What are some good side dishes to go along with spaghetti?

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
We are serving dinner to both adults, and kids at a gathering. We have tossed salad, rolls, desserts, different pastas, and sauces..... What other simple side dishes could we make that could possibly be made the day or night before?

We usually do it with garlic bread and salad. Thats it. If I have a large gathering I might have different toppings available (I.e. Sausage, meatballs, veggie sauce etc..)

Well, i was going to suggest steamed broccoli but that would need to be made right before dinner. Perhaps some fresh fruit would be nice.

Hmm..that is a hard one because spaghetti is kind of an all in one kind of meal. What about brushetta with olive oil and prosciutto or with a tomato salad that can be made the night before and then topped on the roasted bread. There is also garlic bread. My SIL likes to serve spaghetti with a side of roasted zucchini, carrots and green beans so people can mix it in the sauce if they want.

An antipasta platter? With different kinds of olives, sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese, artichokes, salami, etc.

We are serving dinner to both adults, and kids at a gathering. We have tossed salad, rolls, desserts, different pastas, and sauces..... What other simple side dishes could we make that could possibly be made the day or night before?

The dishes are completely dependent on the types of pasta. In short, I suggest meat balls, sausage.

For an Italian Meal here is your order

Anti-pasta
Pasta
Salad
Desert
Limoncello.

For antipasta, you can have cold cuts like dry hard salami, capicolla, provolone, mortadella, with peppers and a good drizzle of olive oil

If you want a light anti-pasta, stuffed celery (I use a mix of blue and cream cheese), marinated shrooms, olives and artichoke hearts, carrot sticks, maybe some cardoni's (breaded zuccini, fried)

The anti pasta is server chilled.

We love canned or frozen corn along side our spaghetti, and garlic bread. :)

I think you have it covered with the pasta, salad, bread, and dessert :confused3. Make sure the bread is fresh and there is plenty of it :).

I would definitely go with antipasto, meatballs, sausage, salad and garlic bread. The meatballs and sausage can be made the night before and heated in gravy before dinner.

Sounds a little weird and is certainly nothing special, but DH's family loves cottage cheese with spaghetti.

debg

Grilled veggies. You can grill zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, peppers, etc. the day before. Dress them with a bit of vinaigrette right before serving. They are great warm, cold, or room temp.

we usually do salad and garlic bread. But I do love green beans or brussel sprouts with spaghetti, too!

we usually do salad and garlic bread. But I do love green beans or brussel sprouts with spaghetti, too!

We do green beans too.

Fresh, not canned. Boil them until aldente, submerge in cold water to keep color and stop cooking. Then right before serving, put back in boiling water to finish cooking them, drain, drizzle with very good extra virgin olive oil, juice from half a fresh squeezed lemon, and kosher salt. I also use the lemon rind (not the pith) and mix.

Sounds a little weird and is certainly nothing special, but DH's family loves cottage cheese with spaghetti.

debg

Not weird to me...my mom did that when we were kids...makes it creamy and delicious (IMO).:)

I usually have Italian flat green beans and bread sticks with ours. Sometimes I substitute a tossed salad for the green beans.

Not weird to me...my mom did that when we were kids...makes it creamy and delicious (IMO).:)

Forgot about that! Sometimes I do serve it with cottage cheese. It's yummy all mixed up. I also love cottage cheese mixed in with scrambled eggs.

Forgot about that! Sometimes I do serve it with cottage cheese. It's yummy all mixed up. I also love cottage cheese mixed in with scrambled eggs.

Oh, no mixing in for DH's family - it's served as a side, just like a vegetable. I do have a couple ziti recipes that call for it to be mixed in though.

debg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter