Weather considerations, choice of on property resort

brad813

DIS Veteran
I am looking at Fort Wilderness for about three days in September(or early October), since I can get a good enough deal to make it a solid option. However, I am concerned about the weather at the end of September. Would bad weather be a major concern for that time of year in Orlando?

Yes, it's hurricane season, however, we've previously been at the end of September and had really settled weather. Not overly hot and humid and no rainy days. I imagine it can be hit and miss though and is a risk worth weighing up.

Yes, it's hurricane season, however, we've previously been at the end of September and had really settled weather. Not overly hot and humid and no rainy days. I imagine it can be hit and miss though and is a risk worth weighing up.

The prices I am finding for my range of possible dates are as low as $42 a night for the campground, and $95 up for the All Stars, which are quite a way from the two parks I plan to hit this time(MK and Epcot, with MK being for MNSSHP). I also thought I may take a day and check out Volcano Bay on this trip. Thanks for your help,

It's hurricane season.

I am aware it would be hurricane season, and have traveled to Florida and the Caribbean around then. However, I am also aware as you get into late September and October, the risk does lower significantly.

The prices I am finding for my range of possible dates are as low as $42 a night for the campground, and $95 up for the All Stars, which are quite a way from the two parks I plan to hit this time(MK and Epcot, with MK being for MNSSHP). I also thought I may take a day and check out Volcano Bay on this trip. Thanks for your help,

Sounds like a plan, especially visiting Volcano Bay! I think the max travel time on the bus to any park though is around 30-minutes, so although not as close as Fort Wilderness is to MK, you'd save a decent amount by staying at All Stars I would imagine...

Sounds like a plan, especially visiting Volcano Bay! I think the max travel time on the bus to any park though is around 30-minutes, so although not as close as Fort Wilderness is to MK, you'd save a decent amount by staying at All Stars I would imagine...

When I was there last week, it took me about an hour from the Polynesian to Blizzard Beach by bus, but I was staying off property as well so I left the Polynesian at 10AM. I would imagine from the All Stars to Magic Kingdom would be at least an hour, though Epcot would probably be a bit shorter. Granted, every other theme park(Carowinds, Dollywood, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, SeaWorld) I have ever been to would fit inside just the drive into the parks. I know that I would be getting back to my room/campsite about 1am or later unless I drove back(possibility given I plan to drive down) on the day of the Halloween Party, and as late as midnight on the day I do Epcot.

I have never stayed at Ft. Wilderness or All Stars, but, in general, if you have a car, drive to all the parks except to MK since MK is a 2-step process if you drive--you drive to the transportation center and then get on monorail or boat to actually get to the MK entrance. Resort buses take you directly to the MK entrance. Getting to MK even if I've driven has really never been an issue, but if you stay to close, the crowd trying to get out to the transportation center is much worse than just going to your resort bus outside the entrance. I imagine the line even for the bus for All Stars can be quite long since it is a very large resort. I don't know how many of the folks staying at Ft. Wilderness actually take the buses since a good number of them have driven. If car, they may drive; if mega-motor home, then they probably take the bus. I am going for 10 nights in September and am wondering whether or not to go to the MNSSHP--never been. I've been to the XMAS party before and it was fine to do one time--special parades and snow on Main Street was quite cool. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I have never stayed at Ft. Wilderness or All Stars, but, in general, if you have a car, drive to all the parks except to MK since MK is a 2-step process if you drive--you drive to the transportation center and then get on monorail or boat to actually get to the MK entrance. Resort buses take you directly to the MK entrance. Getting to MK even if I've driven has really never been an issue, but if you stay to close, the crowd trying to get out to the transportation center is much worse than just going to your resort bus outside the entrance. I imagine the line even for the bus for All Stars can be quite long since it is a very large resort. I don't know how many of the folks staying at Ft. Wilderness actually take the buses since a good number of them have driven. If car, they may drive; if mega-motor home, then they probably take the bus. I am going for 10 nights in September and am wondering whether or not to go to the MNSSHP--never been. I've been to the XMAS party before and it was fine to do one time--special parades and snow on Main Street was quite cool. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I would go to the MNSSHP if you haven't been. I hear it is a fantastic event, but more than that, you can get in at 4pm and get a full 8 hours for less than the cost of a single day at MK(unless you go on Halloween, but the September dates are well priced), so some people have used that as a strategy to save a day on their tickets. Also, there is special theming for Haunted Mansion, special parades and shows, and rare character experiences(Jack and Sally, all of the seven dwarves, villains), so it may be worth it. My personal plans are Epcot, the Halloween Party, and a day at Volcano Bay(this would be the deciding factor on a Universal annual pass for me). Anyway, back to the main subject, I am well aware of the location of the buses at MK, since I passed through there on the way to the Polynesian bus stop when I went down this month(ticket upgrades, such a pain) and needed a bus to Blizzard Beach. However, Ft Wilderness does have a boat to Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge, so it would be easy to catch one of those and then take the monorail to Epcot as well.

Anyway, back to the main subject, I am well aware of the location of the buses at MK, since I passed through there on the way to the Polynesian bus stop when I went down this month(ticket upgrades, such a pain) and needed a bus to Blizzard Beach. However, Ft Wilderness does have a boat to Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge, so it would be easy to catch one of those and then take the monorail to Epcot as well.

Sounds like you went to the Transportation and Ticket Center and then went over to the Poly to catch a bus to BB. The buses from the All Stars would drop you right at the Magic Kingdom, not at TTC.

As for the weather, in September I would choose All Stars for an air conditioned nights sleep! Love FW but Disney can be pretty muggy when it is 95 degrees. It doesn't really cool off until late November.

We camp in an RV at Ft Wilderness a lot but I don't think I would try it in a tent at that time of year. I don't know how experienced you are with tent camping but if you hit a rainy patch (and that's a real possibility in September) it will be pretty miserable. Everything you own (bedding, undies, potato chips) will be damp and sticky. Even when the rain stops the humidity prevents anything from drying out.

On the plus side, the bath houses at FW are air conditioned and very nice. Back in our ancient hand me down tiny Airstream days DH preferred the FW showers to the one in the camper.

All the same, I grew up tent camping and might would try it at Disney in April but never September. To be honest, I'd stay off site first.

I would go to the MNSSHP if you haven't been. I hear it is a fantastic event, but more than that, you can get in at 4pm and get a full 8 hours for less than the cost of a single day at MK(unless you go on Halloween, but the September dates are well priced), so some people have used that as a strategy to save a day on their tickets. Also, there is special theming for Haunted Mansion, special parades and shows, and rare character experiences(Jack and Sally, all of the seven dwarves, villains), so it may be worth it. My personal plans are Epcot, the Halloween Party, and a day at Volcano Bay(this would be the deciding factor on a Universal annual pass for me). Anyway, back to the main subject, I am well aware of the location of the buses at MK, since I passed through there on the way to the Polynesian bus stop when I went down this month(ticket upgrades, such a pain) and needed a bus to Blizzard Beach. However, Ft Wilderness does have a boat to Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge, so it would be easy to catch one of those and then take the monorail to Epcot as well.
Quite right, forgot about the boat way. Not concerned about ticket price actually since I have an AP. Excited because I just made a reservation for September--can't wait and you've convinced me to take in the MNSSHP. Thanks and have a great time!

I am aware it would be hurricane season, and have traveled to Florida and the Caribbean around then. However, I am also aware as you get into late September and October, the risk does lower significantly.

LA girl here, and some of the worst hurricanes we experienced were in mid-late Sept. (Aug-Sept worst months).

As for the FW campground, it will be stormy, rainy season with very hot temps and high humidity.

LA girl here, and some of the worst hurricanes we experienced were in mid-late Sept. (Aug-Sept worst months).

As for the FW campground, it will be stormy, rainy season with very hot temps and high humidity.

Already booked for Sept 23-27. I will prepare for the worst, but hopefully I will have good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter