we were in nassau till 2 a.m.!

john970

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

So I got back from the 4-night Wonder cruise on Thursday. We were told that our sailing was the second one in which they tried out something new - we stayed in Nassau until 2 a.m. until 7. From what I was told, they did this for several reasons.

One, they wanted to give the passengers a chance to experience the nightlife in Nassau since it was possible. They also wanted to give the crew a chance to get off for a little... especially those who do/did not get off until midnight. We were the only ship at port, the sea conditions were smooth and clear to Castaway Cay, and I was told that Nassau approved this. I do not know if this will be done and if so when, but I know that we did not know of this until the night before at the show and when we got our Navigators.

I will post a review soon. We had a great time... some great things about the cruise and some things that can definitely be approved, but it was definitely a great 4 days and nights. Feel free to post any questions.

When we took our March Carnival Cruise last year they did the same. We had a WONDERFUL time enjoying the nightlife! :woohoo: It was probably the only thing we missed not doing on our DCL August trip.

We had the old menus... I believe our sailing was the last one with these menus. It was my first time on Disney, and I really enjoyed the dining room food and the menus, but I will be interested to see the changes they make with the new ones.

We did the same thing when we were in Nassau on a 5 night Magic cruise a couple years ago at Christmas time. They said they do it as often as possible to give the crew some time off. It was pretty crowded that time and they were having a "junkaroo" - post Christmas wild street celebration so it was really crazy. We were on the boat but our servers said they had a great time!

Hi all,

So I got back from the 4-night Wonder cruise on Thursday. We were told that our sailing was the second one in which they tried out something new - we stayed in Nassau until 2 a.m. until 7. From what I was told, they did this for several reasons.

One, they wanted to give the passengers a chance to experience the nightlife in Nassau since it was possible. They also wanted to give the crew a chance to get off for a little... especially those who do/did not get off until midnight. We were the only ship at port, the sea conditions were smooth and clear to Castaway Cay, and I was told that Nassau approved this. I do not know if this will be done and if so when, but I know that we did not know of this until the night before at the show and when we got our Navigators.

I will post a review soon. We had a great time... some great things about the cruise and some things that can definitely be approved, but it was definitely a great 4 days and nights. Feel free to post any questions.

I know you were very hesitant about actually going after you heard about no more live entertainment. How did you find the entertainment on your cruise and did it affect your experience at all? Did you rebook onboard?

MJ

They did the same thing for the same reasons on our May 2008 Western. They stayed in Cozumel till 2 am. I hear they do this every once in a while.

If I remember correctly, when we cruised DCL the 1st time 10 years ago, this was standard. We stayed in Nassau until at least midnight. People were getting off after dinner and going to Paradise Island.

They kept the ship in Nassau until 2am for my Dec 7-11 cruise as well.

I didn't really feel like getting off the ship, but I did enjoy seeing Nassau at night.

Our 9/27/08 7 day cruise we stayed at Cozumel pretty late, I believe it was 2am. I wish the port would have gotten the memo,lmao. We went out shopping for last minute souvenirs and almost every single shop closed at 9pm!

They did this on our first 4-night cruise in April '06. We were told that if the crew did well, they could earn extra hours in Nassau, and when they did that, the ship stayed in port until 2am.

Maybe these crew "treat" nights were so popular with guests that they decided to change some itineraries for good! :cool1:

Amanda

We are not fans of ports, so for us the only advantage of staying in port late at night is getting some awesome pictures of the ship!

MagicAtNight.jpg

The shopper in me needs to know if that meant that the on board shops were not open that night while the ship remained in port?

Hey all,

These 'late night Nassau' days are rewards given to the crew for a job well done. For example, when Conde announced the Wonder as the #1 large cruise ship, they got a Late Night Nassau. They also always get this when they exceed the 'Captain's Challenge' on guest service scores or liquor sales or any other challenge he gives them. It's a 100% crew reward program. The Magic does the same thing, mostly in Key West but occasionally in Cozumel. I have been on two Late Night Nassau trips and I recommend getting off and enjoying Nassau at night! I loved it and pray for one every time I am on the Wonder. =)

Kevin

The shopper in me needs to know if that meant that the on board shops were not open that night while the ship remained in port?

They are open. They get special permission from the local government to open since 99.9% of passengers stay on the ship.

Great for the crew for sure. Not sure it makes a big difference for passengers since I bet most are in bed hours before the ship leaves. Never seen on a cruise line where folks go to bed so early.

Great for the crew for sure. Not sure it makes a big difference for passengers since I bet most are in bed hours before the ship leaves. Never seen on a cruise line where folks go to bed so early.

You are not lying on that one! Thats why I am gonna try RCCL. I like nightlife too! =)

You are not lying on that one! Thats why I am gonna try RCCL. I like nightlife too! =)

Yeah, throw in that I'm a West Coaster.......and the time difference.....and about midnight on the ship is about when I'm gearing up for some dancing and adult beverages.
Funny, my kids are 18 and 22 now. I have to be a work at 3 am. My wife has to be at work at 6 am During school breaks, usually both kids are still up when be BOTH go to work, so the kids are bigger nightowls than us!!!

You will love RCCL then. We took Liberty Of the Seas last year and one night the comedian's show started at 11pm. I think we commented on the night life differences between DCL and RCCL every night as we were going to our room at 2 am. We are doing Freeedom this June and we cannot wait.

Dave

I would love to be on one of the cruises that manages to stay later at a port. I would love to see everything lit up and take pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter