We've been to Japan....Now a TR!

aussie shaz

DIS Veteran
:flower:So, as some of you would remember, I've finally booked my trip to Japan. There will be me, hubby and 2 sons, ages 12 and 14 (turning 15 while we're there).

I originally thought about going to Japan, only because DS14 has wanted to go for forever. He loves all things anime, manga, robots, weird! At one stage, I stupidly said 'yes, we'll go one day'. Now, any mother knows when you make a promise, even a very vague one, you really need to keep it.

We'd done Bali twice last year, and I had booked a hotel to go again this year, changing things up a bit and doing some places we hadn't done before. I had looked into Japan and thought it was just too expensive, and maybe I could get away with taking him when he could actually pay for himself. LOL.

Where I work, it's really hard to get any holidays, let alone school holidays. Things came into alignment with my leave and hubbys where we could both have Easter off this year. Of course, that means mild weather and cherry blossoms in Japan. I just couldn't let the chance slip by, and maybe not get holidays at this time of year again. So I scrapped Bali and started making plans for Japan.

So, I've booked flights with Jetstar, direct from Melbourne. I'm really not keen on Jetstar, but we prefer to fly direct and they are the only option. The flight over is overnight, so lack of meals won't worry us. The flight home leaves Tokyo at 12.15pm and gets in at midnight. Not sure yet what we'll do for food. I might order something for the plane, or might just get something at the airport before we leave to get us through the flight. What I really hate is the fact that Jetstar have you over a barrel concerning drinks. We can't take our own on the plane, so we have to pay the exorbitant prices that they charge. If the flights were cheaper, I don't really mind, but having paid nearly the same amount as to LAX with Virgin, I'd have loved some free drinks:mic:

We arrive into Tokyo at about 8am, and will either take the Airport limobus or the NEX train to Shinjuku. Haven't really decided yet. With the limobus we don't have to worry about working out the train system straight away, but it doesn't drop off to the hotel. We'll still have to walk from the station to our hotel. NEX will also go to the station, but it might be a bit quicker.

Anyway, we'll have 4 nights at the Blossom Hotel near Shinjuku station. It's only a couple of years old, and apparently in a great location. Have booked 2 twin rooms, as doubles are often tiny and the bed is not even the size of a normal double.

In Tokyo we plan to visit Akihabara, which is where all the electronics etc are. Harajuku, which is the young people's shopping and hangout, where we might see some Cosplayers. My son is into Cosplay, and he'd also love to go to a Maid Cafe. We'll see about that! O'Daiba which is on a man made island. There are a few shopping centres, but we're mainly going there for Miraikan (the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation) This is where Asimo lives, and they have an area all about robots. O'Daiba also has Sega Joypolis, which is obviously a Sega theme park type place. They also have the giant Gundam and Gundam cafe. We'll also do the normal touristy stuff in Tokyo like shrines, parks etc.

We then take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Osaka. I mainly wanted to go to Osaka for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, but of course we'll have to do Kyoto while we're down that way. We have 4 nights at the Hotel Claiton Shin Osaka. I struggled with accommodation here as I was worried about getting to/from the Shinkansen with all of our luggage. I didn't really want to be dragging suitcases on local trains if I could help it. Therefore, I decided to stay at Shin Osaka as this is where the Shinkansen leaves from. Problem is, it's not really near the main area of Osaka. It's only a couple of train stops away, but not walkable to anything as far as I can see. We'll also have to change trains 3 times to get to Universal Studios, which is a pain. Oh well, it was cheap (relatively) and we'll get over it.

Now, as Universal was one of the main reasons we were going to Osaka, I needed to work out tickets. It's all well and good to buy admission tickets (which are date specific), but this doesn't guarantee you entry to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I read that you need a timed entry ticket, or you may not get into the world. 3 ways to do this....1/Be there very early (the locals are there more than an hour before park opens) and RUN to the entry of the world. 2/Buy Express entry tickets at the gate (same problem as No 1, due to the Express passes running out) and 3/Buy Express passes prior to arriving into Japan. Great, you say, why not do that. Well, the only teeny tiny problem is that you have to order them from the Japanese website....and I remember nothing of my Japanese lessons from Year 7. So, what do I do? Yep, that's right, I order them from the Japanese website, praying everything is right. This morning they have released the tickets for April, which is at the start of the 15th Anniversary 'REBOOOOOOOORN' year. They are also opening a new ride called the Jurassic Park Flying Dinosaur. It's apparently the worlds longest flying coaster. So, I purchased the Express 7 pass. This gets you timed entry into Harry Potter World, express pass onto the 2 Harry Potter rides, express onto the new Dinosaur ride, and Express onto 4 other rides.
I am just so relieved I got them as they apparently sell out really quickly, and I just hope that they will let us in with them:worship:

Anyway, my son turns 15 while we are in Osaka. I would have loved to go to USJ on his birthday, but the Tuesday on the crowd calendar was much lower crowds, and when I went to buy the Express passes, they were also quite a bit cheaper on the Tuesday. So we'll do Kyoto on the Monday, doing the cherry blossom areas. I think on Sunday we'll spend the day looking around Osaka. We'll also book at half day bike tour on this day which will be something a bit different to just wandering ourselves. Hopefully I can actually ride a bike. I did email them to make sure there's no big hills, and if there are, could I walk up them!! Yep, I'm allowed to walk.

We then return by Shinkansen to Disney! Yay!
We should arrive at about lunchtime on the Wenesday. I was going to buy 2 days tickets for the Thursday and Friday, but decided I would squeeze in another half day (can't we always). This also allows us to go to Disneyland for the first half day, Disney Sea for the next full day, and park hop on the third day. Otherwise , with a 2 day pass, you can't hop, who have to have only one day at each.

I've booked a quad room at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. This was our cheapest hotel by far. I got an amazing price direct with the hotel.

So that's about it. Sorry if I raved too much. Hopefully I'll be able to do a TR when I get home and add lots of pictures, when I remember how to!:flower:

Great plans! Will be doing (and have done) a similar trip in November. Well done for navigating the USJ site, that is no small feat! Are your sons interested in doing any of the 'real' experiences while there?

Thanks Wendy.
Fi, not sure yet. My eldest might, but I'll have to look into it a bit. I don't think I'll pay extra, as I've already spent a fortune on the entry and express passes! ($684 for the 4 of us). They've got 'Cool Japan' while we're there, which is some different rides/experiences. We might try to head straight to them in the morning, when the lines aren't as long. Then we'll have the express passes for the other major rides later in the day.
As much research as I've done, I've still got so much to do. Hope I don't run out of time!

Thanks Wendy.
Fi, not sure yet. My eldest might, but I'll have to look into it a bit. I don't think I'll pay extra, as I've already spent a fortune on the entry and express passes! ($684 for the 4 of us). They've got 'Cool Japan' while we're there, which is some different rides/experiences. We might try to head straight to them in the morning, when the lines aren't as long. Then we'll have the express passes for the other major rides later in the day.
As much research as I've done, I've still got so much to do. Hope I don't run out of time!

Hi you are going to have a wonderful trip we went last year and hope to go back again this summer.I lived in Japan long time ago my favorite place .My two boys went nuts for video games Akihabara super potatoe but we found Osaka Den Den town was cheaper but we couldnt go back we will this trip shop there Great on getting tickets Universal we got ours gate not the best as so crowded we will get the express pass we didnt get one was so crowded. .

Thanks Tanzanite. I haven't heard on Den Den town. Will check it out now. I think I'll encourage the kids to buy what they want when they see it as we won't be backtracking anywhere to go back and get it later. We've had some non-buyers remorse before. Won't let that happen again.

Thanks Tanzanite. I haven't heard on Den Den town. Will check it out now. I think I'll encourage the kids to buy what they want when they see it as we won't be backtracking anywhere to go back and get it later. We've had some non-buyers remorse before. Won't let that happen again.
Good to get them to buy when they see it as my son still talks about a pokemon controller he didnt get and we never saw any other stores.Cant wait to hear about your trip .I am waiting to see Airfares prices for June if they come down will book they are to high at the moment keeping fingers crossed reasonable price.

Only 4 weeks to go now. It's getting a bit exciting. I've been thinking about the smaller things I need to organise.

1/ Cash. I really need to get some before we go, but I don't know how much or when/where to get it. I guess it will only be a couple hundred dollars, so the exchange rate won't make much difference. I might check out the few options at the shopping centre and just choose one of those. Otherwise I've got a 28 Degrees Mastercard and a Citibank debit card and will get more cash out in Japan.

2/ I've had a look at the options for food on the plane. Flying Jetstar, food isn't included. Their meals really don't look great, and they're about $25 or so. They do sell things like ham and cheese toasties, sandwiches and party pies etc. On the way over we won't need any food, as we leave at 1am. We'll get breakfast when we arrive. But I'll definately need something on the way back, as we leave at 12pm and don't get in until near midnight. I'll have to check and see if we can get anything before we leave. Otherwise we'll just buy the snacks on the plane.

Does anyone know if you can take cans/bottles of water and soft drink on the plane from Tokyo, if purchased after immigration? In Bali they take them off you before you board, but I'm not sure in Japan.

3/I've checked the different options of transfers to/from the airport in Tokyo. I think I feel more comfortable taking the Limousine Bus rather than the NEX train. The limo bus drops off at Shinjuku station anyway, but I think it will be outside, rather than a platform inside. I don't really want to have to deal with trains and luggage as soon as we land.
They have a return ticket special, so we'll take the bus back from the Hilton Tokyo Bay back to the airport.

4/We decided we'd do a half day cycle tour in Osaka, as it's something a bit different to just walking around. I really should book it, but I have quite a sore back/hip and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It's been sore for 4 weeks now and I've put off going to get it seen about because I thought it would get better, but I'm really worried about not being able to walk/stand for too long on holidays. Let alone ride a bike for 3 hours. I think I'll have to give in and see someone about it.

So, at the moment, that's what I need to do/look into. I'm sure there will be lots more I have to think about and will leave until the last minute!

In terms of cash, from memory we rarely used it other than to top-up our train / subway card.

For food on the plane, in my limited experience, items like the ham and cheese toasties are okay. Over-priced but okay. We normally just visit a 7-11 on the way to the airport to stock up on assorted snacks for the flight. They're cheap and they continue the "experience" of Japan. I can't remember about drinks after immigration. I normally just pack an empty water bottle to fill up either before boarding or I ask a flight attendant to fill it when I'm on board.

I've always taken the train, but the bus would probably work well too. If you're flying Jetstar, then you'll probably arrive at the terminal that is in the middle of nowhere and which requires a long walk to the main terminal (at least for catching the train). If the bus departs from your terminal, then that would be a bonus.

From vague memory, Osaka was pretty flat so riding should be easy. But, it's a pretty big city so I would personally be worried about traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian. Can you book it after you arrive in Osaka?

Thanks. The limobus does pick up from Terminal 3, which is where we land, so hopefully that will be ok.
We may be able to book the cycle tour when we arrive, but it's a busy time (early April on a Sunday), so wouldn't want to chance it if we have our hearts set on it. I think I'll wait another week or 2 and see how things pan out. Otherwise we'll probably just walk around Osaka and maybe half day in Nara.
Regarding the food, if we were in the US I'd have no worries. I'm just not sure what we can get in a convenience store. Do they have decent western type food that would pass for lunch and dinner? Not sure yet if I'll enjoy onigiri!

They have noodles - would they pass for lunch and dinner? I *think* Jetstar gives you boiling water if you ask for it (although, since that could potentially be a "weapon" maybe they don't). I normally just grab snacks - chocolate, biscuits, etc.

There is a decent food court at Terminal 3 if you wanted to have a large meal right before boarding. There is also a convenience store (I don't think it was 7-11, but similar) in Terminal 3. From memory, everything was reasonably price with little "airport" mark-up.

Thanks for that info. I think if we have some sort of meal before boarding, we might be ok with just snack, but it's a long time. Hopefully Jetstar doesn't run out of hot snacks in case we get desperate!

How exciting! We're going to Tokyo in July for my birthday--I'd love to see your trip report and photos after you get back!

This sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy! I'd also love to see a TR and photos of your time there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter