What are some good gifts for our CMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cash. They really don't have room or want any cute gifts .

Maybe polling ALL cast members would be helpful instead of ASSUMING that they don't appreciate some of the small tokens that guests have given them along with a tip. Honestly, I can't believe how many people on these boards are so against extra tokens of appreciation. Do you ALWAYS get exactly what you want? I was brought up, that it is the thought that counts and as long as they are getting the tip outlined by the cruise line, I personally don't see the harm.

sue said:
BEWARE, I posted something very similar to this about a month ago and I wished I never posted it. Some people can be very nasty about this subject. I totally agree with what you are asking for , just saying others won't and they are NOT afraid to speak their minds.

I see this... There are givers and takers in life. You can never be both.

On a recent cruise, we were told by 2 separate CMs that during their time off they were making a b-line right to their "favorite store" .... WalMart. At the time I did a bit of a mental head slap and thought, "DUH ... gift cards!!" Over and above the recommended gratuities, we also gave cash in the envelope on the last night.

No flames please but I think it's always best to just give cash. I know there are lots of reports here that CM's are gushing with gratitude over little trinkets and tokens but how else are they supposed to act, he / she can't very well say what may be on his/her mind. I am sure many of us have received gifts that we don't want / need but have acted like it was the best gift ever in front of the giver, so as not to hurt their feelings. Just my 2 cents.:goodvibes

Cash! Cash in a box! Cash in a bag! Cash in an envelope! Make a cute little Pinterest crafty item but include some Cash! Doesn't matter as long as it's Cash. Cash!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Here is the thing...

Most CMs on a cruise are of another culture and in most cultures, a "gift" is synonymous with giving "cash".

In the case of giving cash to people who are working, it is VERY thoughtful. Giving trinkets is not thoughtful. Just because you thought about something to buy and wrapping it with a bow or tissue paper does not make it thoughtful. Yes, it does make for a rather pretty presentation, but I think if I were a CM who was away from family to make money to send home, I would be thinking "I hope there is cash in there or a card that will help in my rehiring or promotion".

Giving cash in this case is very thoughtful.

in most cultures, a "gift" is synonymous with giving "cash".

This sounds like so much bunk! Please point to the research that proves that "in most cultures the only thing considered a gift is cash"

I've visited many places on this planet earth and that is the first time I've ever heard that statement!

To the OP - do not feel bad about all the replies you are getting. This topic always brings out the people who believe cash is the only option - and they make it clear if you do not agree with them you are wrong.

Most of us who whould post our thoughts and ideas on this subject have stopped posting because we are basically told we are idiots. These people claim that thier "friend" is a CM or a CM on the ship told them they do not like the gifts but are just money grubbing greedy individuals who really care nothing for the passengers.

That is supposed to make think it is true - no matter how many other people post that they have a "friend" who is a CM or where told bt many CMs on the ship that they truly enjoy the little gifts people give them - as long as it is in addition to and not instead of the money tips!

I'm appalled that the DISBoards has done nothing to stop this group from hi-jacking every thread about this and belittling people for what many consider a woderful, thoughtful thing (and there are many CMs that enjoy the gifts).

I read through an older post on this and someone mentioned giving away their door magnets at the end of the cruise. Or making up some specifically for them that say "thank you" This sounds like a nice small addition to the !!!EXTRA CASH!!! And Positive comment report we will be giving. Maybe they will decorate their room with it. Maybe they'll send it to a loved one. Maybe they'll toss it. But my kids and I will have fun making and sharing them.

This sounds like so much bunk! Please point to the research that proves that "in most cultures the only thing considered a gift is cash"

I've visited many places on this planet earth and that is the first time I've ever heard that statement!

To the OP - do not feel bad about all the replies you are getting. This topic always brings out the people who believe cash is the only option - and they make it clear if you do not agree with them you are wrong.

Most of us who whould post our thoughts and ideas on this subject have stopped posting because we are basically told we are idiots. These people claim that thier "friend" is a CM or a CM on the ship told them they do not like the gifts but are just money grubbing greedy individuals who really care nothing for the passengers.

That is supposed to make think it is true - no matter how many other people post that they have a "friend" who is a CM or where told bt many CMs on the ship that they truly enjoy the little gifts people give them - as long as it is in addition to and not instead of the money tips!

I'm appalled that the DISBoards has done nothing to stop this group from hi-jacking every thread about this and belittling people for what many consider a woderful, thoughtful thing (and there are many CMs that enjoy the gifts).

I don't think anyone has said the OP was wrong. The truth of the matter is CMs have limited space and it is impossible for a guest to know what a CM would like as a gift. If they truly want or need something, the can use the cash to purchase it.

Besides giving a good tip, the next best thing you could do for a CM would be to make sure their employer knows that you thing they did an exceptional job.

My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to offend or apply judgement to your desire to get little trinkets or gifts for cast members. Of course you should do whatever you wish to do and enjoy yourself doing it. I just wanted to let you know the experience for my family when my husband receives trinkets/gifts. Obviously, just expressing my opinion.

I do want to suggest that whatever you decide to do, you also consider writing a personal letter to DCL if you encounter an exceptional cast member. We had an awesome Stateroom Host and I wrote a letter and enclosed a picture of him making a towel animal with my daughter. I even received a letter back from DCL expressing their appreciation for my letter.

Travel safely, have fun and do whatever gives you joy,

Omg. Chill.

I didn't do any research except thru my life experiences...just like you. Plus, I am of another culture who has lived (not visited) overseas off and on throughout my life. All I am saying is that in other cultures, there is no taboo when giving or receiving cash. It is said to be impersonal, when in other cultures, it is not.

Nobody is an idiot for posting their opinions. I'm sorry you felt that someone may have called you that. And please, do not misquote me by putting quotes around your own words.

But I did offer nice stationary as a gift idea. ::yes::

Maybe polling ALL cast members would be helpful instead of ASSUMING that they don't appreciate some of the small tokens that guests have given them along with a tip. Honestly, I can't believe how many people on these boards are so against extra tokens of appreciation. Do you ALWAYS get exactly what you want? I was brought up, that it is the thought that counts and as long as they are getting the tip outlined by the cruise line, I personally don't see the harm.

I agree. I'm in the boat of people who read these threads, but try not to get involved (I read every page of your other thread and am sorry I didn't stand up to defend you then). But I do wonder how many CMs would like a gift card, a phone card, or a bag of candy. If what everyone assumes about CMs is true - that they are all working to support a family in another country, wouldn't you think they would want something for themselves every once and a while? I know when I was a totally broke college student if someone gave me a check or cash (birthday, Christmas, whatever), I paid bills with it. If someone gave me a candy bar or some bubble bath, I was happy to have something for me that I didn't feel obligated to pay bills with. I didn't curse under my breath that they should have given me cash because I was broke. Maybe these folks would feel the same and appreciate a small gift (as well as their tip). I think the DIS people are a very small percentage of the total guests on board, so it's not as if they would be getting hundreds of gifts per cruise. Just my two cents.

In the case of giving cash to people who are working, it is VERY thoughtful. Giving trinkets is not thoughtful. Just because you thought about something to buy and wrapping it with a bow or tissue paper does not make it thoughtful.

Please give your definition of thoughtful as you contradicted yourself. Perhaps you meant practical?

Giving something to someone in appreciation and the ability of the receiver to use the gift/appreciate the gift are two separate things. The giver was well-meaning in the gift even if it was not practical.

As far as something to give to the CMs, I would agree with extra cash and add a handwritten note. They would be able to use it for whatever purposes and also know they were appreciated. Unless of course, they mentioned something they missed and you were able to get it in port. That would work two. :thumbsup2

I read through an older post on this and someone mentioned giving away their door magnets at the end of the cruise. Or making up some specifically for them that say "thank you" This sounds like a nice small addition to the !!!EXTRA CASH!!! And Positive comment report we will be giving. Maybe they will decorate their room with it. Maybe they'll send it to a loved one. Maybe they'll toss it. But my kids and I will have fun making and sharing them.

Yes, I read thru that thread too and like the idea of giving them your door magnets especially ones that are Disney generic so that the CMs can give them to the next family coming onboard. This could earn them extra points and thus getting a bigger tip from that family.

You know what? THAT is exactly what I will do!

Since people can't ask questions without getting jumped on I am closing this thread.

Really people.:furious:

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter