Weight Watchers worth the money?

bunnyfoo

<font color=red>It's Monday and my mind was somewh
What do you guys think? I've got a good idea of how Weight Watchers works (the point system) but I've already got a health club membership so I'm a little hesitant to spend the extra money ... but I've heard good things from people who've tried the program. What about Jenny Craig? Is that a similar program?

I was going to do a search but that doesn't seem to be working right now... TIA everyone! :p

I did the plan without going to the meetings, a friend had the information. I did not lose on it, my points were low and with my exercising/activity level it didn't work for me. I will say that my nutritionist seemed pleased with Weight Watchers and would not have any problem if that is what I had wanted to do.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have lost about 10 pounds in 4 weeks of going to WW. I am the type of person who needs someone else to be accountable to and WW provides that.

The meetings are not big rah-rah sessions (at least at the location I go to), but they do have great information. I like knowing that I will be weighed on an accurate scale once a week and can see how I'm doing.

The points are not difficult to keep track of, but I highly recommend going to the meetings, rather than just trying to do it on your own. Check the location near you and see if they are having any enrollment specials going on.

Jenny Craig is very different -- DH did it several years ago. You buy their food and it can be very costly. I know it works well for some people, but it doesn't really teach you how to eat in the "real world". (Maybe they've changed since DH did it, but I know it didn't take him long to gain the weight back.)

Good luck!!!

I think it is worth the money, and I am basically cheap.

I started in November 2002, and have lost almost 25 pounds. If you go on the plan where you pay as you go, it is a little more each week but you could go every other week if you want. I like the meetings. I think they help me stay on track.

I have been a paying WW member twice. The first time I lost about 18-20 pounds and the second time I lost about 10 (both times I met my goal). I didn't mind paying the money and I loved the program/results. The group I belonged to was a group near my office (at the time a very nasty city outside of DC). The members of the group were much older than me and not very enthusiastic or friendly. I basically went to the meetings to listen to the WW lead and both my leaders were FANTASTIC!!!!! :)

I am on WW again, but I am just using an old cookbook with menu suggestions that my MIL gave me a few years ago. It's rough, because my parents just moved in with us temporarily. My mother's idea of grocery shopping is to hit the bakery. She bough a carrot cake, chocolate chip cake, custard pie, huge loaf of Cuban bread, etc. And then she put out little bows of mini snickers and peanut m&ms for everyone to snack on. I have been really good about not muching any of those things. Right now I am holding myself accountable and it seems to be working.

Good luck to you! I have some friends that did Jenny Craig. They did lose a bunch of weight but have put it on since. It is a very expensive program.

Originally posted by TigH
And then she put out little bows of mini snickers and peanut m&ms for everyone to snack on. I have been really good about not muching any of those things. Right now I am holding myself accountable and it seems to be working.

GOOD FOR YOU for taking a pass on all those goodies! Maybe put out a tray of 0 point veggies to munch on???

TigH,

I'll second the kudos to you for not caving. Does mom know you're trying to lose weight? Maybe a subtle hint might help... :D

Lois

I most definitely think it's worth the money. I've been going since Sept. 2002 and have lost over 27 lbs. I too, need the accountability of weighing in each week. I like the plan and it's easy to follow. I'm hoping to reach goal and become a lifetime member. I highly recommend this program.

She knows I am on WW. She thinks that I look fine the way I am and that because she weighs about 150 that I don't need to lose weight. :rolleyes: I could write a huge message about her unhealthy lifestyle/body, but that won't change how she thinks. She's only 62, a heavy smoker, she doesn't exercise and I think the only vegetable she eats is a potato now and then. I keep telling her I want her to stick around for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time and that I want her to be healthy enough to enjoy being alive if she does live into her 80s or 90s.

But I digress. :) I just look at all that cake and candy and I don't even feel a bit tempted. My husband said something about my "chiseled jawline" the other night so that is great motivation. The fact that he can notice a change after 5 pounds makes me feel great! :)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I think I'm going to check out the program this weekend and find a meeting that's close to me :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter