• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well are we going to be charged to park with DVC?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Rumor has it Disney is fixing to start charging to park at their resorts. Wonder if it will apply to DVC?

Both VGC and Aulani charge guests for parking but It is free for DVC at both resorts. Hope that would continue at WDW.

Parking lot maintenance is covered by DVC member dues. They cannot charge owners--any group of owners--for upkeep of an amenity, and then charge again to use said amenity.

BTW, I wish I had a dime for every time the paid parking rumor reared its head.
I hope so. That would be a nice benefit to owning DVC, resale or direct.

They will not be charging owners. I could see them charging others similar to VGC.

That rumor has been around for years, and I won't go with it until WDW announces the date it is going to start.

Conceivably, they could move the parking lot expenses out of DVC dues. If they make enough money from resort parking to cover parking lot expenses, there isn't any reason to use DVC dues to cover it, at which point, they could make MORE money on parking by charging DVCers for parking. I don't think its likely given the VGC and Aulani status, but I don't know of any reason that it being covered by dues today means they need to include it in dues in the future.

I see this as just another selling point to get people to buy into DVC. "Look, if you don't want to pay $210 in parking for the week, take a look at our vacation ownership plan."

Both VGC and Aulani charge guests for parking but It is free for DVC at both resorts. Hope that would continue at WDW.
While I doubt they will, they certainly could by backing all or a portion out of the dues. This could end up similar to valet parking. Again not predicting but acknowledging that it'd be technically possible to so so if they chose to.

Conceivably, they could move the parking lot expenses out of DVC dues. If they make enough money from resort parking to cover parking lot expenses, there isn't any reason to use DVC dues to cover it, at which point, they could make MORE money on parking by charging DVCers for parking. I don't think its likely given the VGC and Aulani status, but I don't know of any reason that it being covered by dues today means they need to include it in dues in the future.

I do not believe Disney can do that at WDW. Years ago we had free valet parking because the costs of the valet employee services were included in dues. Disney then outsourced the valet service to a separate company, which was allowed to charge us for parking because we no longer paid dues for the valet services. They cannot outsource the parking lots. Those are common elements in which each member has an ownership interest. Under both the law of condominiums in Florida and the declarations for the resorts, each member has a right to use the common elements including the parking lots, each member is required to pay dues for the maintenance and repair of those common elements, and the common elements cannot be separated from the ownership interests of the members absent a majority vote of the actual members. This is not like outsourcing a service and then removing its costs from dues. Disney would have to separate the parking lot/common elements from the ownership interests to cease having the members freely use it and pay the dues to maintain it. Moreover, for like reason Disney should not be able to create a rule charging new resale purchasers for parking while not charging original owners because the same Florida law specifically provides that a sale of a unit (or the timeshare interest therein) expressly includes the sale of the original owner's interests in the common elements.

I do not believe Disney can do that at WDW. Years ago we had free valet parking because the costs of the valet employee services were included in dues. Disney then outsourced the valet service to a separate company, which was allowed to charge us for parking because we no longer paid dues for the valet services. They cannot outsource the parking lots. Those are common elements in which each member has an ownership interest. Under both the law of condominiums in Florida and the declarations for the resorts, each member has a right to use the common elements including the parking lots, each member is required to pay dues for the maintenance and repair of those common elements, and the common elements cannot be separated from the ownership interests of the members absent a majority vote of the actual members. This is not like outsourcing a service and then removing its costs from dues. Disney would have to separate the parking lot/common elements from the ownership interests to cease having the members freely use it and pay the dues to maintain it. Moreover, for like reason Disney should not be able to create a rule charging new resale purchasers for parking while not charging original owners because the same Florida law specifically provides that a sale of a unit (or the timeshare interest therein) expressly includes the sale of the original owner's interests in the common elements.
As I understand it the valet was never paid for by dues, it was free with tips being the expected income.

That makes sense.

I see this as just another selling point to get people to buy into DVC. "Look, if you don't want to pay $210 in parking for the week, take a look at our vacation ownership plan."

If true, this plus fast pass benefits to good neighbors hotels will further push visitors to offsite accommodations, not necessarily DVC IMHO.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter