Well what now? Question from the "sappy soon to be empty nester" .. Savvy Sailors, please help me out

Shannon&Bailey

Earning My Ears
Okay --

Try not to laugh me out of here - but I have a question. I may give you a bit of a back story. --> My daughter and I went on a cruise 3 years ago. It was on the Disney Dream and we were on a 4 day Bahamas Cruise. We had a great time keeping busy doing shows and different things (truthfully I feel like we ate and played in the pools more than anything. Honestly, by the time we got the hang of "how to" cruise, it was time to get off the boat.

My daughter and I were discussing taking a cruise next June as part of her graduation present from highs-school. She is starting her Senior year in 2 weeks. As an only child, and an only grandchild (on both sides of the family) ... she tends to be very sheltered and young minded. .. I am saying this because - she will have just turned 18 years old when we take our cruise. Sadly, she was going on and on about how excited she would be to finally know how to take full advantage of the kids activities for her age and the "kids area" ... and it dawned on me ----- she will be 18 when we cruise.

So my question is, "What is there to do activity wise for an 18 year old, and do you think DCL would allow a just turned 18 year old to do the 17 year old group activities if that was more her speed?"

Thanks in advance for any input

Okay --

Try not to laugh me out of here - but I have a question. I may give you a bit of a back story. --> My daughter and I went on a cruise 3 years ago. It was on the Disney Dream and we were on a 4 day Bahamas Cruise. We had a great time keeping busy doing shows and different things (truthfully I feel like we ate and played in the pools more than anything. Honestly, by the time we got the hang of "how to" cruise, it was time to get off the boat.

My daughter and I were discussing taking a cruise next June as part of her graduation present from highs-school. She is starting her Senior year in 2 weeks. As an only child, and an only grandchild (on both sides of the family) ... she tends to be very sheltered and young minded. .. I am saying this because - she will have just turned 18 years old when we take our cruise. Sadly, she was going on and on about how excited she would be to finally know how to take full advantage of the kids activities for her age and the "kids area" ... and it dawned on me ----- she will be 18 when we cruise.

So my question is, "What is there to do activity wise for an 18 year old, and do you think DCL would allow a just turned 18 year old to do the 17 year old group activities if that was more her speed?"

Thanks in advance for any input

DCL is very strict on the upper age limits for the clubs. There is no way they will allow an 18 year old in the teen club. Teens who are 17 when they board the cruise and have their 18th birthday onboard are no longer allowed to go to the Vibe club once they've hit their birthday.

There is a group called the 1820 Society which is for 18-20 year olds. If she's interested in that, she needs to attend the gathering on the first night. It's when they gauge the interest in the group and plan activities for the cruise.

I feel your pain a little bit! My twins will be starting their Senior year next week. We are going on a graduation cruise July 13, 2020 and they will be 18. We are going with some other families whose children will not be 18 so I am a little bit concerned about the age issue but I am definitely going to make sure my duo attend the 1820 meeting that first night so they can maybe plan something they would be interested in. I have read that some previous activities include a smoothie night, dodgeball tournament and getting together for lunch and/or ice cream and sometimes even a craft. I can see my duo being interested in some of these things but apparently it really depends on the dynamics of the group which makes that first meet up important in terms of interest and planning.

You should come on the Dream July 13-17, you daughter will not be alone (I will have an 18 year old son and daughter).

Your empty nest title really got to me! Although I have two children, with them both being the same age they will both be leaving me this time next year (I am a single mom). I am struggling with that but determined to make this next year great and treasure every moment! Good luck to your daughter with her Senior year and really!! You should join us for the same cruise!!

Years ago, my oldest daughter did the 1820 Society and loved it. The group does a meet and greet on the first day and make plans then. Almost all of their plans were not listed in guide because they made it up as they went along. My youngest daughter and I are booked for July 1-5 on the Dream for her high school graduation present. Not sure if she will join them or not since she doesn't socialize as much as her sister.

My DD took her first cruise as an 18 year old this summer. She went to the 1820 Society meeting, but didn't do anything else with them. However, she enjoyed being able to go into Cove Cafe for her lattes, going to Palo for the first time, hanging out in the adult areas and going to the adult only entertainment at night. She is an only child but very independent and just enjoyed the ship.

All of the clubs have 'open house' times when any age can visit them, including adults, so your daughter can go to Vibe or Edge or the Oceaneers lab/club during their open house times and enjoy the stuff there then.

My oldest was 18 on our last cruise on the Magic. She went to the 1820 club, didn't enjoy it too much, but she did the couple lunch meet ups and went to the craft session--she just never clicked with the other kids. What she did love was going to the adult only activities with one of us--going to the 'anyone can cook' session, to napkin folding, to the drawing classes, and to some of the adult entertainment in one of the lounges. At 18, she can enjoy the adult pool/hot tub area (just make sure she always has her key with her so she can prove that she's not a child!) Both my girls (then 18 and 14) went to the Oceaneer Club during an open house to check it out--my 18 yr old loves Marvel stuff so she was excited to see the Iron Man figure there! (My oldest tends to be a bit on the 'younger' side as well...she just finally got her driver's license at 19 1/2...after lots of pushing from me...she managed to get her license a week before her permit expired!)

As the previous poster says, the open house times are a great option. We travel with a big group of cousins of all ages who want to stay together and we worried about the age limit rules. But the kids figured out the solution. They just look up the open house times each day and bounce from one kids club to another! It worked great for us—our oldest wasn’t “too old” for anything because of those open house hours.

If, as you say, she is more young minded, is there any way at all to schedule your trip prior to her birthday ? It IS nice for kids to sometimes be in that "top dog" position. Best of luck to you.
We get to cruise with our daughter in November, San Juan to Miami. And our son-in-law. She's 35, lol, no kid's club for her.

My daughter (who has cruised DCL since she was 5) will turn 18 and graduate from high school all in the same week in 2022. Her request is to sail on the Fantasy (she wants a back to back; but unless a college scholarship falls out of the sky, that will not be happening).

Her dearest wishes - to eat in Remy (cheese trolley is thing of legend with her) and Palo, spend her afternoons at Satellite Falls and to go to the Rain Forest Room every day. (Which is pretty much what we do on the cruise, but with champagne!)

If, as you say, she is more young minded, is there any way at all to schedule your trip prior to her birthday ? It IS nice for kids to sometimes be in that "top dog" position. Best of luck to you.
We get to cruise with our daughter in November, San Juan to Miami. And our son-in-law. She's 35, lol, no kid's club for her.

On the flip side, doing the cruise after she turns 18 could give her a “safe space” to be on her own a bit as a prep for being away at college...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter