what car can fit 2 car seats and 3 adults?

quikah

Mouseketeer
I need a bigger car. We have one son and one on the way, so my Mazda 3 isn't going to cut it anymore.

I really would prefer to get the smallest car we can get away with. Mazda 5 seems like it would work, are there any other cars I should look at that could fit this many people comfortably?

I think Mazda 5 is probably about as small as I would go. GM was supposed to be coming out with something comparable (albeit w/o the sliding doors), but they pushed back the U.S. release. You could possible go to a large sedan or one of the bigger 5-passenger SUV's, but I think you'd have something that was cramped in the back seat & still didn't provide better fuel mileage than the Mazda 5. I think your idea of the smallest mini-van available is sound.

That said, we really love our GMC Acadia & only have 4 people in our family (as opposed to your 5). It's nice having all that space. But, it sounds like that or anything similar (or one of the larger minivans) would be much bigger than what you want.

I LOVE my Mazda 5! I've had it for about a month now, and am soooo thrilled with the purchase. It's the perfect size - not too big like a minivan, but big enough for kids and carseats and adults.

Are you open to the idea of SUVs? I was strictly a car person and then I had to get an Explorer (back problems when lifting the carseat into my old Honda). I loved the Explorer and it had a second row backseat that could fold up (two seats) although there was no room behind it.

I recently upgraded to an Expedition and never knew I could love a car this much! It also has the third row backseat, but with space behind it. And I can fold down two seats or just one to maximize the space I need. It gives me the space I need without the minivan.

If I'm reading the OP right, I would think the problem with SUV's is the size of them. Honestly, the Mazda 5 is the only "small" vehicle of any type (that I know of) available in the U.S. right now with a 3rd row of seating. If a "mini-van" is "too big" for the OP, any of the SUV's with a 3rd row would be as well.

She could look at something like a Ford Edge or Toyota Venza with 5-passenger seating, but I think that would make for a cramped riding experience with 2 car seats in there.

I'd start googling for cars with the biggest amount of interior room width-wise. Even in my Toyota Rav4, I wouldn't want (or comfortably be able) to put 2 car seats and 3 adults in it. Just with DD's car seat (an Evenflo Triumph Advance), it goes well into the "middle seat" in the back seat. You add another car seat on the other side and the adult sitting back there with them is going to have to be very, VERY skinny.

I <3 small cars too.

But nothing short of a Hummer is wide enough to comfortably fit two typical car seats and an adult on the same row. You either need to shop for a vehicle with a 2nd back seat (such as a Mazda 5, minivan or SUV) or purchase unusually narrow car seats / booster seats.

I seriously looked at some very narrow car seats. They all meet government guidelines for child safety, but they just don't look as safe as those with wide padded sides. (We eventually purchased more user-friendly seats, despite their large bulk/width.) You might want to check out web sites dedicated to parenting twins or tripplets for advice on narrower car seats.

How old are your kids? How much longer will they be required to use car seats and/or booster seats? Once they can wear regular seat belts, you can be comfortable in small cars again.

if you plan to use small car ofr vacation, think about room for lugage. very little room in most suvs or minivans that i have looked at. plus most cars do not have room in back seat for an adult and 2 carseats. not sure what the answer is.

The Mazda5 is pretty good for two kids and occasionally more than 2 adults. I wouldn't want an adult to need to ride in the third row for very long and you're not going to get much luggage in while you're using the third row, but I do really like mine. We've managed to get a bunch of luggage in when we just have the two kids and us. We've had it for 6 years now and I've never regretted the purchase.

Look into the Radian Carseats (highly rated) and slimmer in the width... most ppl can fit 3 of them in a small car... You may be able to get 2 and a teenager in the back! Buy Buy Baby stocks them, you could "test" them before purchasing

my husband has a chevy malibu that we put a cosco hb booster and a cosco scenera carseat in. there is room for an average size adult in the back with both seats. I wouldnt want to drive to fl from pa with it but we have used it to travel 2-2.5 hrs from home with a 3rd adult in the back. its tight but doable

Look into the Radian Carseats (highly rated) and slimmer in the width... most ppl can fit 3 of them in a small car... You may be able to get 2 and a teenager in the back! Buy Buy Baby stocks them, you could "test" them before purchasing

We purchased 2 radians for in our Ford Fusion so we could fit our 10 year old in the back seat with them. It was TIGHT. And the 10 year old was not very big. They do have small bases, but the tops aren't much narrower. Love the seats though.

Sarah

if you plan to use small car ofr vacation, think about room for lugage. very little room in most suvs or minivans that i have looked at. plus most cars do not have room in back seat for an adult and 2 carseats. not sure what the answer is.

I have a coworker with 4 kids & a minivan. They have a rooftop carrier for all their gear. I would assume the same would be pretty much required of a Mazda 5 & 5 passengers with luggage.

I have a coworker with 4 kids & a minivan. They have a rooftop carrier for all their gear. I would assume the same would be pretty much required of a Mazda 5 & 5 passengers with luggage.

In the Mazda 5 if you really needed to, you could put both carseats in the 3rd row, one adult in one of the 2nd row captains chairs, and fold down the other captains chair for the storage space for the luggage.
We did a TON of research before buying it, and the mazda 5 really is the only car in its niche available in the US market.

Are you looking for a new or used car?

Some small suv's with 3rd row are toyota rav4 (hard to find) and hyundai santa fe (interior is nicer than mazda). You might also consider a chrysler pacifica. Oh, and mitsubishi outlanders have a 3rd row too, they are more like a wagon than an suv.

We did a lot of research last year when our baby was on the way. I was very close to getting the mazda 5, but two that we looked at had so many plastic pieces falling off, and these were only 2-3 years old. We ended up with a toyota highlander, but now I regret the decision because it's too big.

If I had the choice now, I would go with the hyundai santa fe.

Thanks

Our son is 2, the other is due next month. I really cannot drive big cars, I have been stuck with some smaller SUVs and a Town & Country for rentals before, I just had a terrible time driving them.

I wish there was more choice, but Mazda 5 seems like the only one. I have looked at all the dimensions of the various cars and even the biggest sedans in my price range seem to only have backseats of ~57" which is not much bigger than the ~53" of my current Mazda 3.

Are you open to the idea of SUVs? I was strictly a car person and then I had to get an Explorer (back problems when lifting the carseat into my old Honda). I loved the Explorer and it had a second row backseat that could fold up (two seats) although there was no room behind it.

I recently upgraded to an Expedition and never knew I could love a car this much! It also has the third row backseat, but with space behind it. And I can fold down two seats or just one to maximize the space I need. It gives me the space I need without the minivan.

I could have written this post myself. Got rid of my Mustang and got an Explorer. Just upgraded to an Expedition and I'm in LOVE!

We have a Kia ROndo with a third row. We bought it when DD1 was about 6 months thinking it would be great as the family grew but also to go places with my parents..... fast forward. THe car seat`s cannot go in the third row because there is no upper tether (required by law in Canada for a FF car seat). ANd since DD(4) is tiny she is too small for a booster. So - we have a third row but you can`t get into it with carseats in the second! Unless you climb over the 2nd row or through the trunk. (I see a lot of that at DD`s school!)

My parents have a Dodge Journey (3rd row) and same thing.

So:

1) Third Row: If you are looking at vehicles with 3 rows make sure the third row can accept a car seat with a tether (a lot don`t and can`t add them aftermarket).

2) Narrow Carseat: We have DD in a Radian - one of the narrowest seats. It harnesses from 5 to 65 pounds so it can be used RF for an infant and FF for a toddler. In our backseat we also have DD2 in a Graco bucket - and it leaves enough space for an adult to squish in. I have done it on a longer ride to keep the peace! In my parents Journey it is a comfortable ride - more then enough space for me (I am not a big person though). 2 Radians will give you a lot more space.

Aside from a Mazda 5 I think you are just better off going up to a van. I know you said you don`t like bigger vehicles - but I am always surprised how easy a van is to drive. Because you know exactly where the edges are and there are few blind spots.

A few thoughts....

We did a TON of research before buying it, and the mazda 5 really is the only car in its niche available in the US market.

I really think the major players are missing the boat on this one. If Ford, GM, or Toyota were to come out with a good car in this size, I think it would be a huge hit. GM was looking to bring one in with a diesel that should have netted nearly 40 MPG. I would think people would be all over that!

Chevrolet-Orlando_Concept_2008_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter