What are your favorites at Napa Rose?

A blend of big reds: Cab, Merlot, Malbec. Surprisingly not bad. Paired well with the course. But, you know, the real cool factor was that it was Lasseter's wine. I thought it was a really fun and very Disney touch.

We are about to leave on the next Pixar Cal Coast cruise and are doing an excursion to Lasseter winery in Sonoma. I'm glad to hear the wine is good! I'm sure the excursion would be spectacular even if the wine was not but that certainly helps.

I haven't been to Napa Rose yet, but now I'm thinking maybe I should call and see if they have any openings for the weekend we're going to the Halloween party. You're making me hungry :)

I'm so glad you are doing the chef's counter. Fingers crossed you get Chef Alex! He's always been super generous with the courses. One time they were doing a private party and we were admiring this lobster balls in a martini glass dish. Alex grabbed one for us to try. Bonus course!! lol.

DH and I have had tons of different dishes at the rose. Favorites have been the rib eye, the boar cassoulet, the rabbit, and of course, the scallops. Be warned though, we tend to want wheel barrow service home after eating at the Rose. So many wonderful things to eat.

The neatest part though is watching them prepare everything. I always feel bad for the girls who make the desserts. They are never very chatty, because all their work is so delicate and has to be perfect and done so quickly.

Enjoy! So jealous...

Sounds like you will have seat 4 or 5 since the chef is usually there by the "pass", expediting service. Those are good seats. :)

Normally, when you arrive the chef will greet you and ask what you would like to do, order from the menu or have them select your courses. If you have them select they try to get a feel for what you like and ask about allergies or foods you want to avoid. If you have any special requests, now is the time. They will ask how you like your meat prepared and if you want the wine pairing. Shortly after that, the amuse will appear and the chef will come over when each dish is served and explain what you are eating. Your server and chef will consult on the wine pairings. You are free to ask questions of the chefs and others in the kitchen ( within reason of course).

I have eaten at NR 5 times and done the Chef's Counter 4 times. I am pretty sure they keep track of what I have had because neither myself nor my husband has ever had a repeat dish. They also know us by name at the counter and welcome us back. That is service you don't see much anymore. Have fun!

Thanks for walking me through what happens after being seated! I will definitely be asking for the customized menu for me - can't wait!!

A blend of big reds: Cab, Merlot, Malbec. Surprisingly not bad. Paired well with the course. But, you know, the real cool factor was that it was Lasseter's wine. I thought it was a really fun and very Disney touch.

We are about to leave on the next Pixar Cal Coast cruise and are doing an excursion to Lasseter winery in Sonoma. I'm glad to hear the wine is good! I'm sure the excursion would be spectacular even if the wine was not but that certainly helps.

I haven't been to Napa Rose yet, but now I'm thinking maybe I should call and see if they have any openings for the weekend we're going to the Halloween party. You're making me hungry :)

Will have to try a glass!

I'm so glad you are doing the chef's counter. Fingers crossed you get Chef Alex! He's always been super generous with the courses. One time they were doing a private party and we were admiring this lobster balls in a martini glass dish. Alex grabbed one for us to try. Bonus course!! lol.

DH and I have had tons of different dishes at the rose. Favorites have been the rib eye, the boar cassoulet, the rabbit, and of course, the scallops. Be warned though, we tend to want wheel barrow service home after eating at the Rose. So many wonderful things to eat.

The neatest part though is watching them prepare everything. I always feel bad for the girls who make the desserts. They are never very chatty, because all their work is so delicate and has to be perfect and done so quickly.

Enjoy! So jealous...

I'll make sure to "pipe up" if I see anything that looks good that I would like to get a sample of :goodvibes

A couple of more questions:

How does the wine pairing work? I know it costs extra - are they pairing a glass of wine with each course/dish?

I'm most likely going to be heading over to NR straight from the Park. What kind of expectations are there as far as how I should dress for the restaurant and the counter? Are "nice jeans" and a collared shirt acceptable?

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

DaveinFallsChurch said:
A couple of more questions:

How does the wine pairing work? I know it costs extra - are they pairing a glass of wine with each course/dish?

I'm most likely going to be heading over to NR straight from the Park. What kind of expectations are there as far as how I should dress for the restaurant and the counter? Are "nice jeans" and a collared shirt acceptable?

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

I think the wine pairing is $50, but I am not 100% on that. They do pair a glass with each course. I have had the chef and the server on different occasions ask about my likes and dislikes regarding wine, so they may share duties when it comes to that. I normally give them free reign and enjoy my pairings very much.

There is no dress code for the restaurant and you will see all manner of dress. There will be lots of other people wearing jeans. Personally, I dress up a little more, but that is entirely a preference and not a requirement. NR knows they are next to a theme park and I haven't seen them treat anyone differently based on what they are wearing.

I think the wine pairing is $50, but I am not 100% on that. They do pair a glass with each course. I have had the chef and the server on different occasions ask about my likes and dislikes regarding wine, so they may share duties when it comes to that. I normally give them free reign and enjoy my pairings very much.

There is no dress code for the restaurant and you will see all manner of dress. There will be lots of other people wearing jeans. Personally, I dress up a little more, but that is entirely a preference and not a requirement. NR knows they are next to a theme park and I haven't seen them treat anyone differently based on what they are wearing.

Thanks again! That might be too much wine for me if I get a new glass with each course. Will probably get one glass for the meal.

I've been there once. My seat was seat 4. Great watching the guy working the scallops station. What's your preferences on that side or the other side of the pass?

DaveinFallsChurch said:
Thanks again! That might be too much wine for me if I get a new glass with each course. Will probably get one glass for the meal.

The pairing glasses aren't as full as a normal glass, but yes, it is a lot of wine by the end of dinner. :)

The Chefs counter at Napa Rose is an experience not to be missed. After reading this post I want to go now! I'll have to wait until my reservation on 10/13 though. The Scallops are to die for and the fillet is amazing. Everything else is just outstanding. The vintners menu is a good way to sample different items but having the chefs cook for you is the best. The wine package is $45 and is a half pour for each course and you can request wines too. The chefs counter is divided into three sections. Seats 1-4 (the cheese counter) is a great view of appetizers and seafood, Seats 5-8 is the meat section and deserts. seats 9-12 are around the corner and can really only see the deserts. Executive Chef Andrew Sutton is a great host and chef Alex is great although he is a Dodger fan but I can overlook that. Can't recommend it enough. :firefight

I've been there once. My seat was seat 4. Great watching the guy working the scallops station. What's your preferences on that side or the other side of the pass?

Personally, I like the 5-8 seats only because I can watch the main courses go out and the desserts! But 1-4 are not bad seats at all. ;)

That's probably a smart move. The chef's counter was definitely our most memorable experience, but the wine pairing was a bit much. I was told it would be a 2 oz pour per course. I'm thinking...okay....that's a lot of wine, but I want to try this. I had amazing wines, something to this day that I can't remember the name of, but rivaled Silver Oak. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was given a full glass of wine with every course!!! Oh my, made for a painful next day.

DH and I are talking about taking my folks to the Chef's Counter (we're still talking about that experience 4 years later) and then I'll share the wine pairing with my dad. :rotfl:

Have an amazing time!!!

The Chefs counter at Napa Rose is an experience not to be missed. After reading this post I want to go now! I'll have to wait until my reservation on 10/13 though. The Scallops are to die for and the fillet is amazing. Everything else is just outstanding. The vintners menu is a good way to sample different items but having the chefs cook for you is the best. The wine package is $45 and is a half pour for each course and you can request wines too. The chefs counter is divided into three sections. Seats 1-4 (the cheese counter) is a great view of appetizers and seafood, Seats 5-8 is the meat section and deserts. seats 9-12 are around the corner and can really only see the deserts. Executive Chef Andrew Sutton is a great host and chef Alex is great although he is a Dodger fan but I can overlook that. Can't recommend it enough. :firefight

Personally, I like the 5-8 seats only because I can watch the main courses go out and the desserts! But 1-4 are not bad seats at all. ;)

I'll have to pay attention to the views of each seating area when I'm there so that if I ever get to try this again, will know what seats to request. Sounds like though that I'll have a very decent spot if I am indeed seat 4 or 5.

The pairing glasses aren't as full as a normal glass, but yes, it is a lot of wine by the end of dinner. :)

That's probably a smart move. The chef's counter was definitely our most memorable experience, but the wine pairing was a bit much. I was told it would be a 2 oz pour per course. I'm thinking...okay....that's a lot of wine, but I want to try this. I had amazing wines, something to this day that I can't remember the name of, but rivaled Silver Oak. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was given a full glass of wine with every course!!! Oh my, made for a painful next day.

DH and I are talking about taking my folks to the Chef's Counter (we're still talking about that experience 4 years later) and then I'll share the wine pairing with my dad. :rotfl:

Have an amazing time!!!

Thank you!

My alcohol tolerance is pretty pathetic :lmao: so I usually need to watch how much I take in. I really want to enjoy and savor the food and too much wine for me might get me in trouble for doing that. Plus, I have to walk back to my offsite hotel at Anaheim Plaza! ;)

Does anyone know how far in advance you can book the Chef's Counter? It is VERY important to me to do this. My DH always plans special surprises for me at WDW, so I want to do this for him at DL. Thanks!

tchrrx said:
Does anyone know how far in advance you can book the Chef's Counter? It is VERY important to me to do this. My DH always plans special surprises for me at WDW, so I want to do this for him at DL. Thanks!

I think you can reserve the Chef's counter 30 days out, but I would call them to be sure. I have never made a reservation more then 3 weeks out. And you do need to call the restaurant directly, not Disney dining.

You can often book the chef's counter up to 90 days in advance. They will let you book as soon as they get their calendar for the month you want, and they put their calendars together MUCH earlier than Disney puts theirs out! Be sure to call Napa Rose directly though because Disney Dining can only book 60 days in advance and you also cannot reserve the chef's counter through Disney Dining either, just the regular restaurant seating. :)

If you call the normal Disney dine number, you can ask them to put your through to the Rose, no worries there, but there may not be anyone answering if you call early in the day.

We've done the counter a half a dozen or so times, doing it again the week of Thanksgiving.

Never had a bad anything there.....

Chef Sutton is spending a lot of time at the Carthay Circle, so he may not be at the Rose a lot going forward.

The Circle's menu and service, once they mature, will be on a par I think with the Rose....time will tell!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter