What "Dis" park rules do not apply the last 2 weeks of December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprincessatlast

DIS Veteran
Curios as to what rules or "heavy suggestions" that are stated over and over here that do not apply those last 2 "Peak" weeks.

Examples...
Do you still avoid EMH?
Rope drop-necessary or the fable myth that so many mention here?
A sit down meal every day?
Follow touring guides?
Head straight to Fantasyland?

Also curious. I've been looking for past trip reports for those weeks and can't find anything.

I would definitely NOT avoid early EMH at MK for the mornings that EMH is 7 a.m. Really, who is going to get up that early? It's still dark! Compared to the rest of the day, MK will be almost empty for those first two hours. Rope drop at all the parks would still be my choice for the same reason.

All the rules apply even more so the last 2 weeks. We found that also following the take break mid day was good that is recommended due to heat in summer was good due to crowds. Hit rope drop and then take a break from 1 or 2 and they have a table service dinner around 5 or 6 and go late into night.

We went 4th of July and while yes, I know, not the same it is still a busy holiday time. We rope dropped every day with huge success. We did a TS lunch in order to relax and regroup a bit then had our FP scheduled for after our meal. It was a system that worked well for us. We were offsite so no EMH advice. Our MK rope drop order wss PP, IASW, HM, BTMR, Jungle Cruise, Tink, Buzz, Stitch and COP all before our noon reservation at The Plaza. We did all day/night with no breaks, just our touring preference.

On 12/30, we did 12 attractions at Magic Kingdom before our 11:30 lunch. All the same rules apply. If you're going against the normal rules, you will need to adapt.

We were there last year Dec. 20-30.

If you want to ride rides, you need to rope drop. We went to MK for 7am Christmas Day. It was AMAZING!! Tomorrowland was dead for the first hour. If you're happy with your three fp rides per day, and you are going more for the ambiance or fireworks, no need to rope drop. But avoid all parks after lunch til dinner. It gets crazy!

We only did TS on Christmas Day. We enjoyed counter service, but for lunch, go as soon as counter service restaurants open. You must do your best to stay ahead of the crowds.

I avoid Fantasyland at rope drop no matter what time of year I go. I try to FP SDMT and PP for later in the morning.

I would definitely NOT avoid early EMH at MK for the mornings that EMH is 7 a.m. Really, who is going to get up that early? It's still dark! Compared to the rest of the day, MK will be almost empty for those first two hours. Rope drop at all the parks would still be my choice for the same reason.

Agreed. We did 7am EMH last Thanksgiving and the park was practically empty.

What I learned last Christmas week.
AK will have extended evening hours, which means you can experience WDW's best night-time ride EE!!!!

In the evening, if you can only get a 4th FP+ for IASW ... Take it. I took an IASW FP+ basically out of fustration one night ... And as we were walking there, we got the MDE e-mail. IASW went down for some reason, which resulted in an available PP substitution :goodvibes

If it's a rainy night, stay in MK. Most guests gave up after Wishes on Christmas Eve, so we got on 7DMT with a 10 minute standby wait around 10:30p

AK (reccommended park) was the best park Christmas Day.
That night we hopped to EPCOT for dinner. EPCOT was insane. Which meant most guests were worn out before evening EMH
We walked into the TT pre-design room as fireworks began at 9:30p and went to Soarin with a reasonable wait.

Evening EMH works well at DHS, we did RnR a few times with ~20 min waits

Keep checking alternate FP+ substitutions. On the 28th, I lucked into a 7DMT :)

Curios as to what rules or "heavy suggestions" that are stated over and over here that do not apply those last 2 "Peak" weeks.

Examples...
Do you still avoid EMH?
Rope drop-necessary or the fable myth that so many mention here?
A sit down meal every day?
Follow touring guides?
Head straight to Fantasyland?

I was there last year from Dec. 23rd to Jan. 1st. Here is my opinion:
Do you still avoid EMH - MK had morning EMH every day we were there. We took advantage. We did not do EMH at the other parks, but I've never been a big fan of EMH at the parks other than MK.

Rope drop necessary? Yes! Yes! and Yes! We did two rope drops at MK and one at each of the other parks. We did another day each at Epcot and DHS but went in late and stayed late. (one was New Year's Eve)

Sit down meal? Definitely! We had one every day except one and we wished we had made an ADR for that day. Sit down meals are a great way to get out of the crowd and the CS places can get very busy.

Follow touring guides? Sort of. We made our own based on what we wanted to do combined with easywdw.com touring plans and all the info. we've learned on the DIS.

Head straight to Fantasyland? We went straight to Tomorrowland and walked on all the rides there while everyone fought their way to 7DMT and A&E; my kids loved being able to ride Space multiple times. If the kids were younger, we probably would have started in Fantasyland.

I love all this advice! Keep the good ideas coming. I have BOG at 9:30 and CRT at 1:05 for Christmas Day so I'm hoping we can still have a great time even if it's packed wall to wall. We will definitely hit rope drop and enjoy a few rides before the day gets crazy.

Hi Sbeets! This is a great question mainly because, at least to me, this time does feel totally different due to the volume of people and if you try and do it exactly the same way you usually tour, depending on how you tour, it could lead to a not so fun time (I won't talk about my tantrum at AK, I think some things are better left forgotten until your husband wants to embarrass you) My main tips for this time of year are:

1. Know your plans for ALL meals and make any necessary dining reservations 180+ days in advance. Usually I can get away with only planning a few important meals during our October/February trips and still get into good restaurants as our days get more solidified. This is not the case during the holidays, even Olivias can be hard to get into this time of year as we found out. I find planning out our days and meals for the entire trip to be the best way to make sure I've thought it all through. Make fun of us planners all you will, but once I started doing this, our Holiday vacations became magical and we didn't have to eat anymore delivery pizza in our room cuz we just didn't know what else to do.

2. EMH in the morning are a good idea but the real money time is at night. You think 7am is a rough hour for the target Disney Demographic? Between 12am and 3am you will have the park practically to yourself. I can't tell you how many days I skipped rope drop and instead spent the day messing around the resort, took a good nap and then hit the part at 11pm for EMH which extended till 3am. If you have young kids, this is likely not an option, but if you don't this is the way to do it.

3. If I'm not closing down the park into the wee hours, here's the plan I follow:
- Arrive 20mins before Rope Drop
- Make beeline to fave rides
- First Fast Pass is 1 hr after park opens (these should be made as soon as the 60 day window opens)
- After rides grab lunch "to go" from a quick service location
- Grab a spot for the parade (at least an hour if not two before) and eat lunch there
- Watch Parade
- Get out of the park (you will likely have a lot of traffic to contend with later in the day, there is no avoiding it unless you skip the parade)
- Go enjoy the resorts, have a nap, have a good dinner at a sit down restaurant outside the parks
- If energy and travel party allows, you can go back to the parks for the EMH in the evening but I usually don't do both as it gets exhausting.

4. You need to accept that crowds will be there, I can't stress this enough, there is no strategy that will make this time of year smooth and free of the aggravation of crowds. Going at times when there will be LESS crowds is a good start, but unless you plan on hiding in your room from 10am to 10pm, you will need to be patient, roll with the punches, and expect things to take more time. If you accept this, then you will have a great time (how zen I know, not like my temper tantrum self at all).

5. I find that touring plans are just as helpful here to me as they are the rest of the year, which is, moderately so. I would use these, but I wouldn't live and die by them.

6. It's Christmas time at the place where decorating and attention to detail are probably most important in the whole world. Therefore I find it is super important this time of year to get to the resorts and explore the theming. Spending an afternoon in the lobby of the Grand Floridian isn't something I usually do on every trip, because while it's super enjoyable, it's not beating out strolling world showcase lagoon or other such locations every single trip. However, with it's amazing decorations and the higher crowd volume at the other locations, it becomes way more enjoyable and a "must do" during the holidays. I find that taking the afternoon to hotel hop, as we call it, during the holidays is one of the more enjoyable ways to spend an afternoon or even an entire day.

7. I have never found the head straight to fantasy land tip all that helpful. I go by speed walking to your favorite ride. Before the kido that was the mountains, not it's peter pan, c'est la vie.

8. Finally, don't write off the pools just cuz it's December. I've had plenty of 80 degree weather days where we went swimming in the afternoon, so pack a suit, you never know.

Hi Sbeets! This is a great question mainly because, at least to me, this time does feel totally different due to the volume of people and if you try and do it exactly the same way you usually tour, depending on how you tour, it could lead to a not so fun time (I won't talk about my tantrum at AK, I think some things are better left forgotten until your husband wants to embarrass you) My main tips for this time of year are:

1. Know your plans for ALL meals and make any necessary dining reservations 180+ days in advance. Usually I can get away with only planning a few important meals during our October/February trips and still get into good restaurants as our days get more solidified. This is not the case during the holidays, even Olivias can be hard to get into this time of year as we found out. I find planning out our days and meals for the entire trip to be the best way to make sure I've thought it all through. Make fun of us planners all you will, but once I started doing this, our Holiday vacations became magical and we didn't have to eat anymore delivery pizza in our room cuz we just didn't know what else to do.

2. EMH in the morning are a good idea but the real money time is at night. You think 7am is a rough hour for the target Disney Demographic? Between 12am and 3am you will have the park practically to yourself. I can't tell you how many days I skipped rope drop and instead spent the day messing around the resort, took a good nap and then hit the part at 11pm for EMH which extended till 3am. If you have young kids, this is likely not an option, but if you don't this is the way to do it.

3. If I'm not closing down the park into the wee hours, here's the plan I follow:
- First Fast Pass is 1 hr after park opens (these should be made as soon as the 60 day window opens)
- Grab a spot for the parade (at least an hour if not two before) and eat lunch there
- Watch Parade
- Get out of the park (you will likely have a lot of traffic to contend with later in the day, there is no avoiding it unless you skip the parade)
- Go enjoy the resorts, have a nap, have a good dinner at a sit down restaurant outside the parks
- If energy and travel party allows, you can go back to the parks for the EMH in the evening but I usually don't do both as it gets exhausting.

4. You need to accept that crowds will be there, I can't stress this enough, there is no strategy that will make this time of year smooth and free of the aggravation of crowds. Going at times when there will be LESS crowds is a good start, but unless you plan on hiding in your room from 10am to 10pm, you will need to be patient, roll with the punches, and expect things to take more time. If you accept this, then you will have a great time (how zen I know, not like my temper tantrum self at all).

5. I find that touring plans are just as helpful here to me as they are the rest of the year, which is, moderately so. I would use these, but I wouldn't live and die by them.

6. It's Christmas time at the place where decorating and attention to detail are probably most important in the whole world. Therefore I find it is super important this time of year to get to the resorts and explore the theming. Spending an afternoon in the lobby of the Grand Floridian isn't something I usually do on every trip, because while it's super enjoyable, it's not beating out strolling world showcase lagoon or other such locations every single trip. However, with it's amazing decorations and the higher crowd volume at the other locations, it becomes way more enjoyable and a "must do" during the holidays. I find that taking the afternoon to hotel hop, as we call it, during the holidays is one of the more enjoyable ways to spend an afternoon or even an entire day.

7. I have never found the head straight to fantasy land tip all that helpful. I go by speed walking to your favorite ride. Before the kido that was the mountains, not it's peter pan, c'est la vie.

8. Finally, don't write off the pools just cuz it's December. I've had plenty of 80 degree weather days where we went swimming in the afternoon, so pack a suit, you never know.

Great advice! I am lowering our expectations for the Christmas trip. Well maybe not lowering but adjusting. I know this won't be a regular trip like we've done in previous years. We've never waited over 20 minutes for a ride so this trip will be different! Thanks for the great advice. I think my teens will probably close out the park at 3 am while I sleep away with the 3YO. DH can decide which team he wants to join.

- Watch Parade

I found this old thread, but thought that your advice was helpful. Thank you! Since you seem to have so much experience, do you have any new advice? Thanks again!

I found this old thread, but thought that your advice was helpful. Thank you! Since you seem to have so much experience, do you have any new advice? Thanks again!

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I pretty much summed it up here if I'm honest lol. Did you have anything in particular you're curious about?

This thread is two years old and MK has changed their opening procedures so some info is outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter