Week after Christmas park days?

Befferk

Love your life and count your blessings!
Our last trip to WDW was back in 2014, we've never been over the holidays, and I know this year is a crap shoot for planning but looking for a little advice since I know a lot has changed since our last trip.

It will be four of us: me, DH, our son (18) and his GF (18). She's never been. We're staying offsite at Windsor Hills and arriving mid-day on Christmas Day and not wasting a park day. We're planning WDW park days for the following 5 days after. The "big kids" are after the roller coasters mainly, so we're obviously not doing any of the smaller kid stuff.

These are the park reservations I have right now for WDW:

Saturday 12/26: AK (I usually love to do MK first, but figuring MK might still be busy since it's a Saturday, and the people that avoided MK on Christmas Day might go the next day)
Sunday 12/27: DHS
Monday 12/28: MK
Tuesday 12/29: EPCOT
Wednesday 12/30: Repeat park day, right now I have DHS because they like Star Wars and I know it's hard to get on some things
Thursday 12/31: Universal Day
Friday 1/1: Universal Day
Saturday 1/2: Disney Springs/shopping/etc

Lots of variable this year, but remember the normal crowds are controlled under the reservation system, so the normal crowds are a questionable situation. With that said, there are lots of other questions due to other aspects under today's park operation. Weekends tend to be busier, but will the reservation limit remain in place by the time of your trip? Will park hours be adjusted? I can tell you we have been on Christmas Day at MK and made an exodus at 11am for Afternoon Tea. Turned out to be a highlight of our trip...referring to the tea. We did the early entrance the next day and were fine. MK was less crowed, but still busy. We also have done US over the new years eve and into the next year...crowds were fine, as we had front of the line passes. I would watch for the release of December park hours, which may provide you with a comfort level of your choices. Have fun :)

Lots of variable this year, but remember the normal crowds are controlled under the reservation system, so the normal crowds are a questionable situation. With that said, there are lots of other questions due to other aspects under today's park operation. Weekends tend to be busier, but will the reservation limit remain in place by the time of your trip? Will park hours be adjusted? I can tell you we have been on Christmas Day at MK and made an exodus at 11am for Afternoon Tea. Turned out to be a highlight of our trip...referring to the tea. We did the early entrance the next day and were fine. MK was less crowed, but still busy. We also have done US over the new years eve and into the next year...crowds were fine, as we had front of the line passes. I would watch for the release of December park hours, which may provide you with a comfort level of your choices. Have fun :)

Great advice, thank you!

Our last trip to WDW was back in 2014, we've never been over the holidays, and I know this year is a crap shoot for planning but looking for a little advice since I know a lot has changed since our last trip.

It will be four of us: me, DH, our son (18) and his GF (18). She's never been. We're staying offsite at Windsor Hills and arriving mid-day on Christmas Day and not wasting a park day. We're planning WDW park days for the following 5 days after. The "big kids" are after the roller coasters mainly, so we're obviously not doing any of the smaller kid stuff.

Saturday 12/26: AK (I usually love to do MK first, but figuring MK might still be busy since it's a Saturday, and the people that avoided MK on Christmas Day might go the next day)
Wednesday 12/30: Repeat park day, right now I have DHS because they like Star Wars and I know it's hard to get on some things

No issue with park days bc honestly, the crowds this year are a crap shoot. Yes there are park capacity limits so you can look at the calendar as it gets closer to see which, if any, have hit capacity but even then, you likely wouldn’t want to change since you may run the risk of not getting a park pass.

I’d say, even though it may be crowded, but no where like prior years holiday crowds, you can still have an awesome trip. I love not having to deal with FP+ windows and other planning methodologies that aren’t really relevant now. You don’t have to rope drop if you don’t want to. It makes for a much less stressful trip IMO. Outside of a few ADRs, we only make park reservations and that’s our only planning. Just a note on food since it’s been some time, quick service is mobile order only so that will be new for you. You can check out how to mobile order by playing with the MDE app. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with that to make it less stressful. And since it’s been some time, maybe have a few ideas of places you’d all like to eat lined up since not all restaurants are open.

I see nothing glaringly “wrong” with your park day selections but do keep in mind that since some parks are closing earlier, you may need some evening filler. We usually don’t swim in December since it’s too chilly so we will do Disney Springs or make a dinner reservation. And as PP mentioned, weekends will be more crowded.

No issue with park days bc honestly, the crowds this year are a crap shoot. Yes there are park capacity limits so you can look at the calendar as it gets closer to see which, if any, have hit capacity but even then, you likely wouldn’t want to change since you may run the risk of not getting a park pass.

I’d say, even though it may be crowded, but no where like prior years holiday crowds, you can still have an awesome trip. I love not having to deal with FP+ windows and other planning methodologies that aren’t really relevant now. You don’t have to rope drop if you don’t want to. It makes for a much less stressful trip IMO. Outside of a few ADRs, we only make park reservations and that’s our only planning. Just a note on food since it’s been some time, quick service is mobile order only so that will be new for you. You can check out how to mobile order by playing with the MDE app. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with that to make it less stressful. And since it’s been some time, maybe have a few ideas of places you’d all like to eat lined up since not all restaurants are open.

I see nothing glaringly “wrong” with your park day selections but do keep in mind that since some parks are closing earlier, you may need some evening filler. We usually don’t swim in December since it’s too chilly so we will do Disney Springs or make a dinner reservation. And as PP mentioned, weekends will be more crowded.

Thanks for the ideas! I have been checking out restaurants, and making sure some of the old familiar ones will be open (our favorites are). I'm aware the character interactions are few and far between which is kind of sad, but with 3.5 months to go, just maybe they'll add something??? The only ADR's I'm really hoping to snag are CRT (even though we know the princesses aren't likely to be there, but we only ever had a son who had no interest in meeting princesses really, so with taking his GF, I know she'd love to just be able to eat in the castle...and *I* want to, lol), and Hollywood & Vine, because my understanding is that they do have characters there now, and have a special holiday meal. Other than that, QS will work (I'll definitely play around with the app, thanks!). I am happy for the little later rope drop times, because we've always been RD people on previous trips, so at least with older teenagers now, we'll be glad that we don't have to be up quite so early. And early evenings is fine with us too, my son wants to spend a bit more time down at DS, as I know that's changed a lot since we've been there. Or check out some offsite restaurants for supper. And we have a heated pool at our townhouse, so that'll work too!

The nice thing is we've had plenty of past trips (prior to 2014) so we've experience a lot already and won't be sad if we're missing certain things, and my son's GF has never been before, so she won't know what she's missing.

Yes Disney Springs is very different if it’s been since 2014. It’s added a lot more shopping and dining than before. And yes there is some limited character dining but I also think there’s a chance more experiences will be added by the time you travel. You’ll have a great trip seeing all the new stuff!

I too was at WDW for 13 days beginning December 23rd in 2014. The crowds were large (huge), the excitement palpable, the decorations wonderful, etc. etc. This was my first Christmas visit and my first long WDW visit. It was wonderful. I know things will be different this year due to Covid but I think it is all about mindset. Your trip outline looks great! How awesome for your son's girlfriend to be able to join your family. That first Disney experience is soooooo memorable. Yet each time I hear, "Welcome Home" even after multiple trips since 2014 as we bought DVC at GF, we are still excited to visit!!! Have a wonderful time. I am so looking forward to the vaccine and our January '21 trip. (My trips since retirement have been at least 14 days and up to 28 days. It is fun to escape the snow of northern OH in January at the Happiest Place on Earth.) Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too was at WDW for 13 days beginning December 23rd in 2014. The crowds were large (huge), the excitement palpable, the decorations wonderful, etc. etc. This was my first Christmas visit and my first long WDW visit. It was wonderful. I know things will be different this year due to Covid but I think it is all about mindset. Your trip outline looks great! How awesome for your son's girlfriend to be able to join your family. That first Disney experience is soooooo memorable. Yet each time I hear, "Welcome Home" even after multiple trips since 2014 as we bought DVC at GF, we are still excited to visit!!! Have a wonderful time. I am so looking forward to the vaccine and our January '21 trip. (My trips since retirement have been at least 14 days and up to 28 days. It is fun to escape the snow of northern OH in January at the Happiest Place on Earth.) Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the good vibes!! :flower1: We're excited too that we get to escape the frozen tundra (Wisconsin) at Christmas time. We've usually gone in February, May a few times, and September/October (so we did get to do Halloween stuff that year). Even though we know we'll be "missing" some usual holiday celebration things, at least we're in Disney (and having never been this time of the year before, will we really know what we're missing? Probably not!). It's been a tough year. Sure, it would have been nice to take her for her first time once this is all over and back to normal, but who knows at this point when that will be? Just a good excuse to plan another trip in the future. We took her to Key West last year for vacation and we had a blast so I'm excited for her excitement this time around as well.

We will be there your same dates. Also driving in Christmas Day and staying at WH. Our first Christmas trip. Still haven't decided on park reservations.

We will be there your same dates. Also driving in Christmas Day and staying at WH. Our first Christmas trip. Still haven't decided on park reservations.

Hey, we'll be neighbors! I'm an over planner, so I was planning park days before I even bought the tickets. Now I'm trying to figure out where to go for Christmas Day dinner. Looking at options in Disney Springs.

Where is this calendar at? We are considering going over Christmas this year in hopes that it will not be its normal crowded chaos!

My family also going From Dec.26-Jan.1. We are so excited! Also I’m praying that WDW does not increase the capacity. I know we will have to wait for rides; but not even close to what is usually there during the holidays.
Question: is there still a rope drop performance or anything?

We went ahead and made park reservations for the following:
Sat 12/26: AK
Sun 12/27: MK
Mon 12/28: DHS
Tues 12/29: AK
Wed 12/30: DHS
Thurs 12/31: Epcot
Fri 1/1: MK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter