What are reservation points?

Dreams14

Earning My Ears
I've heard about "reservation points" on the boards, and am confused between those and regular points - are there different "reservation point" charts for the other Disney resorts (aside from deluxe villas)?

My plan is to take my family of five to DW in June 2008 - trying to figure out best way to do that cost-wise as well as magic-wise... :magnify:

I have a famliy of 5, and it will be the first trip for two kiddos, and I'm looking to make it wonderful for everyone! Any advice would be wonderful!:listen:

A bit confused,
Rae

Reservation Points are DVC points commited for use at non-DVC options (other resorts, cruises and adventures). Once used for these options they can no longer be used for any DVC resorts.

You'll want to post a request for your dates on the DVC Rent/Trade Board - but you should realize that using DVC points at non-DVC resorts is not a good rental value as the points needed is considerably higher than similar accommodations at DVC resorts. In many cases you can likely reserve the same non-DVC room thru CRO for less than thru a DVC member.

I'll move this to the DVC Planning board for more comment.

Welcome to the DIS! :)

If your plan is for next month you may find limited choices on DVC units available at this late date. Just so you know. Good luck!

When a DVC Member uses their points somewhere other than a DVC resort, such as for the Disney Collection, for example, which includes non-DVC resorts like the Contemporary & Poly and hotels at Disneyland California/Paris/Hong Kong/Tokyo, their vacation points are converted to reservation points. If they cancel that Disney Collection vacation, their points remain as reservation points and cannot be used at a DVC resort.

The points charts for the Disney Collection, Adventure Collection, and World Passport collection could therefore be considered "Reservation Point" charts instead of "Vacation Point" charts if you want to think about it that way. As Doc has already said, you're not going to want to rent points from a member to book on one of these collections, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter