What did your parents ban or disencourage you from doing?

No smoking
No sex until marriage
No drinking
No drugs
No caffeine
No immodest clothing
No R rated movies
No swearing
I could go on... so many rules

And full disclosure, I broke all but one of those rules before the age of 18

My parents didn’t really discouraged us from doing anything. I graduated in 1980 and hung out with good kids. Not saying I was perfect and I certainly did a few things I shouldn’t have but I think my parents figured that we were going to do it anyway.

Not really much, I'm a child of the 60s/70s and southern. We were taught manners and pretty decent work ethic. Other than the usual don't kill anyone, don't go to jail and don't get pregnant - we were encouraged to use good sense and pretty much use the "do unto others" rule. Both of them smoked so they couldn't really ban that and they would occasionally drink, although there wasn't really alcohol in the house. My brothers (5 of them) played all the sports so there were always a few of their friends hanging around the house so parties did happen but Mama and Daddy were in the house. A part of the 70s we had a basement and that's where my brother's would have their parties. Everyone had to hand their keys over to Mama and Daddy when they arrived. I don't know how many times I'd wake up and wander into the kitchen to find guys who weren't my brother's around the table. Everyone knew if they came to our house they were treated like one of the kids so they had to do the dishes, eat at the table with the family or do whatever chore the brother they were visiting had to do. Oh, and Daddy was in the Navy during WWII so their was a lot of swearing like a sailor going on (mostly by Mama).

No smoking. I remember when he found out my older sister was smoking. She was probably 17 at the time, maybe younger. My sister and father were in her bedroom for which seemed forever with him lecturing her. My father was a pretty calm person, never really got mad/angry and hardly ever raised his voice by when he found out, he was so upset. Didn't matter though, my sister is 63 and still smokes.

My parents did not want me to be an artist. Not that they weren't proud of me, but they wanted me to do something 'sensible,' and to be able to support myself in a good job. We compromised, and when I started art school in high school I majored in commercial art and illustration instead of fine arts. They were right, as it turned out. I made my living as a commercial artist and designer for many years, and I also did illustrative work for many companies. Had I gone into fine art to be a painter, who knows what would have happened?

I was not allowed to watch R rated movies
I was not allowed to listen to certain music.

Other than that, it was pretty much understood that I would be just expected not to engage in any other sinful behavior.

This many years later, I have truly "gotten away with it"... and no need to tell on myself now :rolleyes1

My Dad was a wild man in high school, so anything that would cause him to think, "I would've found a way to get in trouble doing that in high school," it was out for me.

We were not allowed to play in the large storm ditch behind our house. We often did so anyway! 😁

Soda was not allowed in our house. Had to get my fix at friends' houses. That one worked out OK as I rarely drink soda as an adult.

Large Irish Catholic family, of course sex was discouraged. Didn't really succeed for most of us kids either.

College was absolutely expected (as was paying my own way).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter