What can I buy NOW for our trip in Nov?

Calirya

Disney Do-Over Nov 2016!
We are taking my DD (who will be 3 at the time) to Disney for the 1st time in Nov '13. She is obsessed with Cinderella right now. Loves Sofia and Doc too. She talks about going to see "Cinderella and Cinderella's castle and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Minnie and Sofia and Donald..." every. single. day. Its going to be a long year! LOL

I've been to WDW once in 2001 and also to DW once in 2003. Not only is my DD very excited, so am I!

So my question(s)- what can I buy ahead of time that might save me some money in the park? I'm talking as far as fun stuff- autograph books, water bottles, pins/lanyards? Is it worth "pre-buying" these items?

Also how does the pin trading work and when will the parks start decorating for Christmas? We are going 11/3/13 to 11/10/13.

TIA!!

Its always a good thing to plan ahead. Right now though I'd focus on buying some practical things - batteries, sunscreen, extra memory card for the camera. You'd be surprised at how expensive these things are at WDW.

I'd avoid buying too much of whatever your little one's current favorite character is since they could easily have moved on to some other character by November.

Sunscreen you can probably get on the clearance rack now.
I would get rain poncho's.
Buy a Frog Togg towel from WalMart - its a towel that when you wet it, it turns cold and will stay cold for 4 hours. Good on those hot days. You can find them in the camping section.

Gift cards for the kids to use to buy stuff. Good thing for the Grandparents to get this for easter or birthdays.

Don't forget you can take your own snacks and drinks into the park. This is a huge money saver.

Frogg Towel- I'm going to look for that. Thanks

What about pins? Buy them ahead of time? Or is that more the excitement of finding them? Or trading them? Who do you trade with? I'm new to this. :)

I hope someone knows about the Christmas decorations. I'm hoping we're not too early and don't miss them.

I'm in PA not very familiar with FL weather. Can I expect it to be warm in the beginning of Nov? Like shorts weather? 70s and up is shorts weather up here.

It is still warm in November, though there can be the occasional cold snap. We went in 2011 and it was warm enough most days to swim (70+). However, we went later in November 2010, and there was a cold front and it was pretty cold. Given that we're from Georgia, I would have never swam. My two oldest boys tried it for a bit, but they got too cold. All that being said, my advice would be to watch the weather (of course), and count on being able to wear shorts, but bring one pair of jeans or a lightweight jacket if you have room in the suitcase.

Glow bracelets! I always buy them at the dollar store and bring them along. If nothing else, it helps get over the post-dinner slump with the kids when they are a little tired but trying to make it to fireworks. Keeps the little fingers busy and entertained! Plus, it makes it easier to by-pass the carts of glowing,spinning toys that cost so much!

We are going in December, and I'm buying things as I see them on sale.

For instance last night at Target the men's gift kits were 50% off. I got my husband one of Axe products that came in a mens travel kit bag. It will be great for him on the trip, and cost us $7.50.

I have a box in the basement, and as I see things good for the trip I put them in. It's all about the sale prices for me right now!:thumbsup2

GLOW BRACELETS! YES! That's a great idea! I always get them for the 4th of July. I'll def be on the lookout for them at the dollar store. :)

Frogg Towel- I'm going to look for that. Thanks

What about pins? Buy them ahead of time? Or is that more the excitement of finding them? Or trading them? Who do you trade with? I'm new to this. :)

I hope someone knows about the Christmas decorations. I'm hoping we're not too early and don't miss them.

I'm in PA not very familiar with FL weather. Can I expect it to be warm in the beginning of Nov? Like shorts weather? 70s and up is shorts weather up here.

You can buy pins ahead of time or buy them once you get there, which ever works for you. If you're going to buy them in advance make sure you're ordering from a reputable dealer not buying knockoffs. You trade them with cast members, any cast member wearing pins on a lanyard will trade.

This past year the christmas party and lights started on nov. 9th, so I'd say there's a chance you'll see the christmas decorations on your last day or two.

Nov. weather in disney is usually around the 70s, so pack shorts, but be prepared for a cold snap and bring pants and a hoodie as well just in case. Best thing to do is watch the weather forecast the weeks leading up to your vacation and see what's happening.

I would for go the autograph book and go on ebay and buy 9 inch vinlymation and have the chartacters sign that or maybe a matt to have the charcter sign but you would want to put the mat in a padded envelop and put in backpack or get a pillowcase to have sign and put that in a frame and put on the wall.If you get the vinylamtion use paint markers they might even sell them at disney but make sure you get the 9 inch one.Also with the pillowcase wash it before you take it to disney

You could go to disneystore if you have one buy adult small Mickey Mouse t-shirt and have that signed and put in a frame.Also it doesnt cost anything but when you go to one of the parks on your first day and go to guest services and get first time button

I haven't gone with kids, but I plan to do this when DD is old enough: pack some new toys in your suitcase, then bring them out at the park instead of buying from the souvenir shops (and then you know they'll fit in your suitcase on the way home). Like a PP said, your daughter may change her mind on who her favorite character is by then, but I'm betting you could find some good after Christmas clearance toys (just saw a bunch of clearance toys today at Walmart). The same with clothes- I've been stocking up on any cheap Disney clothes I see on clearance for her to wear at the parks (found a 97 cent shirt at Old Navy!) If you start now you'll have plenty of time to look and hopefully snag some good deals.

If you are going to buy from disney store.com wait until there is free shipping on disney park items. It is a discount that comes up frequently, seems like just about every month.

Also it doesnt cost anything but when you go to one of the parks on your first day and go to guest services and get first time button

I've never heard of this in all the time I've been lurking on this board. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to get this for my girls!

Pin trading is super fun for all family members - buy a big lot of them and pre buy the lanyards online from a good dealer. I bought a lot of 50 for the 4 of us and it was a good deal! :)

I just got back and brought my 5 yo DS and 3 yo DD. I would buy these is in advance:

Princess dresses from toysrus at the end of Halloween next year
Light up toys from dollar tree and toysrus
Ponchos
Small umbrella
Cross over purse for you
We bought lanyards and pins at target in FL once we got there. Much cheaper than the parks. You can also order these off eBay.
I ordered personalized tshirts for the kids with their names monogrammed, really cute for pictures
I'd suggest doing the photopass, and pay in advance...it's cheaper. I didn't and really wish I would have now
Autograph books
I ordered their mickey and minnie ears and had them monogrammed and gave it to them for Christmas

Also check out the disneystore.com frequently. When I ordered the kids things, I received free shipping and monogrammed items free with the promo.

Hope that helps :) you're going to have so much fun!!!!!

If u are thinking about doing pin trading it's not a bad idea to buy some pin sets cheep online before your trip... You'll save money and start off with inexpensive pins to trade. Any cast member u see with a lanyard of pins trades... Just go up to them, ask if u can see their pins... If u find one u like just tell em you'd like to trade. You'll find the cast members all over.... From your hotel... The parks... When your dinning... Just everywhere. You will want to start with pins you don't care for... Otherwise it's hard to trade.. If they are all your favorite.

So things to buy ahead of time:

Sun screen
Camera supplies (batteries & memory)
Glow sticks (necklaces & bracelets)
Rain ponchos (I've done this but never end up using them)
Pins pins pins (they have nice and cool lanyards on property ..so I'd wait n pick one there)
Small light up toys for night shows
Autograph book and large pen
Defiantly a princess dress... U should be able to save a fortune on pre-buying that
I liked to get my girls a Disney blanket and maybe stuffed animal for the plane ride... Then they'd have that the whole trip and not want every stuffed animal they saw there.

Call me bad... But is get them these things for gifts for every occasion up till trip day (Easter basket, birthdays Christmas.... Whatever occasion that came up) it built their excitement

I also tried to think of all the small things that may be needed ... Like Tylenol, moleskin, pepto, toiletries, the batteries, sun block .... And such.... And break it up n buy a little each month instead of in one swoop right before the trip. That stuff adds up!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter