What do you carry around the parks?

What I carry depends on my traveling entourage. When my kids were younger...we carried a backpack full of everything including the kitchen sink...you name it, I took it. Camera, wipes, food/gum/water, ponchos, change of clothes, ziploc bags, towel, sunscreen, floss, etc

Now, if it is my husband and I, very little. I stick my license, credit card, chapstick, printed itinerary in one pocket, my cell phone in the other pocket and magic band on my wrist. No bag..off I go!

I go as light as possible and don't even bring a bag. There's nothing better than strolling through the parks bag free and carefree :). Phone in my pocket (with credit card and license in the case), magic band on my wrist, sunglasses on my face or hooked on my shirt. Sometimes if we're not going back to the hotel mid day I'll bring a sunscreen stick for reapplying to faces - usually my husband carries it because his pockets are bigger. My kids are 18, 14, and 11 now but I've been doing it this way for a few years and the trip is so much more pleasant when you're not lugging stuff. My rule of thumb is, does the potential benefit of having the item in case I need it offset the certain inconvenience of having to carry it around all day? The answer for me is usually no. We get free waters at counter service, buy an occasional snack to share, and go to the first aid station if we need a bandaid. I wear quick dry clothes instead of packing raincoats/umbrellas/ponchos and don't mind getting wet. Last year someone else's kid threw up all over my lap on mission space and even that wasn't as huge a deal as you might think (other than the gross factor). I just went into one of those single stall family bathrooms, locked the door, and washed my skirt in the sink and put it back on. I still maintain that walking around in a wet skirt for half an hour is better than lugging a backpack for 12 hours :). Obviously this is all personal preference and you know what your kids will need during the day, but you really can make do with less than you think and not miss it much/at all. I recommend trying a day or at least half day bag free and see how it goes.

I took my kids (10, 6, 3) to the doctor's office for a checkup yesterday and I carried my large Vera Bradley backpack with 3 ipads, 2 3DS, games, snacks, 2 coloring books, diapers, wipes, 3 water bottles and my stuff (wallet, keys, lip gloss). It felt like it weighed about 100 pounds, I don't travel light :) but I realize I won't be able to carry EVERYTHING like that for a full day at the parks. How big a bag do you carry for three kids and what do you take? (Kids will be 11, 8, and 4.5 years old at time of travel and we're planning on no stroller.) I am wondering if I take 3DS it will add extra weight but keep DS quiet in line? I need iPad, heavier than iPhone, I know, but I don't have iPhone, will use iPad for camera and Disney app and some entertainment while waiting.
So, I am going to be the big meanie here.

Unless it was a multi day appointment, I couldn't imagine taking all of that. Three ipads? Plus 2 video games? And coloring books?

I would have had the two oldest grab a book. The youngest would have had a couple of books or a couple of quiet toys. Diapers and wipes of course, but most kids can handle an hour without their own water bottle or snacks. If you live so far away that they need fed while they are out, leave the snacks in the car, and they can eat the snacks there.

For the park, there are so many things to do while there, I wouldn't bring a game system. The game I Spy doesn't take up any room. And if you are already going to have the ipad, I would just use that if you need some electronic game.

If it were up to me I'd go hands free and just have my wallet in one pocket and my cell phone in the other. But alas, I have a husband and young child...

Therefore I'll also take a small backpack with sunscreen, wet wipes, a change of clothes and small towel for DD (water rides and fountains), a ziplock of snack food, and a bottle of water (DH likes to drink constantly so 90% of the time he carries it). I'm also going to bring retractable key chains in case we don't like wearing our Magic Bands (It's our first trip with them so while I'm sure DH and I won't mind as we're used to watches, DD may not like hers. But I bought three keychains just in case). If I didn't think DD will decide the sidewalk fountain at Epcot was her own personal splash pad I wouldn't bother with the clothes or the towel, but if it's as hot as I expect it to be it's a safe bet. And SM at MK can get you pretty wet sometimes so better safe than sorry, it's a long trek back to the Swan!

We are going in late November, when my kiddos will be about the same age as yours [10, 8 & 5]. In the past when we had diapers, I felt like a sherpa carrying all of the things we needed- changes of clothes, water bottles, snacks, etc. We did take a stroller with us, so we would leave their changes of clothes in a ziplock in the bottom of the stroller, a small soft-sided cooler with fruit & sandwiches, and only carry a few small snacks, diapers, and wipes in a backpack.

This trip, since the kids will be bigger, and we are planning on renting a stroller at the park. I am planning on taking their camelbacks (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0S9GG2/ref=twister_B00PUDIJQO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1), which we already own, and buying Magic Bands from the Disney store so we don't have to fumble with getting our tickets out all of the time. That way they can carry their own water & snacks (probably a squeezy applesauce, a frozen uncrustable- which will thaw in the park, and a granola bar). I don't take any of their electronics into the park.

I'll take a small backpack with sunscreen, wipes, a small thing of meds and bandaids, a few snacks and maybe a small water bottle for DH and myself.
I'm thinking for me- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EAFCOP...lid=33I75GB2SCUHJ&coliid=I1MFL6W3JWPIUH&psc=1 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXPC07E/ref=twister_B00P7MZ8VW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (but I would take out the hydration bladder).

minoh, please don't take water, first off, it's too heavy and you can get free ice water at any
counter service....I forgot to say, I take single packs of Crystal light to flavor the water...
I disagree about a water bottle. Yes, you can get free water at QS, but that won't help you when you are walking between attractions or waiting in line...that's always when my family gets thirsty!

I carry my large Vera Bradley Backpack. This is what is in there:

Two water bottles in each of the bottle pockets (I usually have 3 in the parent console on my stroller that I bring)
Diapers, wipes and ointment in the large outer pocket
In the second outer pocket I put stuff for mama: id, lip balm, sunglasses ect

Main Opening:
ipad (only used if he is really cranky or fussy at dinner table)
Diaper changing blanket
snacks (o's or something in snack cup)
sippy cup
a toy or small trinket and a small book
a change of clothes or pj's if we will be in the parks a little later
baby banz
In the small inner pockets: anti-bac wipes, sunscreen and bug repellent

Sometimes I even fold up my baby carrier and get it in there. Not sure if I will use it much next trip when he is closer to three because he will just be too big.

When my kids were small (2 of them) we used a stroller on one day only. I wasn't worth the hassle. So - other than that one day - we took in a small backpack, my husband had his wallet and maybe a poncho or two in his pockets, and I had a small crossbody purse when they were young (in diapers young). The backpack held a few diapers, wipes, a change of clothes for whoever was in diapers and a few ziploc bags.

Since the diaper days ended - a small crossbody purse and my husbands wallet. As adults my kids generally bring tiny crossbody purses - sometimes. What's in my purse...a greatly condensed wallet, a phone, a camera, a small ziploc bag with bandaids, motrin, extra camera batteries, an extra sd card, a few hair bands, chapstick (if it is winter), possibly a small sunscreen, a comb and a couple of other items, a poncho or two if it looks like it will be necessary. That's it.

And we have survived 20+ trips with kids. The kids have grown from age 1 to age 26 during this time. We enjoy the parks without feeling like pack mules. I am amazed at what people drag along with them.

I agree with previous posters, the older 2 can carry what they want in the park. There is no way I would load myself down with all of their gadgets. If they don't want to carry it, it stays in the room. You are not the pack mule. Also, I never found the need to carry a lot of stuff to keep the kids entertained in line. We would talk about our day, play things like rock paper scissors, and eye spy. There is so much to look at in most queues that nothing else is needed.

I would only carry a bag of stuff the family needs. Things like sunblock and kleenex and maybe some advil and tums. I have a baggalini cross body bag that I love. It holds a lot and I barely notice it on my back.

I also wouldn't be so quick to plan on not having a stroller. More than likely you will need one, or will end up going at a very slow pace and taking lots of breaks. Which is fine, if that is how you like to tour. But the older kids may get frustrated with a slow pace.

I have a medium sized Vera Bradley backpack that I use when we're in the parks. I only take the basics: wallet, sunscreen, small toiletry case, and my iPhone. I use the rest of the space for any purchases that we make that day. I stopped bringing a stroller when my daughter was 4 (she's now 7) and it was a whole new sense of freedom!

We aren't bringing iPads, etc into the parks.
Last time we went, DD was so entertained with all that is there that we found no need for an iPad. She didn't even ask for our phones.

We now have a toddler also, so we will pack (for 2 adults, DD age 7, and DS age 2):
Diapers and wipes
Sippy cup
Ponchos
Juice pack charger for phones
Flip flops
Change of clothes for DS
Bibs
Zip lock bags
Maybe a few light snacks or water bottles

Phone and small wallet for me.
Inhaler for me.

Last trip we went on in 2013, our kids were 12, 9 and 7. They all had a park bag, DH had my lightweight back pack-he was going to carry his travel back pack which weighs a ton, mine is thin and lightweight-and I had a bag. This was our first non stroller trip since 2002 so I was nervous.....I forgot what it was like!

My bag had my phone, thermos water bottle for DH and I or sometimes just mine and I was able to shove my camera in there when I wasn't using it. I have a baggalini. I also kept some snacks as a just in case (one kid has food allergies and like me gets headaches if he doesn't eat). There was also a park map or 6, wipes, chap stick, my hat was clipped on my bag if it wasn't on my head.

DH had the bulk, if I didn't have his thermos water bottle he did, plus he carried about 3-4 more (we take mid day breaks). By day 2 he carried the 7 yes water. If there was a risk of rain, I threw the ponchos in his bag.

DD12 carried her phone and water, park map and whatever else she wanted to bring which was nothing most days.

DS9 carried his water and iPod

DD7 was just water but like I said she gave up carrying it early on.

DH carried all the money/credit cards park tickets (pre magic bands). I probably kept my license on me.

I try to limit since we are only a boat, monorail or bus ride away from our stuff.

I took my kids (10, 6, 3) to the doctor's office for a checkup yesterday and I carried my large Vera Bradley backpack with 3 ipads, 2 3DS, games, snacks, 2 coloring books, diapers, wipes, 3 water bottles and my stuff (wallet, keys, lip gloss). It felt like it weighed about 100 pounds, I don't travel light :) but I realize I won't be able to carry EVERYTHING like that for a full day at the parks. How big a bag do you carry for three kids and what do you take? (Kids will be 11, 8, and 4.5 years old at time of travel and we're planning on no stroller.) I am wondering if I take 3DS it will add extra weight but keep DS quiet in line? I need iPad, heavier than iPhone, I know, but I don't have iPhone, will use iPad for camera and Disney app and some entertainment while waiting.
I have to smile thinking about the difference between Disney with and without kids. No kids for us so I have my cell phone in 1 pocket and chapstick in another..then in the little vinyl pouch on my lanyard I have my liscence , CC, AP, TIW, and DVC card and a few coins to throw in the fountains. That's it!

I'm on the total opposite side (no kids) and am an overplanning worried, here's what I have just for comparison:
-larger sling/cinch bag (large main inside compartment, small inside zipper, 2 outside zipper parts and 1 bottle holder on each side)
-hand sanitizer clipped to zipper
-aluma wallet with ID, money cards of some sort, some cash
-medicine zip,around organizer with insurance and allergy papers inside
-poncho from Family Dollar (before each trip I buy one for each day so if I need it I can just throw away after)
-ziplock bags of various sizes (leftover snacks, used for waterproofing items on rides)
-m&m mini tube with quarters and pennies for machines
-small coin purse for smashed pennies
-plastic clipboard folder thing with photo mats and sharpies
-point and shoot camera
-portable power bank and phone cords
-wear jacket or put in bag if winter/early spring

I have a crossbody that i use to hold some cash, a credit card, my id, cell phone, and a portable battery charger for our cell phones. Then in the back pack, I have wipes, hand sanitizer, and a change of clothes for each of the kids. My kids are 3 and 5 so we had a double stroller and had waters in the attached cooler and since we went in November, I had fleeces with us for night time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter