We were under-impressed with Artist's Point

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
We expected a superb meal but were disappointed for our 30th anniversary. The Portabello Mushroom soup was truly wonderful but our entrees were bland. DH has the crusted tuna. It was cold on the inside and had no flavor, with very little curry sauce along the side. My salmon (their signature dish) was fairly tasteless and almost dry. They gave us a cobbler dessert for our anniversary but it was something like I make all the time at home. The waiter did not refill our beverages as often as most do.

DH and I travel frequently and have eaten at 4 & 5 star restaurants across America. Our meals at Artist Point were not on par. We were not sure what to expect but the quality of the food was not up to our expectations from previous posts.

I know that many have had outstanding experiences there but we did not. (BTW, I tried to do a search for a similar thread but the search was unavailable.)

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience there (especially for the BIG 30!!! Happy Anniversary!!!) :sad2: I never ate there but was thinking of trying it, although, I've been seeing a few posts where people weren't so happy with their meals so maybe I'll be going to another 2TS restaurant. Too bad though because it seems like a waste of 2 credits or lots of $$$ wasted that you could have used at a 1TS with food just as good....

Sorry you had a bad experience. With the tuna, I think it's suppose to be cool on the inside (which is one of the reasons why I usually do other selections of fish).

I've heard a couple of so-so reviews of AP lately...did they change their chef recently?

Also sorry to hear about your bad experience. We are eating Thanksgiving dinner there this year so I hope this was just an off night for them. rcyannacci is correct though that most tuna is cooked somewhat on the rare side and is supposed to be cool on the inside but I know many people do not like it cooked that way.

Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at AP. I've always had good meals there.

We wouldn't go back to Artist's Pointe either. We ate there 2 years ago. I had their signature salmon and was not impressed. I could have made it better myself.

I have eaten at AP every trip for the past 3-4 years. It was one of my top restaurants once, but has declined lately. Service has always been nice. As far as menu, it just seems that there are very few items that are over the top. I swear the salemon is not as good as it once was. The mushroom soup is still excellent. My wife had the pork chop which was so so last time. I feel is has slid in quality somewhat. I will probably not go back for a year or so when we will be staying VWL.

We ate there about 5 years ago, when it was all the rave, had the signature salmon, and were so unimpressed we've never been back.

Now, the Flying Fish ... :thumbsup2

Here's what I wrote in my trip reports about our wonderful meal at Artist Point in January:
As always, the food, service and the entire experience was superlative. This is still, truly the best restaurant at WDW, by far, and if anything, pulling further into the lead.
While I would love to have a few more exotic choices on the menu, to make the place seem more "out there", I suppose since we, and lots of typical guests, wouldn't order them, it makes sense that they stick with the stuff we like. :)

I had the tuna, and it was perfect. My wife had the scallops and loved the flavor of the sauce. My brother and his wife both had the tenderloin and felt it was the best meal of the week. The staff was friendly and attentive even to the needs of our little ones. A great experience, overall.

I highly recommend Artist Point. :thumbsup2

We've eaten there twice in the past few years and were underwhelmed both times.

Cheers!
Heather W

I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time there. We have eaten there twice (2002 & 2003), both times the service and food were out of this world. Both times I had the Buffalo steak, and it was melt in your mouth great, not just good. When we were there in 2003 is was for our anniversary and they made a point of bringing out this huge plate with different desserts on it. The kids even loved the restaurant when they were there in 2002. We plan on going back this January, hope it's good then!!

Ms.Mouse said:
Too bad though because it seems like a waste of 2 credits or lots of $$$ wasted that you could have used at a 1TS with food just as good....

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We have been going to AP for over 8 years, usually several times per year.

Yes, some visits are slightly better than others. BUT, a bad night at AP has outshined any 1TS credit meal we have ever had. I would venture to say anyone who frequently dines at Disney Signature Restaurants can tell you that there is no comparison between the 1TS and 2TS venues. (At least that was the case over the last 10 years. The full effect of DDP is yet to be seen in my opinion.)

And no, I am not a Signature Restaurant snob. :snooty:
I enjoy CS meals at Tangerine Cafe and Tusker House - and the character breakfast at Crystal Palace just as much as the next person.

Been to AP twice in last three years. It's definitely on my top 5 list at WDW. I am surprised by others whose experience has not been as good.

I would venture to say anyone who frequently dines at Disney Signature Restaurants can tell you that there is no comparison between the 1TS and 2TS venues

Cinderella's Royal Table is Two credits. Even Hollywood and Vine puts the boot to that one.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. My fiancee and I ate there to celebrate our engagement last spring and we had a wonderful experience. I had the salmon which I loved, and he had the buffalo sirloin. We live right outside of Manhattan so we eat at top notch restaurants all the time and are very impressed with artist point. It was probably, and unfortunately just an off night for you. Congratulations on your anniversary! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter