We see the surgeon for a consult on Monday.. UPDATED 3/13

Mackey Mouse

Me read the Navigator? I don't
Yesterday was not a great day.. I did battle with the MGH billing department, why do they have to be so mean. They send bills, just the amount with no explanation. I have insurance, good insurance, so I asked for a breakdown as to what this over $300 bill was for. Never got it, they sent another bill, I called again. They claimed they sent it, I never received it.. I requested it again....they sent it. I looked it over, we both looked it over, and then I immediately paid it. I got another bill, this time threatening a collection agency. Do you believe this? I call again, spoke to someone who was so snippy and said, well we never received the check. I said I sent it on such and such day...well you have to send a copy of it, front and back, to prove you sent it. So then I call my bank, it has not been cashed, I stopped payment... I call back the hospital and got someone nice, she said, it takes over two weeks for the check to process....it had not been two weeks.. I said I would resend the check, but I had stopped payment on the other one as no one told me it took the two weeks and I asked to speak to a supervisor...she was not available. I then just made payment with my credit card... dear God, the harrassment is just not worth it..

The supervisor calls me back.. nasty...and says there was no fault on the part of the hospital and if I choose to pay my bills the old fashioned way with a paper check then I should know it takes almost two weeks.. I am at a loss here.. In the meantime, I tell me daughter and we had still not heard anything from the oncologist who was suppose to talk to the surgeon about removing the lymph node on my DH....over 2 weeks.. sometimes you just get so worn down.. Anyway my daughter wrote an email to the oncologist and said she was doing this for her Mother who had had just about enough today with MGH and had been treated badly by the billing department ....

Anyway, his secretary called and we have a consult with the surgeon on Monday, to discuss whether we can get the lymph node that has the cancer removed. Sorry about the epistle, but what a day...how about a little compassion by these hospitals to the loved ones of seriously ill patients who are trying to do the very best they can...I might say with not much help from them..

I am annoyed today just thinking about yesterday, but will try to put it out of my head and have a great weekend..

Sorry about the epistle...but it is cathartic to write it..

UPDATE: Tom's surgeon was quite helpful.. he is willing to take it out, but the darn thing is not easy to get to and behind the clavicle. He asked us to think about this as he can do a lot of damage in there, there are clavicle veins that if damaged can cause a lot of problems. He said if it is going to change the course of his treatment, i.e. no more chemo, then he would consider it if he was Tom. But here's the thing, they do not know. Since Tom is not casebook, they are in unchartered territory here.. even the oncologist does not know what is going on here. So.. we as a family, the 5 of us talked over dinner and have decided to wait until the next scan to see what is going on. If after the next scan, it is still just there, then we need to think about this surgery. According to the surgeon, it can be as difficult as the whipple in recovery and quite painful, cutting through the muscles and getting behind the clavicle.. Why couldn't it just be easy? The good thing is that he and our oncologist both think aggressively and I am pleased with that. He thought Tom looked great and believe it or not.. he is 2 years out on a cancer that kills in the 98% range.. so we are blessed....

I don't post here often, but I read every day.

Hugs to you and your DH. You certainly have more than your share to handle. I wish people would use common sense a little more often. It is often not what you say, but how you say it..

I hope writing it out did help you, as you said. It is good therapy.

I hope you have a good weekend..And maybe the temperature is starting to warm up a little in your neck of the woods..

:hug:

Hey Marsha! Sorry for the crappy day you had. Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day... I hope you can enjoy the sunshine and forget about the dorks at MGH!! Hugs to you and Tommy. ~~~ Jenn and Peter

:hug: It is exhausting just listening to all you had to go through. My prayers are with you!

Hi Marsha: Isn't this all too frustrating?? I'm so sorry you had such a bad day trying to correct a situation that should not have happened in the first place. Guess I am paying my bills the "old" way - paper - also!! There is a poem called "The Tone of your Voice" and I think it would help many people. It's not always how they say things, but how it makes the other person feel and that is so important.

I hope you were able to recuperate part of the day and have a good rest of the weekend. Hugs, Barb - did you receive the pm I sent you about meeting you in April? I know you've had a busy weekend so just take your time getting back to me. Thanks

Been there and done that. Why everyone has to be so mean, I just don't get it.:confused3 Hoping you had a stress free week-end and good luck tomorrow

Oh Marsha...that just makes me so ANGRY about the billing. grrrrrrrrr
And it should NOT take 2 weeks for them to process a paper check anyway, what the heck is up with that?!?!

And imagine, what do people do who don't HAVE someone like you and your daughters to stay on top of this stuff. uuuggghhhhhh

I am glad you wrote it all down, it is therapeutic....now put it in a bubble and blow it away ...enjoy the rest of the weekend. :hug:

And my best thought and prayers for the consult Monday!!

Hi Marsha: My thoughts will be with you tomorrow for the consultation. Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better today. Barbara

Marsha, good days will come with your bad ones...this is the way the universe works. Sadly, these folks are not in the business of people, they are in the business of money. I wish they thought about the "people" who have to pay them the money. Good luck tomorrow!

Marsha, I am so sorry to hear that you are still having to fight for information.

When you have a loved one with health issues why do they make you go through this? I never did understand this.

It sounds like you have a good, caring surgeon there, Marsha. Your plan sounds solid as well, and it is wonderful you have your family around you to help with these difficult decisions. I will continue to pray for you (and Tom, too!) as you face these challenging days with billing departments and less than compassionate people. Warm hugs to you. :hug:

I too think its great you have an aggressive and caring surgeon. I'm glad to hear he's being proactive. Hugs to you and Tom,, you are indeed blessed. :grouphug:

Marsha, I was so sad to read and hear about Tommy...Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers that each day gets better for you both. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter