What Disney Movies do we need to see before going?

terrilt

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW in November for 11 nights, staying at AKL. We haven't been since 2002. Just me & my husband, both 50. What movies do we need to see that would "help" us enJOY all 4 parks more? We don't have children/grandchildren, so we aren't up on all the Disney movies (we know Toy Story, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast - the older ones that were so popular when we were younger). Do we need to see Indiana Jones, Star Wars(which ones), Avatar, any of the newer Disney cartoon/animation movies? I know it's not necessary, but I remember when we were there in 2002, it was good that we knew The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc.
Thanks.

Maybe Frozen? Tangled & Brave are some of the "newer" ones and are really cute
Frozen is good and there is the new ride at Epcot

My husband and I are going in the fall, and he knew very little of anything Disney prior to planning this trip, so he's been watching some movies also to become familiar with them before the trip.

The good news for you is that they still use a ton of classic films and characters. But for newer characters, I would say #1 would be Frozen, I would definitely watch that. I've never watched a Star Wars film, but I brushed upon the basic storyline before my last trip, so I would say one of those would be helpful at Hollywood Studios, but can't help you on which one! Brave and Tangled would be good (I really enjoyed those as well, only first saw them last year). Indiana Jones I don't think is necessary. I've never seen a film, but still enjoyed the Stunt Show, no knowledge necessary. I have a soft spot for Princess and the Frog, as we stay at Port Orleans, so I recommend it if you want to and have the time. The two main characters feature in the afternoon parade at Magic Kingdom. Pocahontas might be a good one. I feel like Animal Kingdom has that kind of a vibe with respect for nature and the way we treat creatures. Oh, and we just watched Avatar ourselves in preparation for the new land. I think it will help us enjoy it, although we thought the movie itself was just ok (plot line is pretty transparent). That's all I can think of. :)

I second Tangled. My 18 year old son loves it. LOL!! Frozen is also a good one. Avatar would definitely be a good one for the new land.

And of course the classics. The Little Mermaid is also a good one. If you can stand the tears, Dumbo is another good one.

I would research some youtube videos or movies on the story of Walt Disney...I love understanding Walt's vision, it makes enjoying the parks that much more special. The 40th anniversary Snow White DVD has amazing bonus features about Walt's early days.

I'd start with the classics...Snow white, Sleeping Beauty, the Little Mermaid also check out some of the Wonderful World of Disney clips. The original videos of Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Mickey and even Steam Boat Willie. Listening to Goofy yodels as he plunges down an Alpine hill or Donald losing his mind with Chip and Dale are something that no one should go without. ;)

Watching Disney movies is by far one of the best ways to get pumped for Disney World. My friend and I looove Beauty and the Beast, it always seems to do the trick. I wholeheartedly agree that Tangled is a good excitement booster, as is Princess and the Frog. Actually any princess movie really. If you're still unsure, maybe give it a google and see which movie strikes your fancy, you really can't go wrong.

Definitely Frozen and Finding Nemo! Tangled and Brave are also very good.

If you are looking for other enjoyable movies to watch which could enhance, but not too necessary: Monsters, Inc. - there are a couple attractions in Tomorrowland.
Pirates of the Caribbean - I know the ride inspired the movie franchise!

And a plug for Moana - the newest Disney princess movie is awesome for everyone, including adults!

In my opinion, every ride and attraction is amazing and can be enjoyed without having seen the related movie. Many of the rides re-tell the story in an abbreviated version. Even if you have not seen Snow ****e and the Seven Dwarves, you probably know the gist of the story (unless you have lived in a bubble) You can enjoy Mine Train for the scenery and roller coaster without having seen the movie.

Yes, having see the movie may help you appreciate certain references but it is not needed....unless you are looking for an excuse to binge watch Disney movies. in that case, I say it is necessary to see them all.

We've been watching a lot of Disney movies in our house to get ready for our August trip. My teens have watched Moana over and over again, The Princess and the Frog several times, all the PotC movies, Avatar, Cinderella and Brave.

I would research some youtube videos or movies on the story of Walt Disney...I love understanding Walt's vision, it makes enjoying the parks that much more special. The 40th anniversary Snow White DVD has amazing bonus features about Walt's early days.
Totally agree with this.

While Disney movies are good, there is nothing that can make me (and perhaps others) appreciate the parks like reading or watching the history of the parks and of Walt himself. There are a couple of movies about his life and some good biographies. You might also enjoying reading the history of the rides and how they were conceptualized and developed. I've seen several TV shows that focused on the rides and history of the parks. When you know the little details to look for, you can enjoy them much more.

Choose movies that match the rides, such as Dumbo. Aladdin. Cinderella. Snow White. Song of the South. Peter Pan. Pirates of the Caribbean. Otherwise the rides and songs they hear make no sense.

Lilo and Stitch. Yeah, it's broken but good. No major tie in at the parks, I just love the movie. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter