Wedding info for Asian Disney parks

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Warning, this post is fairly long, but I thought it could be helpful for some people and maybe interesting for others. As part of our planning process, we considered weddings at various Disney locations. It can be tricky to find information for the Asian Disney parks, so I thought I would share what I have learned. My enquiries were based on a basic wedding package for 20 guests or less. Having a Disney castle in our wedding photos is very important to us, and the only way to achieve this in HKDL or TDR is through the in-park photography packages. Hence, we based our comparisons on the price for a basic ceremony and celebration plus in-park photography. WDW worked out to be the best value for our circumstances, however there are other couples who may have different priorities who may wish to consider these options (particularly for those of us on the opposite side of the world to WDW!).

HKDL 'Dreams Come True' package
I'll start with HKDL. I was quoted for the 'Dreams Come True' package, which includes an outdoor ceremony at the HKDL Hotel, followed immediately by a short celebration (2 hours in total).
  • Package is for a minimum of 50 guests. They don't really care how many guests you have as long as you pay the package minimum. If you have more than 50 guests, you pay an additional amount per person. There's no upper limit mentioned, but I do know that they're set up to accommodate some pretty large numbers.
  • Choice of ceremony locations - a lovely gazebo next to the Mickey maze, a private garden area outside the convention area, or an open lawn overlooking the South China Sea.
  • Weddings can be held Monday to Friday at 10:00am-12:00pm or 3:00pm-5:00pm, or on weekends and public holidays at 10:00am-12:00pm.
  • Set up includes a welcome sign resembling a large fairytale book customised with the bride and groom's names, an undecorated white wrought iron style arch for the alter, white heart-shaped 'wishing tree' with wish cards that guests can fill in and hang on the tree, chiffon draping and silk posies along the aisle, silk posy centrepieces for the signing table and buffet table for the celebration, cocktail tables for the celebration with a choice of linen colours, audio support and background music.
  • Food and beverage inclusions are 1 bottle of champagne for toasting, 6 pounds of fresh wedding cake, 20 dozen canapes to be chosen from a fairly limited selection, 2 hours of drinks service including orange juice, soft drinks, mineral water and beer, 2 hours unlimited popcorn.
  • Extras include a bridal dressing room, printed location maps for guests, a Disney wedding certificate, ring pillow and guest book.
  • It is worth noting that brides must use the bridal dressing room to get dressed. You are not allowed to wander around the resort or attend any of their restaurants in your wedding attire. The only photography you can have in wedding attire is during the actual event.
For the above inclusions, the package price is HK$98,800 + 10% service charge. With today's exchange rates, that is approx $20k AUD or $14k USD. There are a number of extras/upgrades you can include for an additional cost including photography, decorations, entertainment and food and beverage.

HKDL's park photography package is based on the pre-wedding photo shoot common in Asian cultures. It is a full day session featuring multiple looks for the bride and groom. Like other parks around the world, you need to have an official Disney wedding to be eligible for the package, although I'm not sure if it needs to be at HK or not.

Photography package inclusions:
  • Shooting locations include the Castle of Magical Dreams Forecourt and another 2 areas (to be chosen from an available selection) within the park, as well the HKDL Hotel and the resort pier.
  • Bridal make-up.
  • 3 x bridal hair styling (for 3 different looks for the photoshoot) including hire of different hair accessories.
  • 3 x hire dresses (bridal or evening) for bride.
  • 2 x hire suits for groom.
  • At least 160 photos taken, provided in raw JPEG format on a CD.
  • Free use of Disney's PhotoPass including one year of unlimited downloads.
  • 1 x 10" x 14" photo album containing 60 edited photos.
  • 1 x framed 30" x 40" canvas
  • 1 x 5 minute edited video
  • 1 night accommodation in a Kingdom Club Room at the HKDL Hotel
  • Lunch and dinner for 2 at HKDL restaurants
  • 2 x 1 day park tickets
There is a day time package available for HK$80,800. With today's exchange rates, that is approx $15k AUD or $10k USD.
The night time package is HK$90,800. With today's exchange rates, that is approx $17k AUD or $11.5k USD.
Total cost for pretty bare-bones wedding package (excluding wedding photography) + in-park wedding photography was going to be approx $35k AUD :scared1:

Tokyo Disneyland 'Sweetheart' packages
The TDR packages are pretty much all-inclusive, almost production line style. We were quoted for an in-restaurant package for an elopement style wedding as well as a private reception package for a small group, utilising off-peak timing. Only the Ambassador Hotel does the smaller weddings, so I didn't get any extra information on the Mira Costa. They no longer do the TDL Hotel weddings which included an in-park ceremony.
  • On the wedding day, the couple start with hair and makeup (yes, the groom too 😂) at the beauty salon, move into the bridal salon for dressing in one of the gowns hired through DFTW, then into the photography studio for a few pre-wedding photos, before the groom is taken to the chapel to await the grand entrance of the bride. All of this is non-negotiable, and brides MUST hire a dress through DFTW. There is no scope to wear your own dress, and you cannot get ready in your room. For this package, the dress must be white (although I've seen photos of brides in ivory dresses, so I think for this purpose they are also considered white).
  • Ceremonies are all held in the very lovely looking wedding chapel. They include a pastor, organist, marriage certificate and floral decorations, a ring box and surprise gift from the Ambassador Hotel.
  • After the ceremony, there is a small signing ceremony. Mickey and Minnie or Donald and Daisy (you get what you're given) will join the couple in a pretty gazebo for photo opportunities while signing the marriage certificate. In case of bad weather, this would be moved to the foyer of the chapel.
  • From what I can understand, after the signing ceremony, there is an opportunity for the couple to have a few photos with their guests at select locations within the Ambassador Hotel on the way to a private reception. Other than that, I don't believe you are allowed to wear bridal attire around the hotel.
  • There are lots of very cool items that are only available to purchase for official DFTW couples. I'm a bit sad we have to miss out on the 40th anniversary TDR wedding ring set (although I didn't see how much it would be yet 😂).
  • One thing to be acutely aware of if you're considering a TDR wedding is that an in-person briefing is required 2-3 months out from the wedding. There is no way around this. Possibly due to the need to check the fit of your clothing for the day.
The restaurant package is available for up to 7 guests (including the couple) and is held at the Empire Grill restaurant. This is not a private dining experience.
  • This package is available for weddings any week day starting at 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00pm, 4:00pm, 5:00pm or 6:00pm.
  • Food and beverage at Empire Grill restaurant, including a wedding cake with a cake topper.
  • Dress and suit rental and stylists and cosmetics for the bride and groom.
  • Bouquet for the bride.
  • Studio photos with a photo album containing 30 edited photos.
  • Accommodation for the couple on the wedding day, with a 15% discount available on up to 5 rooms for guests attending.
  • It should be noted that you can't wear your bridal attire at the restaurant.
  • Breakfast for the bride and groom at Chef Mickey's.
This package starts from 1,141,300 Yen for 2 people (just the bride and groom), up to 1,283,800 for 7 people.
With today's exchange rates, that is a starting price of approx $12.5k AUD or $8.5k USD, up to approx $14k AUD or $9.5k USD.

The banquet package is available for 8-24 people (including the couple) and is held in one of the small ballrooms in the hotel.
  • This package is available for week day weddings as per the restaurant package, but also at 6:00pm on weekends and public holidays.
  • Small selection of food and beverage packages to choose from, including a wedding cake with a cake topper.
  • Dress and suit rental and stylists and cosmetics for the bride and groom.
  • Bouquet for the bride and floral arrangements for reception (choice from several themed packages).
  • Studio photos. The PDF says 2 shots, but I would have clarified that if I was wanting to go ahead!
  • Music and lighting for the reception.
  • Name cards and menus.
  • For guest counts over 18, gifts for guests.
  • Accommodation for the couple on the wedding day, with a 15% discount available on up to 5 rooms for guests attending.
  • Breakfast for the bride and groom at Chef Mickey's.
  • 10% discount on studio photos/videos.
This package starts from 1,200,802 Yen for 8 people, up to 1,830,742 Yen for 24 people.
With today's exchange rates, that is a starting price of approx $13.5k AUD or $9k USD, up to approx $20.5k AUD or $13.5k USD.

TDR's park photography package is also based on the pre-wedding photo shoot, and is actually required to be held up to 6 months before the wedding. I'm assuming it's only available for couples that have TDR weddings. Here's what I have been able to get from the website.

Photography package inclusions:
  • Shooting inside TDR - your choice of the castle and immediate surrounds or the Beauty and the Beast themed area of the park.
  • Minimum of 20 photos.
  • Includes hire of 1 dress and 1 suit through DFTW.
  • 50% off accommodation the night before the photo shoot.
  • 15% off beauty services for the bride and groom.
The park photography package is 662,000 Yen. With today's exchange rates, that is approx $7.5k AUD or $5k USD.

Realistically, we may have had a total number of around 10 guests including us. So the total cost for a basic private banquet + in-park photography was going to be approx $22.5k AUD. I did consider this pretty good value (particularly since it includes the officiant and the wedding dress!), however, I had concerns about the complete lack of flexibility, and the real kicker was the requirement for an in-person meeting prior to the wedding, which obviously would have required a second trip to Japan!

Comparison to WDW
As we all know, the structure is very different at WDW, with the minimum spend of $15k USD, to be made up pretty much however you like, allowing us to pick and choose inclusions based on what's important to us. What's important to us is:
  • As mentioned, the castle being in our wedding photographs, with the ultimate dream of having an in-park shoot. Absolute must-have top priority, or else we may as well just have a Disney themed wedding at home.
  • Either one of a character appearance (more important to my partner) or fireworks (more important to me). Ideally both!
  • My partner dreams of seeing me arrive in Cinderella's coach. I just love the idea of being able to have horses in my wedding photography.
At WDW, we can include just about all of the above (except for Cinderella's coach, but both characters AND fireworks PLUS the ultimate... in-park photo shoot!) in the minimum spend. Plus we can even have the castle in the background during our ceremony, and possibly even treat our guests to a ride mix-in! I've been playing around with a few options, but even with taxes and estimated tips (I'm probably forgetting something!), we can get this down nearly as low as $25k AUD. WDW for the win!

Not sure but since you want the Ceremony in front of the castle it has to early morning before park opens or late night after the parks closes. Not sure you would be able to do a ride mix in at those times

According to Carrie’s guidebook, having a ceremony after hours in front of the castle has a fee of $40,000 and that’s not including the event minimum. Are you sure about your numbers?

Sorry can't figure out how to quote on my phone 🤦‍♀️ Sounds like I didn't make myself completely clear. We don't intend to get married in front of the castle in the park - that is most definitely out of the budget! However, at WDW there is the option to have a ceremony at the Marina or Sago Cay at the Grand, which has a very distant view of the castle in the background for the $15k minimum. It's also possible that we'll be able to justify the bit extra for the wedding pavilion, although that would take us up closer to $30k AUD. The ride mix in would be during a dessert party.

At HKDL or TDR there is no option to even be able to see the castle at a distance while wearing wedding attire, unless you splurge on the in park photography package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter