What are the rules with "Confession" & police reporting?

Only in their belief, no where will their belief overrule the law of the city or country they are in, and they will suffer the consequences of refusing to comply with the law.
Difference between openly admitting to a crime and expecting it to be kept private, in my opinion if you want that private then you should keep your mouth shut.
Agree entirely! It’s kinda crazy actually that there is any protection at all for confessing a murder, whether it be to a spouse, clergy, therapist or whatever.

The spouse thing is confusing. I always understood it to mean you can’t be compelled to testify against your spouse not that you couldn’t. You see spouses testifying against each other or turning each other in on shows like Dateline all the time.

Years ago a former coworker’s SIL walked into a shop and never came back out. Eventually the shop owner’s wife went to police and told them he bashed the girl in the head and forced her (the wife) to help dispose of the body. She also took police to where the body was buried. He plead out so she didn’t testify but he was charged and convicted largely because the wife rolled on him.
https://www.apnews.com/cf337d67341ef19596c9edc585a937dc

Difference between openly admitting to a crime and expecting it to be kept private, in my opinion if you want that private then you should keep your mouth shut.
It's def. a moral quandry. At the same time I think a huge concern is if there wasn't some sort of expectation of privacy things may be kept in the dark completely. Lesser of the two evils if you will.

In terms of psychologists to use an example according to the APA (American Psychological Association):
  • Psychologists may disclose private information without consent in order to protect the patient or the public from serious harm — if, for example, a client discusses plans to attempt suicide or harm another person.
  • Psychologists are required to report ongoing domestic violence, abuse or neglect of children, the elderly or people with disabilities. (However, if an adult discloses that he or she was abused as a child, the psychologist typically isn't bound to report that abuse, unless there are other children continuing to be abused.)
  • Psychologists may release information if they receive a court order. That might happen if a person's mental health came into question during legal proceedings.
At the same time concern over loss of trust I'm sure is a big one.

It could vary by state law but according to the APA they use the wording "may" disclose vs required to disclose when it comes to protection of the patient or the public. I don't know if that's intentional or not in the usage of the wording. They use the wording "may" also when it comes to court order to so again not sure if that's intentional or not.

If you can make the accusation I've represented myself as a lawyer, surely you can back it up with proof for everyone to see.

Oh please! :rolleyes: There have been many times where a DIS newbie has said they thought you are a lawyer and you didn't correct them. Lying by omission or insinuation is still Years ago, you used to have the integrity to openly say you aren't a lawyer. Now, the only time you mention it is when an old-timer who knows you aren't, brings it up.

I have no idea what an "actual lawyer" might be.

Okaaay. Well, that explains why you'd take credit, even through omission, for something you haven't earned.

Actual lawyer: someone who has taken and passed the bar exam. Someone who is licensed in a state or more to practice law. Someone you are not.

Bored with this thread. I'm out of here.

It's def. a moral quandry. At the same time I think a huge concern is if there wasn't some sort of expectation of privacy things may be kept in the dark completely. Lesser of the two evils if you will.

In terms of psychologists to use an example according to the APA (American Psychological Association):
  • Psychologists may disclose private information without consent in order to protect the patient or the public from serious harm — if, for example, a client discusses plans to attempt suicide or harm another person.
  • Psychologists are required to report ongoing domestic violence, abuse or neglect of children, the elderly or people with disabilities. (However, if an adult discloses that he or she was abused as a child, the psychologist typically isn't bound to report that abuse, unless there are other children continuing to be abused.)
  • Psychologists may release information if they receive a court order. That might happen if a person's mental health came into question during legal proceedings.
At the same time concern over loss of trust I'm sure is a big one.

It could vary by state law but according to the APA they use the wording "may" disclose vs required to disclose when it comes to protection of the patient or the public. I don't know if that's intentional or not in the usage of the wording. They use the wording "may" also when it comes to court order to so again not sure if that's intentional or not.

I think when confessing to murder there should be not expectation of privacy.
As far as the lesser of two evils, the only person that a confession without consequence helps if the murderer.They dont deserve to feel better about it.
If they really want to confess, they should do so to the police.
I would think it would be causing distress to the person he has confessed to who is unable to report it.
It certainly doesnt help the victim or their loved ones.

I think when confessing to murder there should be not expectation of privacy.
As far as the lesser of two evils, the only person that a confession without consequence helps if the murderer.They dont deserve to feel better about it.
If they really want to confess, they should do so to the police.
I would think it would be causing distress to the person he has confessed to who is unable to report it.
It certainly doesnt help the victim or their loved ones.
Certainly knowing something on a very serious level like murder or abuse and having the information be considered privilaged is something that can weigh on someone morally. In terms of professions it goes with the territory and can be a reason someone opts not to go into that profession.

And the other stuff it's not that I don't disagree with what you're saying; however I do think if it were not the case there would be at least some cases where no closure occured if it was never discussed. I mean this in a situation where past crimes have led to imminent crimes that would fall under the exceptions to the ethnical codes psychologists (just using them as an example) so at least it is known rather than never known because the person won't verbalize if no information is considered privilaged.

I wonder what the totals are. Meaning how many people actually literally confess a crime to either their lawyer, counselor or clergy? I'm guessing lawyers the most, counselors some, and clergy I bet its actually very rare.

Oh please! :rolleyes: There have been many times where a DIS newbie has said they thought you are a lawyer and you didn't correct them. Lying by omission or insinuation is still Years ago, you used to have the integrity to openly say you aren't a lawyer. Now, the only time you mention it is when an old-timer who knows you aren't, brings it up.

Okaaay. Well, that explains why you'd take credit, even through omission, for something you haven't earned.

Actual lawyer: someone who has taken and passed the bar exam. Someone who is licensed in a state or more to practice law. Someone you are not.

Bored with this thread. I'm out of here.

Every time someone has asked or suggested I am a lawyer I have stated that I am not. You're more than welcome to show everyone here where you claim I have not done so. I have never suggested in any way I am a lawyer -- in any way, period.

You either are or are not a lawyer and there's no need for actual to come into it. It's black and white. I'm not in the least confused about that.

Bored with the thread or simply cannot back up your hatchet job on me with any proof?

ETA: It's interesting that all I had to do was disagree with your notion that TV shows are a great representation of actual law and how it works and how you've chosen to respond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter