What did you get your DH for your 20th Anniversary?

We are celebrating our 20th anniversary next April. We're avid Carnival cruisers, and we've decided that to celebrate, we're going to do our first back to back cruise, meaning we'll be on the same ship for 14 nights. We are big proponents of creating memories and experiences rather than purchasing "stuff."

We don’t really do gifts — we pick something to do together. For “big” anniversaries we’ve done fancy dinners (Inn at Little Washington, V&A, etc.), weekend away, etc.

We did a big vow renewal for our 20th anniversary. Catered dinner, ceremony, spent a night in a B&B, etc. That was 2 years ago.

I honestly don't remember what either of us gave each other for presents. I should know, but I don't remember. I don't remember what my wife bought me, and I don't remember what I got her either. I remember I wanted to get her a painting of a bridge that we walked over during our first date, but it was super ridiculously expensive. We both got new matching wedding bands.

We did a big vow renewal for our 20th anniversary. Catered dinner, ceremony, spent a night in a B&B, etc. That was 2 years ago.

I honestly don't remember what either of us gave each other for presents. I should know, but I don't remember. I don't remember what my wife bought me, and I don't remember what I got her either. I remember I wanted to get her a painting of a bridge that we walked over during our first date, but it was super ridiculously expensive. We both got new matching wedding bands.

So... I asked my wife. Daring, I know.

She gave me a hint. ;)

I got her tickets to Wicked in NYC. She got me tickets to Alton Brown's "Eat Your Science" tour.

My DH and I aren't really into anniversaries at all. I can't remember if it was our 2nd or 3rd anniversary (we've only been married a little less than 6 years) when I looked at DH and said "Did you know our anniversary was two days ago?" I hadn't remembered either. We still laugh about that.

We are both retired and do what we want when we want. We travel a lot.

My DH technically paid for us to go on a Panama Canal cruise for our 20th anniversary, but we considered that a couples gift. I bought little things to make our trip special for him. I bought him a huge gift bag filled with new lingerie, chocolate, strawberry & other sauces ;), a special $16 soap that I would never have bought otherwise, a speaker for his Iphone to play our wedding songs quietly (when we had a special dinner on our balcony), battery operated candles, etc. I also worked hard to lose 25 pounds for the cruise. He still totally one-upped me. He'd been so busy working to pay for the cruise that he hadn't bought me a gift. When we arrived at our cruise destination, he wanted to go shopping to let me choose a gift. I told him the only thing I really wanted was for him to quit smoking. Hey, it was worth a try. To my surprise he quit that day & is going on six years smoke free. I know that doesn't help you a lot, but it was huge for me. The funny thing is, we had this big 20th celebration, but didn't do anything for our 25th last October. Our DS graduated college this year & is going to grad school. That takes priority now. I'm okay with that. DH gave me the thing I wanted most for our 20th.

I haven't read all the posts, but I see you have older kids that could stay with family or friends for a weekend. Could you book a weekend getaway somewhere? A hotel in town (if that's all you can do), with a gift bag similar to what I gave DH, would probably be a hit. ;) For couples with kids still at home, an extended amount of time alone to concentrate on nothing but each other can be the best gift you can receive. Stay in. Order room service for breakfast & dinner & make it a really special anniversary.

Last edited:
We only are at 17 but at 20 he will get what he got for all the previous years, a card and Fish Tale for dinner (take out seafood). This year he had to step it up since our anniversary was on Mother's Day so I got flowers that we all enjoyed.

We don't do gifts because all year long if we need something we buy it.

Nothing. We had health issues at the time. 28 is this yr for us. I would like to do something big for 30. Not really into "gifts", we are downsizing lol.

My DH technically paid for us to go on a Panama Canal cruise for our 20th anniversary, but we considered that a couples gift. I bought little things to make our trip special for him. I bought him a huge gift bag filled with new lingerie, chocolate, strawberry & other sauces ;), a special $16 soap that I would never have bought otherwise, a speaker for his Iphone to play our wedding songs quietly (when we had a special dinner on our balcony), battery operated candles, etc. I also worked hard to lose 25 pounds for the cruise. He still totally one-upped me. He'd been so busy working to pay for the cruise that he hadn't bought me a gift. When we arrived at our cruise destination, he wanted to go shopping to let me choose a gift. I told him the only thing I really wanted was for him to quit smoking. Hey, it was worth a try. To my surprise he quit that day & is going on six years smoke free. I know that doesn't help you a lot, but it was huge for me. The funny thing is, we had this big 20th celebration, but didn't do anything for our 25th last October. Our DS graduated college this year & is going to grad school. That takes priority now. I'm okay with that. DH gave me the thing I wanted most for our 20th.

I haven't read all the posts, but I see you have older kids that could stay with family or friends for a weekend. Could you book a weekend getaway somewhere? A hotel in town (if that's all you can do), with a gift bag similar to what I gave DH, would probably be a hit. ;) For couples with kids still at home, an extended amount of time alone to concentrate on nothing but each other can be the best gift you can receive. Stay in. Order room service for breakfast & dinner & make it a really special anniversary.
Boy! Who needed to do a cruise after all that preparation? You're fun and fancy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter