• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What can I put under my couch cushions ?

pampam

DIS Veteran
I need to refresh sagging springs or cushions. The upholstry still looks great.

I need to refresh sagging springs or cushions. The upholstry still looks great.

My DH ripped the lining out from under our couch cut plywood (I think) and screwed it under ours and we just stapled the lining back up and it is as good as new

I used to fell like a turtle on my back trying to get up, now it is great!

I had hubby cut pieces of plywood, covered them with some old fabric that I had, and put them under the cushions. Now when we sit down we don't feel like we are dropping to the bottom. I used them in an old set of furniture, when we got the new set, I put them in those, too.

They do sell things on QVC to put inside couches and love seats that do the same thing, I just did not want to spend the money when the plywood worked just as well.

We have a piece of "chipboard" (that fake plywood made of pieces of wood glued together) under our sofa cushions. The couch ate us without it.

I saw these at a local CVS. No idea on how they perform.

Link.

It does not work!!! My husband tested it in his old recliner in his man cave and he was very disappointed, he fell right through it:rotfl:.

Those Furniture Fix things were very uncomfortable as well. I ended up returning the ones I bought.

also you an consider if they have zips and are easy to open getting new cushioning. we got some great couches at costco but we sank into the couches. we took it to an upholstery place and they unzipped gutted, and put in new foam. after that it was more like sitting on a bed and no more sinking. they advised us that to make cheaper couches that look nice they skimp on the construction and stuffing.

I have the benefit that I manufacture fairly heavy density (in comparison to furniture) 2' x 2' foam blocks at work. Any scrap that has fire retardant in it is landfill material (other materials are recycled in-house.) Thus, if I have any scrap, I can recycle it myself for my own use. I just took home a bunch of 1 inch thick foam blocks that had been sitting in my office for probably 4 years and "fixed" my sagging bed as well as "fixed" the sagging couch.

I agree w/ the plywood. I did that on my last couch. Just measure the area and head to Lowes or HD. You can buy the sheet and they will cut it for you. I cut mine just short enough that you could not see it from the front, so the opening up the lining like someone posted about was not necessary. You can also have the foam replaced in your cushions if the plywood alone isn't enough.

The plywood trick works well if you have a sleeper sofa, too.

OP here.

I used your suggestions and some I found on the internet as well.

I turned the couch over, and removed part of the fabric on the bottom. I discovered that 2 springs were broken. The springs were fashioned something like a Y with one end fastened to the couch and that was where it broke. So, I went to the hardware store, but couldn't find something I could screw the other part of the Y to the couch with. I had to nail it. Since 2 springs were broken, I bought 2 link lap repair circle thingies ( $.55 each) and 2 staple fence nails. ($.02) They are U shaped nails with points on each end. I put the circle thingies through the spring, and the staple nails through and nailed the springs to the frame. I also used 2 cable tie zip strips to join the repaired spring to the spring beside it that wasn't broken, for more support. I realize it isn't as solid a job as screws, but I'll keep my eye out for something that might work. This will do fine for now. I also bought a sheet of 1/4 " plywood cut into 2 pieces to fit under the cushions. ($11.99) I tried a thicker plywood but it was to firm, so I bought 1/4" knowing I could use both peices if I needed them. I did. When I placed them under the cushion, I realized the couch had sagged, leaving a gap between the couch and the plywood. So, I took a stitch ripper and carefully undid the stitches where the sag was. I stuffed some polyeyster fill quilt batten into where the sag was, and a little in the front to fill it out nicely. I sewed it up, and put duct tape around the edges of the plywood to protect the fabric. I used duct tape in a colour the same as the couch, in case someone should look, but that was just my touch. I'm very pleased with the results.

well,I think I'm going to have DH cut some plywood to fit our couches....they need replacing,but not happening right now unless a friend is selling(one of the few things I don't want to buy 2ndhand)
I assume the plywood will support our mushy cushions just fine without showing........(ugh,we spent TOO much money on these couches,and they are BAD quality)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter