What age is too young for the DIS?

TiggerCat

Mouseketeer
My DD (11) wants to have an account on these boards so she can post to some of the different forums. Being an overprotective DF, I of course said that I would have to consider the matter. Well this was quite sometime ago and I can't seem to make up my mind - and of course she continues to push me for an answer! :rolleyes1 One part of me wants her to be able to take part in some of the fantastic posts that are made here but then there are the questionable posts that you see from time to time. I realize that I must make the decision but I am very much interested in hearing what you might think about the subject. Comments anyone? :Pinkbounc

TC.

maybe if you sat with her when she was on or posting or reading post if you have the time

well, honestly, I'm not sure I'd want 11 year olds answering my posts..they tend to view the world with different eyes but they have a teen board on Dis, would she enjoy that?

It's funny, DD kept bugging me and bugging! Then I finally let her sign up and low and behold.......I don't think she's been here but the one time!LOL

Now she is bugging me for MSN, but after talking with some of the mothers tonight, well, I think I will wait on that one!

Scratch

I let both my girls sign up when they we 13. I ask them to stay on the teen board or they can ask a question on another board- but I also don't want them answering too many questions.

I, for one, wouldn't really care if they were on the boards. There is a teen board on here for a reason. Additionally, as a person who has been frequenting the boards on here for some time, I think I would be able to decipher an experienced WDW traveller and mature Dis'er compared to an adolescent. I don't have children, so I can't really speak from experience, but like mrFDNY said, I would sit her down and inform her of the rules of the computer and ask her not to respond to a post unless she absolutely can provide a sound and reasonable response.
Additionally, maybe ask her to choose a user name that reflects her age (I know, this should be her decision), or perhaps, have a signature with her age in it (i.e.: I'm only 11 and have been to WDW 10 times!). Also let her know that she is only able to visit certain threads - teen board, canadian board, etc. to keep her from venturing into unwanted areas (not that their is on these boards, but just in case you prefer that). Also, let her know that she is only alloted a certain amount of time each week on the boards.
I, for one, would rather have my child on a discussion site that I frequent too. MSN and yahoo sometimes can have pretty risky topics, so I prefer to see them interested in something more like this.
Just my opinion,
Jo

Thanks for all of the great advice! :thewave:

I think I will allow her to post on the Teen Board with a little supervision and I will see where that leads. This should keep both of us happy. Now if I could only get DW interested in this board we could make it a family affair. :earboy2:

Thanks again and have a Disney day!!!! :sunny:

TC.

I think she's too young. There are very adult things discussed here sometimes. Things that she either will not understand or that she shouldn't see.

I think that if she agrees to stay with the teen board when you are not monitoring posts then she would really enjoy it. Like most things in an eleven year olds life however, she will probably tire of it quickly.

You might also want to set some general online rules like:

1) You don't give your full name and description.

2) You don't tell people where exactly you go to school, or your home address.

3) Always be polite, no cursing or attacking other people's opinions.

4) If there are any problems or concerns about other posters, always tell a parent. Just because someone says they are an 11 yr old girl from your home town who just wants to get together for ice cream, doesn't mean they are.

Be safe, be happy. puckerup:

More great comments! Thanks again. I am still trying to muddle my way through this but it seems much clearer thanks to all of these posts. I will make sure that I spend some "quality" time with my DD and explain the trials and tribulations of being online. While I am still concerned I think that I would rather have her posting here than to some of the chat groups her friends are posting to. Besides, it nice to have something in common with her because I know that in a few years she will deny I even exist. Oh, the teenage years!!!!

TC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter