What COST took you by suprise?

Not sure I'll say anything that surprises folks here but the toiletries and food items at the gift shops. What was en eye opener to me, although I wasn't paying for it was the cost of the meals. We always used the DDP, but when you look at the cost it's like "Whoa!"

For example, to book Cinderella's Royal table, it was like $200+ dollars for 2 adults\2 kids.

Yep, the character meals are OUTRAGEOUS in cost, especially when you consider most times it is sub-par food at best. We go for the character experience, not the food, so I'm not surprised that the food is just ok. We're not paying for the food. That being said, we paid almost $100 for our then family of 3 to have breakfast at Chef Mickey's and all it was was very standard breakfast fare....cereals, breads, yogurt, fruit, pancakes, waffles, breakfast meat, etc. Sure, they had a nice set up and it was all you can eat, but my daughter was 3 at the time. She ate cherrios and a banana for about $30.:scared1::eek::scared1::eek: I could have gotten the same food at our resort for about $30 TOTAL and still been very satisfied.

Next trip we're very close to staying offsite as I have a rewards card for a big hotel chain and the resort we're looking at has a character breakfast offered a few times a week. I'm telling you, I've had this hotel's breakfast before and I think I'll be very happy paying a little extra for the characters and their food versus the crazy parade that is Chef Mickey's! LOL I want my kids to have the full Disney experience as much as the next guy, but I am not made of money. I wish, but so far, that's as far I've gotten!:laughing:

I feel exactly the same way. That's why now (since we drive) we stop off at the Disney outlet in St. Augustine on the way down. The last 2 visits I've been able to find great zip up hoodies for $10 and $12!! Then I'm not so put off when I browse the park shops. Oh, and since we collect Disney Christmas ornaments, I was able to find some beautiful tree ornaments for 75%off- saw them for full price later that week in the parks.

This is a great tip! Where exactly is the outlet store in St. Augustine? We most likely will have to drive from now on, as well, and we come straight down I-75 from Michigan. I've often found clothing I like at WDW but like so many, refuse to pay $50+ for a sweatshirt or God forbid I want a cute purse. $70, 80, 100! YIKES!!:scared1:

We do buy an ornament from the little Christmas shop in MK every time we go, though. Somehow I have been able to find affordable ornaments pretty easily. In 2010 I got the Mickey head bell ornament with the year on it for 9.95. Didn't think that was too bad.

My biggest cost surprise was years ago, pre-digital cameras. The battery in my camera went dead and I had to buy another (it was those ones that looked like AA's, but were shorter and fatter). First, they didn't come in single packs, so I had to buy a 2 pack and I'm pretty sure it was like $15!!! I was so mad - it never even crossed my mind to bring one from home because it wasn't something that had to be changed very often.

MEDS!!!! I got a nasty sinus infection 1 trip and of course they had nothing strong enough to help so I had to place an order with a phamracy that delivered. Taught me to always pack a mini pharmacy every time we go. (Especially childrens meds.) I can treat everything from fever, to cough, to burns, to headaches, sinus headaches, to cuts and scrapes, to chapped lips, to nausea and diarrhea! My family used to pick on me until one disastrous trip my husband needed the Pepto. He bows down to my obsessive over packing now!!!:lmao:

Yep, we learned this the hard way, too. DD, who was 3 at the time, came down with a virus our 2nd day there. Her fever was skyhigh. We ended up at the ER for them to give us Children's Tylenol and apple juice & a popsicle (to get her to pee so they could rule out a bladder infection). That was the $100 tylenol joke for a long time around here. We did end up having meds delivered to our resort room, but I actually found that to be rather affordable, especially since POR credited our account for the taxi we had to take to the ER. We only paid something like $11 for a bottle of tylenol and a very basic digi thermometer. $11 well worth it.

Yep, the character meals are OUTRAGEOUS in cost, especially when you consider most times it is sub-par food at best. We go for the character experience, not the food, so I'm not surprised that the food is just ok. We're not paying for the food. That being said, we paid almost $100 for our then family of 3 to have breakfast at Chef Mickey's and all it was was very standard breakfast fare....cereals, breads, yogurt, fruit, pancakes, waffles, breakfast meat, etc. Sure, they had a nice set up and it was all you can eat, but my daughter was 3 at the time. She ate cherrios and a banana for about $30.:scared1::eek::scared1::eek: I could have gotten the same food at our resort for about $30 TOTAL and still been very satisfied.

Next trip we're very close to staying offsite as I have a rewards card for a big hotel chain and the resort we're looking at has a character breakfast offered a few times a week. I'm telling you, I've had this hotel's breakfast before and I think I'll be very happy paying a little extra for the characters and their food versus the crazy parade that is Chef Mickey's! LOL I want my kids to have the full Disney experience as much as the next guy, but I am not made of money. I wish, but so far, that's as far I've gotten!:laughing:

Are you talking about the Swan's character breakfast? I'm 100% with you. We stopped doing character meals last year because they are just too expensive and the food is not great. We were lucky to find all the characters we wanted to see last year in the parks.

$5 for a hot cocoa at MVMCP.

It was the end of the night and my daughter and I were waiting for my wife and other daughters to finish up in the restroom. We were sitting on a bench near Tomorrowland Terrace and there was a girl selling hot cocoa nearby. She was being friendly saying it was her last one. A co-worker CM came by and asked us if we wanted it, we said "no thanks." After he left, she asked us again if we wanted it. At this point, I thought she was just being nice and giving it to my daughter since it was closing time. I told my daughter fine, to go ahead and grab it if she was giving it to her for free. Once she handed it to my daughter, she said "$5."

Get the funk out of here!

We still laugh about the balloon my 3 year old daughter wanted when we walked down Main St the first time we went to Disney with our kids in 2003. My hubby said on the way out...then when he went to buy it the man said $20.00...we couldn't believe it...we tried to get it on to the airplane but we were told we had to deflate it....my husband just laughed..we all had a moment with the $20.00 balloon....:rotfl:

Since we go so often, we are fairly immune to sticker shock now. Planning ahead works out the best for us so I know how much we will be spending at meals including drinks/tips...plus we have the TIW card that saves us some money.

But what hasn't been mentioned that really caught be by surprise was when I forgot my little case of hair thingies (hair bands for my ponytails). It was a warm trip and I HAD to wear my hair up. I finally found some in the giftshop in the kids department...$12!! Are you kidding me?? I could have bought a pack of 25 at home for less than half that. I broke down and bought them...still have a few left I think. They do have little clear plastic solid mickey heads attached.

We were staying at SSR one year and I shipped down some boxes with snacks, drinks, Easter candy, laundry detergent, etc. When we checked in they said we had the boxes and they kindly delivered them to our room.

I recently did the same thing when we stayed at the Boardwalk and shipped down 3 boxes. We had to go and pick them up and then they told me it was $10/box! When I asked why they said, "to make sure they are kept secure."

Not a good way to start my trip! :mad:

$5 for a hot cocoa at MVMCP.

It was the end of the night and my daughter and I were waiting for my wife and other daughters to finish up in the restroom. We were sitting on a bench near Tomorrowland Terrace and there was a girl selling hot cocoa nearby. She was being friendly saying it was her last one. A co-worker CM came by and asked us if we wanted it, we said "no thanks." After he left, she asked us again if we wanted it. At this point, I thought she was just being nice and giving it to my daughter since it was closing time. I told my daughter fine, to go ahead and grab it if she was giving it to her for free. Once she handed it to my daughter, she said "$5."

Get the funk out of here!

Sounds like you got ripped x2...isn't hot chocolate and cookies FREE during MNSSHP?

We still laugh about the balloon my 3 year old daughter wanted when we walked down Main St the first time we went to Disney with our kids in 2003. My hubby said on the way out...then when he went to buy it the man said $20.00...we couldn't believe it...we tried to get it on to the airplane but we were told we had to deflate it....my husband just laughed..we all had a moment with the $20.00 balloon....:rotfl:

I almost purchased a balloon for our grandson at MK, but it was a double one and I don't remember if it was 10 or 20, but it was way over priced and I refused to purchase it. My grandson was disappointed, but that was just ridiculous.
Also, on one trip I forgot to put in sunscreen. I was shocked to see prices in the teens. I must have taken at least a half hour deciding which to purchase....and that was at a PUBLIX! Bring sunscreen from home.

I just posted about a questions asking about food budgets and not wanting to be suprised by all the nickel and diming (I wish I could think of a more positive way to put it). That got me thinking about other costs that may take me by suprise.

What cost took you by suprise?

What do you wish you'd brought from home, that you had to buy on your trip?

What cost do you wish you'd budgeted for?

The cost of a dinner buffet for a 10yo took us by surprise... tho that was before we got there.

It's the $3 bowl of corn flakes that irks me... I coulda packed that for like $0.25 and it seems DW just has to have cereal at some point.

Pins... we totally need to budget for pins.

You know what always amazes me?

How expensive those cheesy little antenna balls are. Everytime we see a car with one of them on the antenna, my wife and I say "there's goes someone who payed too much for a souviner"

Really? I paid $3.95 for one with a princess crown and $5.85 for my 'peace, love, mickey' antenna topper! I love them and thought it was reasonable price Perhaps they have some that are more $$$

can't really say any costs catch us by surprise. we know there are not going to be any bargains per say...we tend to be pretty thorough with our budgeting

CASHV2008.jpg

AA batteries at a photo kiosk - $15 for a four pack. We go to the World at least once a year so really nothing catches us by surprise, cost wise. The reality is Disney costs are on a par with any upscale vacation. Been to NYC lately?

You know what always amazes me?

How expensive those cheesy little antenna balls are. Everytime we see a car with one of them on the antenna, my wife and I say "there's goes someone who payed too much for a souviner"

Really? I paid $3.95 for one with a princess crown and $5.85 for my 'peace, love, mickey' antenna topper! I love them and thought it was reasonable price Perhaps they have some that are more $$$

I also didn't understand the post about the antenna toppers. :confused3
They had some at my local Disney Store last year and they were only about $3.00. They were the same price the last time I was at WDW too. For my $ that is one cheap souvenior.

AA batteries at a photo kiosk - $15 for a four pack. We go to the World at least once a year so really nothing catches us by surprise, cost wise. The reality is Disney costs are on a par with any upscale vacation. Been to NYC lately?

i was trying to do boston nyc and washington before disney just 9 nights of hotels alone in these 3 cities combined was 1500 euros for me alone for that money i can get hotel plus tickets at disney

Went in the summer awhile back and bought ice creams at a cart in MK for $2.75 each and the next day went to Epcot and all the ice creams were $3.50. We were surprised that the priced increased so much overnight. It must have been a WDW increase because all the carts were charging $3.50 for ice creams after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter