentic British or Thai cuisine tastes like, what Disney offers is good enough for me. Course I'll eat just about anything that I don't have to make...:)

There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.

But what is really trendy right now and a great way to eat is tapas-style. Plenty of à la carte little apps. It's a really nice break from the massive meat-potato entrées. Everybody around the table can share and taste plenty of food. We love this kind of dining.

As far as additions, these are my frontrunners, too. I love breakfast foods, but my stomach can't handle anything heavy before noon.

And isn't the rumored lagoon-side Moroccan restaurant going to serve tapas? I think I read that somewhere, maybe on Disney Food Blog?

I agree with most, though, that Disney should focus on quality first and foremost.

They need to do a MASSIVE overhaul at Tonys. That place is horrid.

Chef Mickeys also needs to shake things up a bit food-wise.

I agree about disney needing decent CS pizza. The "disney" pizza is so gross. A thinner crust pizza would be awesome. NY stlye is a good idea.

OhThePain said:
There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.
I loooove this idea!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE breakfast food so id be in heaven at a place like this!

I agree with so much on this thread!

I am on the Indian, Thai, Dim Sum band wagon :thumbsup2
I would add an Asian noddle duo of Pho a Korean soup and good Ramon Noodles.

Disney does a horrible job of representing American food. I would love a good Southern Restaurant, there is a nice The Princess and the Frog tie in. A place that celibates regional American BBQ, bring in someone who has won some competitions, Flame Tree is just okay to me. Improve what they have, no more soup kitchen thanksgiving, its inexhaustible not to make an iconic American meal fantastically!

Also, more non alcoholic drinks for adults. I vacationed in San Diego and all the restaurants offered fancy iced teas or juice type drinks that where great and alcohol free.

I really like the idea of a Tiana's Place restaurant like from the movie... traditional N'awlins cuisine in vintage southern jazz setting!

There also really needs to be a table-service pirate themed restaurant! (Or maybe quick-service at lunch & table-service a dinner like Be Our Guest...)

In Adventureland, of course... maybe w/ a Spanish tapas-style menu for dinner & Cuban sandwiches at lunch. Pirates & Wenches for servers, chocolate gold coins given at the end of the meal w/ your bill, & Jack Sparrow doing meets & greets in the lobby!

I really like the idea of a Tiana's Place restaurant like from the movie... traditional N'awlins cuisine in vintage southern jazz setting!

There also really needs to be a table-service pirate themed restaurant! (Or maybe quick-service at lunch & table-service a dinner like Be Our Guest...)

In Adventureland, of course... maybe w/ a Spanish tapas-style menu for dinner & Cuban sandwiches at lunch. Pirates & Wenches for servers, chocolate gold coins given at the end of the meal w/ your bill, & Jack Sparrow doing meets & greets in the lobby!

I am totally blown away by everyones ideas! Holy Cow we have creative people here!! I wanted to quote everyone!!! Tapas with Pirates and Wenches, brilliant...Tiana/ New Orleans restaurant LOVE it.

mickeyluv'r: I meant a lobster roll traditionally is just hot lobster on a buttered roll without shrimp. I agree about the fruit and real maple syrup. the idea about the EPCOT festival foods is brilliant!

That would be a great idea! It could be something like "Pajama Party With Pooh and Friends"-breakfasty things-servers in sleep pants,mimosas,etc..Something fun and different.:thumbsup2

I realize that The Garden Grill, Sunshine Seasons, and The Wave are already focused on sustainable agriculture and health, but I would like to see even more of that in the World. More organic selections and whole foods would be a very welcomed addition, IMHO!

I agree, another vote for more organic options.

There are some great ideas floating around this thread! I second the dim sum and Indian food contributions. As far as food lacking, I agree with the poster that said Disney is not that great at representing US food. I always thought it would be cool if there were a Taste of America place where you could get various items from different US Regions, like, Italian Beef, lobster rolls, BBQ, pork chile verde, etc.

I also think they are lacking the Mexican food department. I think it's all super Americanized and they could do well to amp it up a bit, especially in the spice department. Street tacos instead of the regular tacos would be a start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter