• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I do with all my old cloth face masks?

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I have a good store of kn95's should I actually need a real mask. All my doctors' offices insist I use a surgical mask they provide. I have about 20 cloth masks around the house. Should I just dump them?

I have a good store of kn95's should I actually need a real mask. All my doctors' offices insist I use a surgical mask they provide. I have about 20 cloth masks around the house. Should I just dump them?
Well, cloth masks, while they may look neat, are, as we have learned over the past 30 months, pretty useless by themselves. If you would like to finish off an effective 95 or surgical with a nice looking cloth, keep and use. Otherwise, maybe toss.

I was just doing some light sanding and grabbed a cloth mask that was nearby. It was a very cheap one, so it's now in the trash. I bought a half dozen 'Maryland' ones when this all started and have a supply of filters that go inside. Those I'll keep, but mostly I just wear the surgical ones and toss them.

Well, cloth masks, while they may look neat, are, as we have learned over the past 30 months, pretty useless by themselves. If you would like to finish off an effective 95 or surgical with a nice looking cloth, keep and use. Otherwise, maybe toss.
My Pulmonologist would disagree. But all our cloth masks have a filter pocket in them. His pet peeve are those N-95's with exhaust valves on them, totally useless at protecting others.
Still wearing our cloth masks and changing those filters every few days. I guess it depends on where you live, I have been in and out of medical facilities on almost a weekly basis for the last 18 months, and yesterday they finally lifted social distancing rules under CDC guidelines, but masks, even cloth ones, are still required. And it looks like the mask requirements are coming back in some parts of the world, like Germany. https://www.traveloffpath.com/germany-to-reinstate-mask-mandate-for-the-entire-winter/

I've still seen a few people double-masking, wearing a cloth mask over a surgical. I guess they either feel it gives an extra layer of protection, or they like the look of the cloth masks better. I find that too stifling. I'm fine with my surgical masks.

I've still seen a few people double-masking, wearing a cloth mask over a surgical. I guess they either feel it gives an extra layer of protection, or they like the look of the cloth masks better. I find that too stifling. I'm fine with my surgical masks.
I did that before the free federal N95s became available because my face is narrow and surgical masks gap.

My doctor said double-masking helps primarily to make the surgical mask less likely to gap but does give a little extra protection.

I agree that's stifling. I find breathing through a close-fitting N95 easier.

My Pulmonologist would disagree. But all our cloth masks have a filter pocket in them. His pet peeve are those N-95's with exhaust valves on them, totally useless at protecting others.
Still wearing our cloth masks and changing those filters every few days. I guess it depends on where you live, I have been in and out of medical facilities on almost a weekly basis for the last 18 months, and yesterday they finally lifted social distancing rules under CDC guidelines, but masks, even cloth ones, are still required. And it looks like the mask requirements are coming back in some parts of the world, like Germany. https://www.traveloffpath.com/germany-to-reinstate-mask-mandate-for-the-entire-winter/
For sure. Agreed.
I mostly use the Halyard Fluidshield Level 3 surgical mask. A number of the hospitals here use these for their staffs. They are amazing. A few dollars a box more than others, but so worth it. They are great. For places I know might be 'bad', I'll use the RespoKare N95 mask, large. Big guy hear and most N95's do not fit me well. And like the Halyards above, these masks are excellent, for those times you feel you need a 95.

I wear a mask when out with people nearby. Can't take unnecessary risks with my heart and lung issues along with age.

We wear procedure masks in clinical areas but not required for admin.

We started back to school last week with a mask requirement, so we are still wearing them. I did throw out all the ones I bought in my attempt to find the perfect mask, but ended up not liking. I just kept my Pomchie ones and my Norwex ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter